Thousands of dead crabs wash ashore in Phuket on World Ocean's Day

Lite Beer

Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Tens of thousands of dead sea crabs were spotted this morning on the shore of Pa Lai Beach in Phuket's Chalong sub-district.

1402215047_1-org.jpg

Today happens to be World Ocean's Day, a day first designated in 2002 to honour the world's oceans and celebrate the products the ocean provides. More information here.

To this point there have been no official statements or tests conducted to clarify the cause of the crabs' mass exodus.

In related news, Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) this week began the construction of an underwater ice wall to staunch massive amounts of contaminated groundwater that have been flowing into the sea from the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear complex. Read more here.

Whether there is a link with the dead crabs found in Phuket this morning has yet to be confirmed or dismissed.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/thousands-of-dead-crabs-wash-ashore-in-phuket-on-world-oceans-day-46731.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-06-08

A Burmese crab fishing boat sank just off shore, killing all the crabs through shock, which then all washed ashore. Love Thailand. Thailand good. Smile.

Edited by 332

I read there is hundreds of tonnes of highly contaminated water being released every day at Fukushima , could this be the cause., lets hope not otherwise the ecosystems within the oceans are in deep trouble.

• Like 1

...And in a [hopefully] unrelated news:

MASS FISH DEATHS: MILLIONS HAVE BEEN FOUND DEAD ALL OVER THE WORLD IN THE PAST MONTH

http://www.the-open-mind.com/mass-fish-deaths-millions-have-been-found-dead-all-over-the-world-in-the-past-month/

I hope this is not heralding something worse.... The sky is about to fall on our heads...

...And in a [hopefully] unrelated news: MASS FISH DEATHS: MILLIONS HAVE BEEN FOUND DEAD ALL OVER THE WORLD IN THE PAST MONTH

http://www.the-open-mind.com/mass-fish-deaths-millions-have-been-found-dead-all-over-the-world-in-the-past-month/

I hope this is not heralding something worse.... The sky is about to fall on our heads...

Although several of those incidents can be traced to specific events, it is still a frightening trend.

Maybe it has something to do with the polluted water in those klongs, i noted on the Thai govt met site Phuket has had some heavy rain,i would suspect this could have washed the blackwater out and killed the unfortunate crabs.

More than likely.

The BOD of that klong water would be easily enough to suck all the oxygen out of shallow water.

Maybe it has something to do with the polluted water in those klongs, i noted on the Thai govt met site Phuket has had some heavy rain,i would suspect this could have washed the blackwater out and killed the unfortunate crabs.

More than likely.

The BOD of that klong water would be easily enough to suck all the oxygen out of shallow water.

Not suggesting you are incorrect; however, those are larger crabs and I am not certain they are found at the shallow depths and near enough to shore for what you describe. That klong water is some really toxic effluent, isn't it?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Whether there is a link with the dead crabs found in Phuket this morning has yet to be confirmed or dismissed."

Thousands of winged insects died in a pile outside my house yesterday. A link to this and the Fukishima Daiichi reactor has also yet to be confirmed or dismissed. alt=rolleyes.gif>

That link has now been established as it is discussed on TV.

A couple of weeks ago there were dozens of dead baby jellyfish on Banana Beach between Bang Tao and Nai Thon. The bright blue kind...

The ocean is dying yet we all still using plastic and throwing it away as if that makes it actually go away. It ALL has to be recycled... endlessly..

I'm sure radiation is having an affect, probably not here, yet but west coast of US. Probably in a few years - thanks to Japanese fear of loss of face- the entire globe will be poisoned.

Glad I'm not any younger. Truly think my generation has seen the best of the planet.