Another Overstay/expired Passport Question

Hi all

I have a friend who is in a bit of a bother with his passport.

Having a 3 month overstay and expired passport, he finaly found himself in a posistion to renew passport at embassy last week.....

He went to the British embassy last Thursday to apply for a renewed passport. Having been told it will take 3 weeks owing to new passport system.

As soon as he recieves his passport back, he will go on a visa run and pay the fine.

My question is this; when he recieves his passport back, what would stop the embassy from informing the Thai police (maybe even the Thai police at the entrance to the embassy) that the ferang leaving the building is on overstay?

Or even the Thais who work at the embassy.... Could you see it as a possibility that they would 'snitch'?

Again, as soon as he picks the passport up, he will fly out and come back.

Has anyone got any experience with this? Know of anyone who was in the same posistion?

For the record, this genuinley is a friend and not me!

Hi all

I have a friend who is in a bit of a bother with his passport.

Having a 3 month overstay and expired passport, he finaly found himself in a posistion to renew passport at embassy last week.....

He went to the British embassy last Thursday to apply for a renewed passport. Having been told it will take 3 weeks owing to new passport system.

As soon as he recieves his passport back, he will go on a visa run and pay the fine.

My question is this; when he recieves his passport back, what would stop the embassy from informing the Thai police (maybe even the Thai police at the entrance to the embassy) that the ferang leaving the building is on overstay?

Or even the Thais who work at the embassy.... Could you see it as a possibility that they would 'snitch'?

Again, as soon as he picks the passport up, he will fly out and come back.

Has anyone got any experience with this? Know of anyone who was in the same posistion?

For the record, this genuinley is a friend and not me!

They won't report him. But your friend is going to be even more nervous when he finds out he needs to go to Immigration before going to the airport. He can't just leave the country as he has a brand new passport. The entry stamp has to be transferred to the new passport.

He will need to take 20,000 baht for the overstay. He will need to show a plane ticket leaving Thailand that night. Photocopy of the passport page, his entry stamp and two photos.

We will as a service, have a lawyer go with your friend. He will be being told to go to one room to the next. It helps to have someone speaking for you that knows the system. Several clients thank us profusely as we kept them out of jail, one was overstay 10 years! Our professional fee is 3,000 Baht plus 7% Vat.

Perhaps it is me being a bit old and senile (I am 62) but I simply cannot understand how anyone can overstay their visa period by 3 months and also have the passport expire at the same time.

As far as I can remember you need to have at least 6 months left on your passport before you are allowed into the country and it is stamped fairly clearly how long you are permitted to stay.

Perhaps I lost the plot somewhere down the line but I can remember my passport expiry date and how long I have left before I have to do something to stay legal or pay a fine.

Given the choice legal is easy. :o:D

:o O.k this is going to go across like a lead weight but so be it..I think a stay at the IDC would be a answer to this person with no regard for Thai law.

Why you ask would I think this. Well I follow the rules I don`t over stay I keep my passport up to date. That is why there are regulations in place.

So just break the rules and think its o.k and to then need a lawyer as they know the are breaking the law is sad. You want to shoot the messenger fine I am a easy target.

I don't want to cut across anything that others have said here - the advice is sound, particularly because of the overstay.

But, about 7 years ago, I went with my invalidated Brit passport and my virgin new one to Sungai Kolok. The Embassy had already told me that there was no visa, either for Thailand or any other country valid on the old one - I was just doing a 30 day run.

When I arrived at SK, on the right day, I handed my old passport in. The officer pointed out that the passport wasn't valid and I showed my new one. After a moment, he stamped me out on the old one.

No problem at all not having an entry stamp in the new passport, until Malaysia, where it was and I had to walk back over the bridge and persuade the Thais to stamp me out again on the new passport so I could be allowed into Malaysia.

OK, no overstay and no Visa. But then again the OP's friend hasn't got one now either. Maybe he was on a 30 day run as well - just rather late.

My point is that I did leave Thailand with a brand new passport and the entry stamp in the old one.

:o O.k this is going to go across like a lead weight but so be it..I think a stay at the IDC would be a answer to this person with no regard for Thai law.

Why you ask would I think this. Well I follow the rules I don`t over stay I keep my passport up to date. That is why there are regulations in place.

So just break the rules and think its o.k and to then need a lawyer as they know the are breaking the law is sad. You want to shoot the messenger fine I am a easy target.

If he pays the overstay surely that is punishment enough - it's not like there are any victims in this crime!

Minburi

Quote "You want to shoot the messanger fine, I am an easy target"

Perhaps you should not make yourself an easy target by posting predictable, boring and unproductive comments. My only suprise on reading your rant as that it was not concluded with the stereotypical 'som nam naa'.

As for wishing a stay in the IDU for my friend.... Wow. I bet you are a great guy to have a beer with.

I'm glad to here you follow the rules. To this end, I can safely assume you have never purchased a beer in Thailands bars after 1am or took a girl home for the night. Dont forget your helmet when riding your scooter either, my friend.

How dare you presume that my friend 'thinks it ok' to break the rules. You think he is strolling around with a chesire cat grin with two fingers up to the system? No, he is not. He is in a posistion to fix his problem by making a new passport and leaving the country for a new visa. IMO, the 20, 000 fine will redeem himself.

You have me rantng now.

Tosser.

Minburi

Quote "You want to shoot the messanger fine, I am an easy target"

Perhaps you should not make yourself an easy target by posting predictable, boring and unproductive comments. My only suprise on reading your rant as that it was not concluded with the stereotypical 'som nam naa'.

As for wishing a stay in the IDU for my friend.... Wow. I bet you are a great guy to have a beer with.

I'm glad to here you follow the rules. To this end, I can safely assume you have never purchased a beer in Thailands bars after 1am or took a girl home for the night. Dont forget your helmet when riding your scooter either, my friend.

How dare you presume that my friend 'thinks it ok' to break the rules. You think he is strolling around with a chesire cat grin with two fingers up to the system? No, he is not. He is in a posistion to fix his problem by making a new passport and leaving the country for a new visa. IMO, the 20, 000 fine will redeem himself.

You have me rantng now.

Tosser.

Thats fine your a good friend for defending your pal. But lets get to the brass tacks. Is he breaking the law? yes..Does he now the laws? I would bet yes. If he does know the laws he should be punished for breaking them. As for him fixing his problem. He did it to him self.

Get real you think the 20,000 baht redeems the fact he has over stayed and his passport has expired. Adds up to alot of not thinking/stupid to me. As usual the laws apply to every one but the person who is breaking them.

I have a Thai wife no need to go to the bars. I do not have a motorcyle and I do not drink so there go your ideas on my life.

If I am a tosser so be it. Defend the moron if you like. IDC still seems like a healthy deterent to me.

Minburi, the rules of this forum have prevented me from using stronger language than a humble 'tosser'.

Wishing a spell in the IDU on anyone, to me, invites a shitty response. What kind of ex-pat are you? Let me guess; one of those guys that mutters 'bloody ferang' at the sight of anyone who resembles a 2 week tourist, right?

You seem to have deep feelings regarding ferang overstays. Fair point, I also believe it is silly to overstay, though I have done myself a few times. However, I dont believe this warrents a condesending, petulant point of view such as 'a spell in the IDU would be good for the guy'. The guy has been a naughty boy - but nothing more.

Minburi, the rules of this forum have prevented me from using stronger language than a humble 'tosser'.

Wishing a spell in the IDU on anyone, to me, invites a shitty response. What kind of ex-pat are you? Let me guess; one of those guys that mutters 'bloody ferang' at the sight of anyone who resembles a 2 week tourist, right?

You seem to have deep feelings regarding ferang overstays. Fair point, I also believe it is silly to overstay, though I have done myself a few times. However, I dont believe this warrents a condesending, petulant point of view such as 'a spell in the IDU would be good for the guy'. The guy has been a naughty boy - but nothing more.

Not taking sides BattyBatty as I would hate to hear of anyone being locked up for an overstay.

But how the h*ll can you say overstaying is silly and then proudly boast you have done it a few times!

You sure you are not your friend.... :o:D