Best way to travel from Chiang Rai to Savannakhet?

Will need to go and am starting to try and figure out the best way to get there from Chiang Rai. Will be me, my wife and 11 month old son. Any thoughts as it is a roughly 1000 km trip. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Fly form Chiang Mai to Udon Thani on Nok Air. And then a bus from there to Mukdahan (about 4 hours).

Chiang Rai to Bangkok by air and then to Mukdahan via Nakhon Phanom. Nok Air and Air Asia have fly/ride service to Mukdahan.

Or bus via Udon Thani or Khon Kaen.

• Like 1

also can fly to Savannakhet from Bangkok or Vientiane.... I believe..as an option but more pricy...

It's a long way by bus from Chiang Rai to Savannakhet via Mukdahan...... maybe 15-17 hours but am guessing and depending on connections.

• Like 1

Book a flight and fly, its cheap fast and less physical stress. just go to http://www.google.com and search flights from any city to.any other city and you'll find websites with times and dates.. Either call the airline and book or book directly online with your credit card. If youre really old fashioned you can show up at the airport with cash and the ticket agent will sell you a ticket. Eitherway it will get you your wife and your 11month old son there more safe and more fast than any other mode of transportation.

Just for your information: Why bring wife and baby along on a so long journey? You don't need to "show" them at the Thai embassy in Savannakhet, just bring copy of your wife's ID card, tabien ban and marriage documents with her signatures and the "dragon lady" give you 1 year multiple entry visa. BTW, I dunno if a child can leave Thailand without passport or ID card coffee1.gif

Edited by bander
  • Like 1

Just for your information: Why bring wife and baby along on a so long journey? You don't need to "show" them at the Thai embassy in Savannakhet, just bring copy of your wife's ID card, tabien ban and marriage documents with her signatures and the "dragon lady" give you 1 year multiple entry visa. BTW, I dunno if a child can leave Thailand without passport or ID card coffee1.gif

Well said, but if you must take the ball and chain, you will also get your baby across no problem. Just took my little girl over 2 weeks ago, she is only 4 months old. You just need your child's birth certificate and there is a little bit of extra paperwork you will have to do for your child at the border. Your missus can also cross without a passport as long as she has her ID card. Cheers.

• Like 1

Just a birth certificate and house book is all all that is needed for a child to get a 3 day border pass.

Been there done that with my daughter and granddaughter.

The boat from Chiang Kong via Luangprabang to Vientian would be the most enjoyable if you have time. Boat or bus from there.

If such a boat existed, it would take 4-5 days in a different gh every nite. Murder with a baby. Stop at LP. Done it twice. Great trip. Edited by Baan Buakao

Well said, but if you must take the ball and chain, you will also get your baby across no problem. Just took my little girl over 2 weeks ago, she is only 4 months old. You just need your child's birth certificate and there is a little bit of extra paperwork you will have to do for your child at the border. Your missus can also cross without a passport as long as she has her ID card. Cheers.

son has usa/thai dual citizenship. but i am sure just his thai birth certificate and my wifes tabian baan blue book (his name is in it) is enough

son has usa/thai dual citizenship. but i am sure just his thai birth certificate and my wifes tabian baan blue book (his name is in it) is enough

If you child does not have a Thai passport you will need to get them a border pass. The birth certificate and house book is all that is needed to get it.

There is office to get the border pass just before the bridge entrance.

• Like 1

I recently took an overnight bus from Chiang Mai to mukdahan. arrive 6 AM nicely in time for the 6.30 savanaket bus and the embassy for 9AM, not too bad a night sleep with a pair of earplugs, had to change at phitsanaluk, company was phetprasert.com . nakon chai air only go as far as ubon or khon kaen, I know this aint Chaing Rai but it might help.

On way back it left at 5 or 6 PM, good for picking up the visa and arriving CMX early next morn. about ฿850 one way. not too full so no pre-booking needed.

I recently took an overnight bus from Chiang Mai to mukdahan. arrive 6 AM nicely in time for the 6.30 savanaket bus and the embassy for 9AM, not too bad a night sleep with a pair of earplugs, had to change at phitsanaluk, company was phetprasert.com . nakon chai air only go as far as ubon or khon kaen, I know this aint Chaing Rai but it might help.

On way back it left at 5 or 6 PM, good for picking up the visa and arriving CMX early next morn. about ฿850 one way. not too full so no pre-booking needed.

How many hours was the bus CM to Mukdahan?

leave CMX 2PM arrive phisanaluck 7PM, leave Phisanaluck 9.45PM, arrive Mukdahan 6AM. you can leave CMX at 4pm and change at kon kaen but at 2 am and 1 hour wait. so 16 or 14 ish. i preferred the 2 and a half hour wait and sleeping at 2AM option.

• 1 month later...

i am looking at the phetprasert site and there is not a chiang mai to mukdahan bus from what i am seeing.... but this is something that i would do if it is available.

how long does the visa take to get in savannakhet? same day or next day? ive heard reports of both. just trying to plan this out.

i am looking at the phetprasert site and there is not a chiang mai to mukdahan bus from what i am seeing.... but this is something that i would do if it is available.

how long does the visa take to get in savannakhet? same day or next day? ive heard reports of both. just trying to plan this out.

You may not find a direct bus to Mukdahan. You will probably have to go to Udon Thani or Khoen Khen and change buses there.

At the moment they are doing visas on same date that you apply with a 3 pm pick up time,

how long does the visa take to get in savannakhet? same day or next day? ive heard reports of both. just trying to plan this out.[/quo

How soon do you plan to leave. I have done the CR to Udon and back by bus and by plane.

how long does the visa take to get in savannakhet? same day or next day? ive heard reports of both. just trying to plan this out.[/quo

How soon do you plan to leave. I have done the CR to Udon and back by bus and by plane.

sometime around the 13th. visa is up on the 16th which is a saturday so i would need to be there by the 15th at latest. also possibly considering renting a car and driving with the wife and kid. sleeping in mukdahan night before, crossing border in AM, leaving them in MUK at the hotel and then coming back after visa is processed.

many options. cant decide the best one