Ingrowing toenail

Forkinhades

This happened to me years ago; when I was 15 years old. Had this nasty ingrown toenail on my right big toe. It got seriously infected. I was playing high school football as a defensive lineman, and my feet were constantly getting stepped on by big, heavy offensive linemen on the opposing teams. I used this over-the-counter liquid stuff that toughened up the tissue around the toenail and it also temporarily numbed the pain so I could keep on playing. But after the end of football season, my toe was seriously swollen, oozing gobs of pus, blood and extremely painful.

One of my older brothers had just gotten his MD and was working as an intern in a big hospital in Oregon. I went to visit him around Christmas time and he, another older brother and I were supposed to go cross country skiing...yeah, right, cross country skiing with a seriously infected and painful ingrown toenail. So he took me to the hospital he was working at, and introduced me to the chief resident surgeon. We were in the emergency ward and this surgeon wanted to inspect my toe, but the head nurse on duty was wary that we hadn't signed in and claimed any insurance or some other method of payment. The surgeon told her he was just going to look at it and not perform any procedure or treatment, so she let us go into an examining room. Once we got in the examining room, he closed the door, took a look at my toe and said to me, "How tough are you?". I replied, "What do you mean?". He says, "Well, that toenail needs to be cut out so your toe can heal. Then when you get back home, you'll need to go in for out-patient surgery to have some of the excess tissue surrounding the toenail to be removed to fix the cause of the ingrown toenail. I can't do that here because you don't have insurance for Oregon. But if you can handle some pain, I can quickly cut out part of your toenail with no anesthetic to stop it from getting worse and let it heal for now." So my two brothers held me down, the surgeon gave me a piece of wood to bite on and he pulled out a pair of surgical scissors from his lab coat, and very quickly, like within a few seconds, cut down into the cuticle of my toenail, then used a pair of pliers and yanked out about 1/2 my toenail that was ingrown. The pain was unbelievable but only lasted a few seconds. My two older brothers were laughing hysterically. But, we went back to my Dr. brother's place, I soaked my toe in hot water with Epsom salts, and the next day we went cross country skiing and my toe was fine; no pain. When I got back home, I had out patient surgery with local anesthetic and the excess tissue was removed and I've never had problems with it again. True story.

Pattaya Inter doctors have done mine, they will try and talk you into having the whole nail off. May grow back perfect may not but with anaesthetic they can can take it out, just show them where to start cutting, as in how far towards the centre of your toe.

My wife does mine before they get into serious state,seems to derived great pleasure

on inflicting pain,with the thing the looks like its for taking stones out of horses hoofs!

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Had some trouble with mine. I finally let them grow out on there own and my toes are fine now. It was a mild case compared to some though.

How does an ingrown toenail "grow out"? It's either ingrown or it isn't, and if it's ingrown it has to be cut out. It doesn't cure itself.

Yes it does.

Not possible, obviously was not a ingrowing toenail, that grows into the side of the toe causing immense pain, surgery is the only cure for this condition, been there and suffered for months before getting it cut

Yes, go to a hospital and get it fixed properly. If you don't, you will suffer more in the long run. My grandfather had a horrendous experience with one. I once got frostbitten on three toes while winter mountaineering, and the frost killed the outer (diagonal) half of my big toenail, which sloughed off. Doctors told me to be careful nursing the future re-growth of that toenail, as it would tend to be ingrown. I went right to a foot doctor, who set it right and instructed me on how to nurse it. Here in Thailand, doctors should speak enough English to give you good advice, so have a list of questions ready for them. Good luck!

• Like 1

I brought my daughter (10 yo) to a clinic in Soi Kautalo ...

We have been there many times. The thai doctor is very careful, gave

local Anastasia, and remove only the offending section (about 1/3 of

the nail) - no need to remove the entire nail ....

Great service, very cheap ....

luudee

Yes it does.

No it doesn't. I have had an ingrown nail on my right big toe since 1993.

The doctor who "fixed it" in the UK told me it would never grow again.

He lied.

Over the years I have had it treated in a few countries but it always grows back.

My local doctor treats/trims it every couple of months for about 400 baht.

Yes it does.

No it doesn't. I have had an ingrown nail on my right big toe since 1993.

The doctor who "fixed it" in the UK told me it would never grow again.

He lied.

Over the years I have had it treated in a few countries but it always grows back.

My local doctor treats/trims it every couple of months for about 400 baht.

Shame about that. I had both big toe nail beds removed back in 1979. Front row rugby player. They never grew back, but if they did I think I would blow them off with a shotgun. That nail bed operation was no fun

I now have 2 smaller ingrown nails, one on either foot. I learned just to cut into the side as much as possible and tear the offending part off. Painful for a minute or so, but worth it.

• 6 months later...

I brought my daughter (10 yo) to a clinic in Soi Kautalo ...

We have been there many times. The thai doctor is very careful, gave

local Anastasia, and remove only the offending section (about 1/3 of

the nail) - no need to remove the entire nail ....

Great service, very cheap ....

luudee

Can you tell me the name of the clinic and phone no.? I do not know Soi kautalo thanks