Hong Kong single-entry non-O, retired

In short, don't bother.

Just visited the Thai Consulate in Hong Kong. I was seeking a single-entry non-O visa for an unmarried over-50 applicant on the basis of extending the visa in Thailand for retirement. As far as the consulate in Hong Kong is concerned, a non-O visa is a dependants' visa only; you need to be married or have a child in Thailand to qualify for a non-O visa.

According to the Thai Consulate in Hong Kong, what I was suggesting about extending a non-O visa for retirement in Thailand is impossible. For retirement, one would need to return to Hong Kong and apply specifically for a non-OA visa. And that visa is one they will only issue to Hong Kong citizens/PR holders/etc.

The consulate staff was pleasant enough, neither impolite nor rude. They're simply clueless about this particular process, which is probably indicative of how few few foreigners pass thru their doors making such an attempt.

An hour of my life that I will never get back but not a trip made in vain. I am in the midst of doing some traveling around the region and figured I would take a shot at applying for a non-O visa while I was in Hong Kong. Am off to Penang on Wednesday, hopefully will have better luck there!

• Like 1

You should have better luck in Penang, but if you return to Thailand by air you can convert your entry into a non-immigrant visa.

Not according to the people at the Thai Consulate in Hong Kong! biggrin.png

I know that ultimately that conversion can be done in country. If I can obtain a non-O now while I am out of Thailand, the dates would line up perfectly for my already-scheduled appointment in August to do the extension with immigrations in Chiang Mai. It would be nice to get the non-O in advance but it's not the end of my world if I cannot.

This is exactly what happened to me one year ago in Hong Kong. Ended up with non-OA whilst wife and daughter got 90-day non-O. Has caused me lots of problems. Will not do border run to extend visa for one more year and will let it expire. Will go down to Penang to get my 90-day non-O and then hopefully will get all the family on the extension of stay etc. later.

You should have better luck in Penang, but if you return to Thailand by air you can convert your entry into a non-immigrant visa.

Not according to the people at the Thai Consulate in Hong Kong! biggrin.png

I know that ultimately that conversion can be done in country. If I can obtain a non-O now while I am out of Thailand, the dates would line up perfectly for my already-scheduled appointment in August to do the extension with immigrations in Chiang Mai. It would be nice to get the non-O in advance but it's not the end of my world if I cannot.

Hong Kong are doing things the wrong way. They are saying no non-o visas for everybody 50 or over instead of just doing it to those that are HK citizens or residents.

Penang will do the non-o for you.

This is exactly what happened to me one year ago in Hong Kong. Ended up with non-OA whilst wife and daughter got 90-day non-O. Has caused me lots of problems. Will not do border run to extend visa for one more year and will let it expire. Will go down to Penang to get my 90-day non-O and then hopefully will get all the family on the extension of stay etc. later.

That is the only way to do it other than getting a new passport.

Be sure your family still has an entry from their non-o visas. They might have to do one more entry just before their visas expire to be sure they have one when you apply for your extension so they can get their dependent extensions.

Why go to Penang for a new Non-O instead of just applying for an extension of your current permission to stay?

Sophon

Hong Kong are doing things the wrong way. They are saying no non-o visas for everybody 50 or over instead of just doing it to those that are HK citizens or residents.

Correct. From what I was told, they would not issue a single-entry non-O even if I was over 50, unmarried, and a HK citizen or PR holder. They insist that one applies for an actual non-OA. Unless the guy with whom I spoke was just being disingenuous, I got the impression that they have absolutely no idea at the Thai Consulate in Hong Kong as to how the retirement extension process actually works.

Why go to Penang for a new Non-O instead of just applying for an extension of your current permission to stay?

Sophon

Possibly because his current permit to stay is way beyond the date his visa expires. He wants to get an extension of stay as soon as possible because his family have been making border runs every 90 days and their visas are also expiring.