Drinking and walking around shopping malls...

Pattaya Pat

Depends where you live, I can quite easily walk to 7/11 mimi Tesco or Big C and the beach all in less than 5 minutes. If you are stuck out in the boonies on the Darkside with the cheap charlies then yes it would be different. Location Pat makes a large difference to quality of life.

Phom. I suspect this is a bit 'tongue in cheek' about the Cheap Charlie's. I live out by the lake and can easily fill my day without going anywhere near the big city!.

Sure I play golf maybe 2 times a week and also go for long walks to Horseshoe Point. Also...

Go to fitness centre now and then

Listen to UK radio on line with remote headphones so you can potter about the house at the same time.

Read plenty of good books, particularly during the hot part of the day.

Get yourself 1000 piece jigsaws - they will give you hours of pleasure and exercise the mind.

Now, these are the sort of things I suspect I would be doing in the UK, but there I can't of course have the warm weather every day. Don't miss pubs as I rarely used them. Love to do some voluntary work, but all this stuff about work permits etc. puts me off.

Where I do sympathise with the original poster is in respect to shops. On the rare occasions I go into town I find that I can't "mooch" around the shops as there's always some-one following you and insisting you should buy x not y. They have lost a lot of trade from me over the years by making me feel uncomfortable in shops and I've walked out. When I was in the UK with my wife I went to the opticians and my Thai wife went into Marks and Spencer's next door for an hour. Afterwards I asked her if she had been pestered and she said 'no it was great' and she finally bought a jacket. She had no intention of buying anything specific at the start.

Bit of a ramble really, but I think living here is all about 'being at peace with yourself" and accepting there is no Shangri-La and that Pattaya is right for some but not others..wai.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends where you live, I can quite easily walk to 7/11 mimi Tesco or Big C and the beach all in less than 5 minutes. If you are stuck out in the boonies on the Darkside with the cheap charlies then yes it would be different. Location Pat makes a large difference to quality of life.

I've rarely read such a nonsense saai.gif.pagespeed.ce.f25DL0fHCd.gif

cheesy.gif

• Like 1

There are a few golf courses.

Run with any of the many hash house harriers groups.

Buy old motorcycles and restore them

Buy old cars and restore them

Learn to speak Thai

Race 1,500 & 1,600cc honda's at bira circuit

Hang glide

Build and ultralight and fly it

Go hiking up in Khao Yai National Park

Go over to Cambodia and hang out around the temples and Siem Riep

Go over to Luang Prabang in Lao and just hang out on the mekong river...or same in Phnom Penh (though that is a tributary)

Back to Pattaya -

- Help out at Father Ray's

- Try a new restaurant once a week, depends on your budget, but there is no lack of variety.

- Join a gym and get some regular excersize

- Get a juicing machine and make your own fruit juices (will make the gym work a bit easier if you are juicing)

- Trivia night at quite a few pubs, same night every week...google or ask around.

- go to Collingbourne Auction on Saturday mornings and buy or sell junk

- I'm sure if you look, you will find other things to do.

But don't try and listen to the local English language radio stations. Their shut down indefinitely!

I can understand him partially.

I lived near Suvannahbumi Airport (long before opening and for a short while during operation), in a nice village with a small lake.

Could walk with the dogs or rode bicycle around the lake without the danger, to be wiped out the next moment....

Sometimes a barbecue with friends or neighbours at the lake.

Five minutes away, we had a well maintained Park with an Aircon Gym and Pool, where people met all the day for sporting activities, like football, badminton, etc.

Lot's of smaller restaurants near the road, where you could enjoy a dinner or just a beer, without the permanent noise pollution.

Not (too many) drunken idiots and "some other kind of people" anyway.

Ohh, and I've learned cooking during my jobless period.

But I moved due to the airport noise and for business reasons.

Didn't like it from the first day, but unfortunately can't move now.

Pattaya is what it is and always was and I suspect, it won't change in the near future. (except more traffic/noise/people and everything related to that)

If you're looking for a really nice, civilized and clean place to live, Pattaya should be probably not your first choice...

(I would choose another location, if I could, definitely wai2.gif)

For the last time I'm talking about Thailand not just Pattaya, it's pretty much the same everywhere here.

Name me one street anywhere where there are normal people just wandering around the shops on their own or with family at their leisure, free of danger, maniac drivers, being pestered etc on wide clean even pavements...it simply doesn't exist here. In most countries you can go out your front door (on foot) go for a stroll around the local shops, the park etc spend an hour and come back...

• Like 1

Have to say am total opposite to OP.....I get to work wihin 5 minutes, no traffic or parking problems. Befor being in Thailand if i was lucky enough to get or be able to afford a parking space at work, I could park my car there after a 75 minute journey to go less than 10 miles....or else be crushed like a sardine in a tin on a bus. Now the extra time I have EVERY day I can enjoy time at the gym, walks in the park or the beach, watching TV or any other activities...Look at Jims list above,and thats just a few of the options....things are there if you look for them. In all honestly, when you were in London, did you stroll round the corner shops every day of every week of every month...hardly likely .

Learn to speak Thai

Hang glide

Go over to Luang Prabang in Lao and just hang out on the mekong river...or same in Phnom Penh (though that is a tributary)

Back to Pattaya -

- Try a new restaurant once a week, depends on your budget, but there is no lack of variety.

- Get a juicing machine and make your own fruit juices (will make the gym work a bit easier if you are juicing)

- Trivia night at quite a few pubs, same night every week...google or ask around.

You don't get it do you...

And oh, I think I can afford to eat out once a week. I'm a real high flyer, don't ya know..

Have to say am total opposite to OP.....I get to work wihin 5 minutes, no traffic or parking problems. Befor being in Thailand if i was lucky enough to get or be able to afford a parking space at work, I could park my car there after a 75 minute journey to go less than 10 miles....or else be crushed like a sardine in a tin on a bus. Now the extra time I have EVERY day I can enjoy time at the gym, walks in the park or the beach, watching TV or any other activities...Look at Jims list above,and thats just a few of the options....things are there if you look for them. In all honestly, when you were in London, did you stroll round the corner shops every day of every week of every month...hardly likely .

Let's be honest, it's totally uncivilised here. Thnk about that and you should be able to see where i'm coming from...

Learn to speak Thai

Hang glide

Back to Pattaya -

You don't get it do you...

And oh, I think I can afford to eat out once a week. I'm a real high flyer, don't ya know..

Guess not! No funny handshake lodge that I am aware of, try Bangkok if that is what you are looking for!

Why would anyone move to Thailand expecting a different scene then moan about how its not the same as where they left ? Doesn't make any sense to me. Of course it's different. That's what most people enjoy.

Thai's 'moan' about it as well.

It's nigh ime they started cleaning this country up. It's a dump.

• Like 1

Why would anyone move to Thailand expecting a different scene then moan about how its not the same as where they left ? Doesn't make any sense to me. Of course it's different. That's what most people enjoy.

Must agree, the place is a mess, like a 3rd world country really! Seen it like this in Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines too!

Nobody seems to care that their natural environment can't clean itself up!

Guess that's why I have plans to move away one day. Not sure where, but a cleaner place would be on the list for what I am looking for.

In the interim, put up with it and don't expect it to improve and I am not disappointed!

Travel around Thailand or neighboring countries for short trips and you will never get bored also you will want to go back to familiar surrounding after all the experience's you had on the road.

Good tip and I do travel but it's not practical to keep doing that.

I mean general stuff instead of this groundhog day existance. It's all rather worrying...there are only so many times a day you can sort the missus out.

First get your missus a job, she seems to take up too much of your time

Must agree, the place is a mess, like a 3rd world country really! Seen it like this in Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines too!

Nobody seems to care that their natural environment can't clean itself up!

Guess that's why I have plans to move away one day. Not sure where, but a cleaner place would be on the list for what I am looking for.

In the interim, put up with it and don't expect it to improve and I am not disappointed!

Agreed. If one reads what I've said my main gripe is that you can't just stroll around for an hour or 2 with family etc in a clean, civilised, normal manner, unless you go to a mall. I'm not gonna go through all the reasons why again as I have done so already, and I know that I am right.

The way I see it is when such a pleasant civilised thing like that that you use to take for granted is not available it really does raise a huge question mark on where you are living IMO..

Phom. I suspect this is a bit 'tongue in cheek' about the Cheap Charlie's. I live out by the lake and can easily fill my day without going anywhere near the big city!.

Sure I play golf maybe 2 times a week and also go for long walks to Horseshoe Point. Also...

Listen to UK radio on line with remote headphones so you can potter about the house at the same time.

Get yourself 1000 piece jigsaws - they will give you hours of pleasure and exercise the mind.

Now, these are the sort of things I suspect I would be doing in the UK, but there I can't of course have the warm weather every day. Don't miss pubs as I rarely used them. Love to do some voluntary work, but all this stuff about work permits etc. puts me off.

Where I do sympathise with the original poster is in respect to shops. On the rare occasions I go into town I find that I can't "mooch" around the shops as there's always some-one following you and insisting you should buy x not y. They have lost a lot of trade from me over the years by making me feel uncomfortable in shops and I've walked out. When I was in the UK with my wife I went to the opticians and my Thai wife went into Marks and Spencer's next door for an hour. Afterwards I asked her if she had been pestered and she said 'no it was great' and she finally bought a jacket. She had no intention of buying anything specific at the start.

Bit of a ramble really, but I think living here is all about 'being at peace with yourself" and accepting there is no Shangri-La and that Pattaya is right for some but not others..wai.gif

Very good post, being at peace with yourself and the world is brilliant. When someone comes onto a forum and moans about thai society, bar girls, not like it used to be, complains about thais riding the opposite direction, then does the same, has a dig at the government about corruption, then complains when a copper doesnt allow him to stick a couple hundred baht in his pocket, he actualy has to go to the cop shop and pay there. Hilarious beyond words.

• Like 1

Very good post, being at peace with yourself and the world is brilliant. When someone comes onto a forum and moans about thai society, bar girls, not like it used to be, complains about thais riding the opposite direction, then does the same, has a dig at the government about corruption, then complains when a copper doesnt allow him to stick a couple hundred baht in his pocket, he actualy has to go to the cop shop and pay there. Hilarious beyond words.

Flinty- totally agree with that.

I've been here for 18 years so totally know the score, but as I get older I want some civilisation in my life.

Do you watch Sky News? Out in the high streets you see folk just strolling around leisurely, winow shopping, whatever, and quite often on those very wide streets (often cobbled) where cars cannot enter...I would love something like that here, does that make me bad or a whinger? but instead it's a complete unciviilise dirty mess.

I've been here for 18 years so totally know the score, but as I get older I want some civilisation in my life.

Do you watch Sky News? Out in the high streets you see folk just strolling around leisurely, winow shopping, whatever, and quite often on those very wide streets (often cobbled) where cars cannot enter...I would love something like that here, does that make me bad or a whinger? but instead it's a complete unciviilise dirty mess.

There is a nice one in HCMC http://www.hcmc.com/the-crescent

If the Vietnamese can do it, surely it can be done in Thailand too.

Not very much info on the website really but think Singapore, Robinson Walk or Clarke Quay but done better with more space!

Pipe-and-slippers mode & erectile dysfunction now call for your return to the nanny state, sooner rather than later.

That makes you whinger, yes, for wanting the impossible here and something that the vast majority of Pattaya expats would find excruciatingly boring in a week at the outside. In fact, they came to PTY to escape just such humdrum.

You'd probably find it quite boring as well--so what we really have here is merely a little "grass is greener" pipe dream. Probably a cry for attention, as you know you'll reject (as you have) any suggestion of any activity that isn't just "strolling around leisurely, winow shopping, whatever, and quite often on those very wide streets (often cobbled) where cars cannot enter." Which you know doesn't exist in SE Asian countries except to some extent in Singapore. You could live near the Botanical Garden in Penang, but without the required High Street shops very nearby.

What you don't see is folk strolling around leisurely there in the snow. You don't see any sea view, either.

And you don't see them strolling into a go-go bar. Rather than watch Sky News, watch the LK Metro webcam. smile.png I'd INFINITELY rather window shop, whatever, maybe arrange a delightful threesome for later, in one of those than in one of your High Street shops! I can't see how strolling is more fun than motorbiking--my own preferred mode of transport.

I do have a friend who lives w/ his young Thai wife in a condo quite near Emporium in BKK. He strolls there, no problem on the sidewalks, and walks around, no traffic. What you'd NEED from a High Street shop that you can't find there, I dunno. Given the relative cost of living near High Street, and with whom you'd likely be living, I'd take his situation any day. Since that's really your thing--and that's all you want--then give it try.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

I lived near Suvannahbumi Airport (long before opening and for a short while during operation), in a nice village with a small lake.

Could walk with the dogs or rode bicycle around the lake without the danger, to be wiped out the next moment....

Five minutes away, we had a well maintained Park with an Aircon Gym and Pool, where people met all the day for sporting activities, like football, badminton, etc.

Lot's of smaller restaurants near the road, where you could enjoy a dinner or just a beer, without the permanent noise pollution.

Pattaya is what it is and always was and I suspect, it won't change in the near future. (except more traffic/noise/people and everything related to that)

If you're looking for a really nice, civilized and clean place to live, Pattaya should be probably not your first choice...

For the last time I'm talking about Thailand not just Pattaya, it's pretty much the same everywhere here.

Name me one street anywhere where there are normal people just wandering around the shops on their own or with family at their leisure, free of danger, maniac drivers, being pestered etc on wide clean even pavements...it simply doesn't exist here. In most countries you can go out your front door (on foot) go for a stroll around the local shops, the park etc spend an hour and come back...

Siam square is one, I think you need to move to Bangkok its a big city like London with the BTS/MRT, Rail, Parks, Golf clubs, Bowling, English style bars, Massive

modern Shopping centers, Zoo, Hi So American style housing estates, Aquarium, Biggest market in Asia, Modern Gyms, Bath houses, Canals and river boats,

Beautiful women, walking streets, every kind of restaurant you could name, Roof top bars, and the list goes on.....

Have you every even been to Bangkok?

There is a nice one in HCMC http://www.hcmc.com/the-crescent

If the Vietnamese can do it, surely it can be done in Thailand too.

Not very much info on the website really but think Singapore, Robinson Walk or Clarke Quay but done better with more space!

I think you will find it was not the Vietnamese but the French who made that possible.

Siam square is one, I think you need to move to Bangkok its a big city like London with the BTS/MRT, Rail, Parks, Golf clubs, Bowling, English style bars, Massive

modern Shopping centers, Zoo, Hi So American style housing estates, Aquarium, Biggest market in Asia, Modern Gyms, Bath houses, Canals and river boats,

Beautiful women, walking streets, every kind of restaurant you could name, Roof top bars, and the list goes on.....

Have you every even been to Bangkok?

I lived there for 7 years. Next.

• Like 1

I live in BFE Isan with no wife in the middle of a sugar cane field. I pass my time reading stupid questions and responses on TV, FB and Email. Sometime I actually get up and cook and do yard work,

But then I am retired. I do occasionally go out on the bike and tour around Thailand.

• Like 1

You could join an internet forum, stay at home and complain about all things Thai every waking hour.

Seems to work for many Farangs here on TV.

You could spend a day at the magnificent Silver Lake Vineyard, or do some serious sailing out of Ocean Marina. Then there are many diving-schools (a new hobby ?); have lunch at the very lovely "Beer-Garden" at the beginning of the Walking Street; get yourself out to a pistol shooting range - in addition to simply renting a car and just discovering the land around Pattaya . . . . you'll be surprised how different the "country-side" is as opposed to "Pattaya". I've lived on the outskirts of Pattaya for 22 years and I still see 'new-things' almost daily . . . . . . . . .

coffee1.gif