Chonburi private school admits preschoolers served two bites of lunch

Lite Beer

Chonburi private school admits preschoolers served two bites of lunch
By Coconuts Bangkok

lunch.jpg?itok=zsoIcD56

Lunch is served, kids! All two lumps of it.

A private school in Chonburi province is on the defensive after these recent photos were taken of the sorriest lunches ever served in its cafeteria to preschool students.

Prasertsuk School’s photos were reposted yesterday online showing the students’ lunch – which pretty much is two pitiful spoons of rice, a splash of curry and chocolate wafer - to resounding criticism online, prompting some interesting excuses from the school.

Prasertsuk School claims on Facebook they try to teach the babies to finish their food by serving them only two bites of lunch as a starter.

"Those photos are our pre-kindergarten lunch,” the admin of the school’s page explained. “Children this age would mainly drink milk, but we also make sure they eat food as well. The children can request to refill their plates as many times as they want. The quantity we serve each grade is different.”

They fell back on the usual shoot-the-messenger defense: Someone is being mean.

"The photos were taken and spread by people who aim to damage our school's reputation when they don't know how we run things,” it continued. “The guardians need not to worry.”

Still, how well do 2-year-olds understand the food-requesting system? Don't they just bounce away with a toy if there’s nothing to stuff in their face?

After the photos were released on Pantip by a mother who saw them online, let’s just say a few netizens think differently.

Read More: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/06/08/chonburi-private-school-admits-preschoolers-served-two-bites-lunch

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-06-08

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

..."they try to teach the babies to finish their food"...

No babies in that pic.

"“Children this age would mainly drink milk, but we also make sure they eat food as well."

Get real. They're trying to minimize costs in order to maximize profit. Parents, take out your kids from there. The food policy will only be a symptom for more stupidity and abuse.

this what you get you force young kids start school so early just for sake of making money for schools.

• Like 1

Assuming the food quality is good the portion size element seems fairly reasonable. I wish my Mrs had been taught this one plate at a time approach rather than five plates, I'm full then doggy bag home approach.

Whether or not at this age they will actually learn I am not so sure but any ulterior motives or Oliver Twist connotations aside, teaching children about greed and waste seems like a positive thing. There are no doubt pro's and cons with this approach, if I had a child at this school I'd talk directly with the school to get the full picture and then take a balanced view.

Edited by Bangel72
  • Like 1

Perhaps the complaining mother may wish to explain the quite substantial Egg ball or whatever the brown ball is in the wider left photo that is missing in the right close up photo. With that inclusive in the meal it looks plenty for pre schoolers - saying looks without being able to determine what the brown ball is and access it's healthiness.

I agree. Looking at the plates on the table, it seems enough to me if the food is good. Looking only at the closeup of the plate seems disingenuous.

• Like 1

Perhaps the complaining mother may wish to explain the quite substantial Egg ball or whatever the brown ball is in the wider left photo that is missing in the right close up photo. With that inclusive in the meal it looks plenty for pre schoolers - saying looks without being able to determine what the brown ball is and access it's healthiness.

I agree. Looking at the plates on the table, it seems enough to me if the food is good. Looking only at the closeup of the plate seems disingenuous.

Don't forget, those plates are child-size plates, and not normal size. So in reality, it's a <deleted> disgrace. Look at the plates below the assistant's view. They're child stomach sized, and then they get the measly portion on the reduced plate size. I can't think in anybody's book they'd truly agree with such an obvious BS policy.

Growing children have a pretty healthy appetite and that isn't enough food to satisfy them. As for the milk bit, I don't see any milk on the table for the kids to drink.

But don't worry, most will have to have 20 - 40 baht and will buy candy, ice-cream or some other sugary snack to fill the void.

• Like 2

A lot of schools serve poor lunches which are far from being a balanced meal. The students then spend a fair amount of money on snacks and the snacks they chose are not particularly healthy.

At our school, several of the foreign teachers had to ask that the vendors stock fresh fruit. They replied that no one buys it. A talk with the administration did get them to be forced to have some fresh fruit for sale. We have a few teachers who are vegetarian and like to have an edible snack available. Oh, and the students do buy the fruit occasionally as well.

• Like 2

They overcompensate that with good quality education, yes.

"quality education"cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

"After the photos were released on Pantip by a mother who saw them online, let’s just say a few netizens think differently." Whats a "netizens" ?whistling.gif

Looks like an okay amount for 2-3 yr olds.

Nah -- the school lied.

Sorry, no vegetables?

What a crock it's enough for little ones. A total crock.

Meat, rice, water and one cookie is not a nutritious meal. No way. No how. The school flunked....but I forgot...everyone passes here.

sad.png

It's up to the parents to make sure that they're children are eating enough fruit and veg etc. every day.

Breakfast, some banana and mango before school.

Dinner, a veg dish included every evening.

Snacks - fresh fruit.

But perhaps it's too much trouble for parents like you.

I am very unimpressed by the quality of the food in the school of my son too, but that's not the main problem.

The main dish is mainly rice with almost no proteins or vegetables. The students can refill as often as they like, but they don't do it because it's not nice food.

So, the school sells fried chicken nuggets, fried fish balls, KFC style chicken and so on - which the students buy to get some proteins. And after the meal they go to buy candy and sugared drinks in the candyshop of the school, which is just beside the foodcourt. I try to give my son only 20B per day, but the result is that he almost only eats candy. If I don't give him this 20B, he has to survive on a prison style meal.

The school my son goes to is one of the more expensive private schools in this area.

Why on Earth don't you give him some food to bring?

A banana for after breakfast. An apple for after lunch.

Perhaps look at yourself more than look at the school.

• Like 1

It's hard to get into the good schools. None of the parents dares to complain. It's like this in almost every school. There's no real alternative. Giving food from home is fine, but if the children get money, they'll not eat it. Also all children get money, if your child is the only one without money, the teachers will give him/her the leftovers of the candy of the of the other children - to teach them to share.

None of the school I know in my country has a candy shop or sells deep fried snacks. These things should not be sold in a school.

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1

Nah -- the school lied.

Sorry, no vegetables?

Meat, rice, water and one cookie is not a nutritious meal. No way. No how. The school flunked....but I forgot...everyone passes here.

sad.png

Meat, rice, water and one cookie is not a nutritious meal.

Erm..... Yes it is, very well balanced in protein, carbs, hydration, energy.

I take it you are NOT a nutritionist.

It's hard to get into the good schools. None of the parents dares to complain. It's like this in almost every school. There's no real alternative. Giving food from home is fine, but if the children get money, they'll not eat it. Also all children get money, if your child is the only one without money, the teachers will give him/her the leftovers of the candy of the of the other children - to teach them to share.

None of the school I know in my country has a candy shop or sells deep fried snacks. These things should not be sold in a school.

When I was at school in the UK, there was a sweet shop in the school. It only sold sweets. This was in the time before enlightenment.

• Like 1

More photos on :

http://pantip.com/topic/32151744

All these photos were made before the children started to eat.

The children also never get pork in this school because pork meat is too expensive according to the school.

They only get chicken pieces (leftovers, not steak or a whole piece).

The brown ball you see is a rambutan.

http://f.ptcdn.info/759/019/000/1401955432-1044292810-o.jpg

The students on the photo are students in the international program of the school. Price per term : 27000B

If I would be a parent, I would visit the school during lunch time.

2 year old children also don't ask for more food. The just eat what you give them.

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1

Nah -- the school lied.

Sorry, no vegetables?

sad.png

Meat, rice, water and one cookie is not a nutritious meal.

Erm..... Yes it is, very well balanced in protein, carbs, hydration, energy.

I take it you are NOT a nutritionist.

Not saying that this food is the bees knees, but the so called best schools in the UK haven't exactly been covering themselves in culinary glory.

We were fed so horrendously that toast and extra kebabs were needed to make up the difference having played sport every day.