Non-O Visa + WP (Volunteering) 1 Year Extension Success!

As I had earlier posted of my TV experience during the 'crackdown' and the means I took to accomplished it, I had been pondering on the ways as to how can I continue to live in Thailand while not working, doing any business or being a 'serial tourist'.

I had considered applying to a school and get an ED visa to circumvent my issues, but with no intentions of studying I forgo that.

I had also seriously considering to apply for the 5 year Thai Elite visa for the cost of 8333.33 per month. I considered it due to the fact, that these visa issues was a cloud over my head that had given me unduly stress and worries each time the visa was nearing it's end. Thus I am all set to go for it then...

I was introduced to volunteerism by an aquaintance of mine. She has been volunteering in a French aided organisation in the South for the past 4 years.

After gleaming informations from her and the passion that drives her, I was thoroughly impressed. Though I am not inclined to work with children I had, nevertheless, looked into volunteering as a possibility.

I have no business, no work (don't intend to), don't party nor do drugs. I am here to research the possibility of permanently calling Thailand home. Age is the only setback for me to be able to apply for the retirement visa (4 years short).

I went to quite a few volunteering organisations to see where I would fit in. During one of these visits I met an organic farmer from Korat who has been running his farm with the aide of volunteers. His farm is a Social Enterprise thus, volunteerism is a cost saving move.

No sooner, I found out that people pay to volunteer. There were student's from Germany, Netherlands and UK who paid anything between 1500 to 2500 Euros to a volunteer stint of 6 months to a year. The amount paid were to cover the cost of lodgings, food, visa and etc.

Though inclined I am somewhat searching for a part-time one and where I can choose the time and day of volunteering. Through recommendations I found it. It is also an organic farm in Patum Thani.

I have to somehow raised the issue of my visa status to them. All said, I was arranged to meet a person who will do all the necessary paperworks which I had deemed to be a tedious process. Surprisingly, it was a breeze! I met the guy who gave me forms to tender my signatures and he briefly explained to me how the process will go.

After the signatures were tendered he asked me for 6 photographs, my original passport (and 2 copies), and a copy of a local bank account (not compulsory) and 40,000 baht in cash as my volunteering cost. As I do not intend to volunteer full time nor do I need the lodgings, food and etc. I have to asked why?

He quickly explained to me that for me to get a work permit, Non-O visa with (1 year extension), wheels needs to be greased and a signature of endorsement from an official high up is of utmost importance.

I gave the money to him. He was back within an hour with my passport and told me to wait for a few days for the paperworks and then I had to go to Vientiane to convert my single entry TV.

I was given a call by him 2 days later wanting to know where should he send the documents. We met at a cafe near my place and handed to me a load of official and supporting documents.

I left for Vientiane the very next night and arrived at the embassy in the morning and met by another person. Submitted my documents and passport to him at the embassy.

Came back the next day at 1.30 pm and received my passport with all the proper stamps and stickers. Crossed the border in Nongkhai and now I'm back in Bangkok with an official WP, Non-O visa with 1 year extension and issued a volunteer pass.

It was a total breeze and in comparison it saves me costs and the stress.

Yes, I am volunteering as an account executive for the organisation once a week working remotely from home, keying in data in a spreadsheet for no more than 2 hrs.

All my visa worries are over! And the good part is I get to contribute something by volunteering my expertise.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-T211 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So you supported corruption in the process, so it would seem.

Guilty!

But corruption is at every nook and cranny and at every level of the society here. There were just too many non transparent laws and bi-laws.

I struggled with corruption during my initial time here but it is everywhere I look.

There is no direct proof of that in the OP's post. He may of paid some money for fees to cover the work permit application and etc.

Since he is actually doing some work for the organization it would be considered legit.

• Like 1

There is no direct proof of that in the OP's post. He may of paid some money for fees to cover the work permit application and etc.

Since he is actually doing some work for the organization it would be considered legit.

Thank you, Joe! In fact, I saw it as payments for the paperworks process though it was not transparent.

Thank you, Joe! In fact, I saw it as payments for the paperworks process though it was not transparent.

To me it is not much different than the fees people pay lawyers, agents and etc. to get things done.

I don't support or condone corruption. I personally have never had to do it here (maybe to the traffic police once or twice) But in a couple of other countries on the other side of the world I have had to do it.

• Like 1

Many organisations allow you to volunteer for a large fee. I am not very fond of those organisations and most will not help with a work eprmit and deny you need one.

After the signatures were tendered he asked me for 6 photographs, my original passport (and 2 copies), and a copy of a local bank account (not compulsory) and 40,000 baht in cash as my volunteering cost. As I do not intend to volunteer full time nor do I need the lodgings, food and etc. I have to asked why?

He quickly explained to me that for me to get a work permit, Non-O visa with (1 year extension), wheels needs to be greased and a signature of endorsement from an official high up is of utmost importance.

This suggest a bribe was paid.

In order to get an extension of stay for 1 year the organisation needs to get a letter from a high ranking government official that deals with the organisation to support the application. Without such letter you only get an extension for 90 days at a time.

Next time the OP or someone else might consider a Post #1 more like this :

I was able to secure a Non-IMM 'O', a Work Permit, and a one-year extension of stay based upon my volunteering for a (bona fide) NGO.

All the rest was extraneous.

I disagree

"He quickly explained to me that for me to get a work permit, Non-O visa with (1 year extension), wheels needs to be greased and a signature of endorsement from an official high up is of utmost importance."

And OP's direct reply ....

CharlieH, on 09 Jun 2014 - 12:41, said:

snapback.png

Guilty!

So there is no direct proof other than the Op's admission ?

Edited by CharlieH

Next time the OP or someone else might consider a Post #1 more like this :

I was able to secure a Non-IMM 'O', a Work Permit, and a one-year extension of stay based upon my volunteering for a (bona fide) NGO.

All the rest was extraneous.

I am sorry but should anybody submit their written analogues and have it run by you for editing and approval before posting?

Would that make you happy?

I would be glad to if you are officially appointed.

No -- but some in Pathum Thani who might read your post might not exactly be thrilled as to the detail you felt necessary to provide on their operations.

Your point noted. However, please let me explain:

In the course of my application, I was made aware of the fact (unbeknownst to me at that time) that people pay to volunteer.

I do not support corruption per se, but as far as I can, I avoided it.

Thus when I was being pointed out as supporting corruption, I answered 'guilty' more to appeased rather then go into relentless diatribe over differing opinions and perspectives.

Hypothetically, they could have made me pay them the 40,000 baht for wanting to volunteer with their organisation. It could be called 'Volunteer Fees'. But they did not and instead arrange for me to meet with the person delegated to handle the paperworks.

To cut it short, I posted what had transpired in all essence of the truth. It's how it was done, in my case. I do not propagate corruption nor would I ever stop from speaking or relating the truth as I experienced it.