Tropical ulcers.

Hey guy's,

Now the wet season is upon us i guess i don't have to say to the old timers,but for any new guys take real good care,of mossie bites,cut's and scratches,i scratched a mossie bite about a week ago now i have a ten baht coin sized tropical ulcer on my leg,near the ankle,these can go deep into the leg,and destroy muscle,tendons even bones,i will check if i can upload a pic of mine with the mod's,if any are watching could you advise it is not pretty.It is my own fault after scratching the scab off the bite it bled,i think the small black hovering flys got onto it ,now i have a very painfull,tropical ulcer,it is important to clean this everyday at least twice,i am now starting a course of antibiotics, reluctantly,but i want to stop it before it gets worse,by the way worse case with this is amputation.

Mate, easy fix. 1. Stay off the grog until healing begins, 2. Get some Iodine and 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) from the chemist ... Make sure it's 3%!!!! and get a little spray bottle why your there for the H2O2 along with gauze, latex gloves and some tape to hold the gauze down, 3. Clean your hands, spray the wound with the H2O2 wait one minute until foaming now remove whatever scab, pus, dead skin is there with a cotton bud or gauze. Again Apply the H2O2 to the wound wait one minute, 4. Cover it with iodine carefully as it will stain your hands or garments, use some latex gloves if you have some. Get the iodine into the wound ... It's gonna sting!!! Cover with a piece of gauze properly then tape the gauze to your leg.

Repeat this twice a day for the first day then for the rest if the week do not use H2O2, only use the iodine twice a day and re bandage each time. After two weeks you'll be good.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by bofhman

Mate, easy fix. 1. Stay off the grog until healing begins, 2. Get some Iodine and 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) from the chemist ... Make sure it's 3%!!!! and get a little spray bottle why your there for the H2O2 along with gauze, latex gloves and some tape to hold the gauze down, 3. Clean your hands, spray the wound with the H2O2 wait one minute until foaming now remove whatever scab, pus, dead skin is there with a cotton bud or gauze. Again Apply the H2O2 to the wound wait one minute, 4. Cover it with iodine carefully as it will stain your hands or garments, use some latex gloves if you have some. Get the iodine into the wound ... It's gonna sting!!! Cover with a piece of gauze properly then tape the gauze to your leg.

Repeat this twice a day for the first day then for the rest if the week do not use H2O2, only use the iodine twice a day and re bandage each time. After two weeks you'll be good.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Mate ,thanks for the advice,i will try to get the ingredients.

Hey Marko. Sorry to hear. Tip: use iodine and HP sparingly. I mean, use them, clean, etc., but there after I would recommend soap and water and extended periods of exposure to dry. Wet and dark is bad! Iodine and HP are themselves also toxic/caustic to the cells forming the repair matrix- laying down the foundation for healing. Ensure you are talking the "correct" AB, take the right dose, and don't quit before the regimen cycle ends.

I've treated many nasty ulcer from flesh eating bacteria to leishmaniasis, and think I've gotten quite good at it. An area close to bone and tendons can be quite important to monitor. If you've and questions Bout the AB please ask doc, Sheryl, or PM me. Not all AB target the same common bugs. PS. Elevate your foot when resting.

How about a visit to the doctor?

I had a mate that came on holiday and but was too tight-fisted to see a doctor here, and didn't go to see the doc till he got back to the UK after 2 weeks... They admitted him immediately and he was lucky he didn't lose his leg!

Hey Marko. Sorry to hear. Tip: use iodine and HP sparingly. I mean, use them, clean, etc., but there after I would recommend soap and water and extended periods of exposure to dry. Wet and dark is bad! Iodine and HP are themselves also toxic/caustic to the cells forming the repair matrix- laying down the foundation for healing. Ensure you are talking the "correct" AB, take the right dose, and don't quit before the regimen cycle ends.

I've treated many nasty ulcer from flesh eating bacteria to leishmaniasis, and think I've gotten quite good at it. An area close to bone and tendons can be quite important to monitor. If you've and questions Bout the AB please ask doc, Sheryl, or PM me. Not all AB target the same common bugs. PS. Elevate your foot when resting.

Thanks buddy,i have vigourously cleaned the wound today,then applied alcohol[rubbing alcohol- but i did take some int he form of beer also],to the wound,then i added iodine ,and then antiseptic power to dry it,it is a little painful at present but with this regime i think i will get on top of it,i do have antibiotics but i am loathe to take them as they always lay havoc with my gut,thanks for the reply .

Thanks buddy,i have vigourously cleaned the wound today,then applied alcohol[rubbing alcohol- but i did take some int he form of beer also],to the wound,then i added iodine ,and then antiseptic power to dry it,it is a little painful at present but with this regime i think i will get on top of it,i do have antibiotics but i am loathe to take them as they always lay havoc with my gut,thanks for the reply .

Take a vinegar shower too and wipe off all the neg bacteria. It will be painful, especially around the wound, which will be agony, but its highly cathartic. If you can't find vinegar, use lime juice.

Take a vinegar shower too and wipe off all the neg bacteria. It will be painful, especially around the wound, which will be agony, but its highly cathartic. If you can't find vinegar, use lime juice.

Thank's for your input,even though we are having a tussle on another thread i thank you.

I agree with this, you should only use the pydrogen peroxide for a thorough initial cleaning. Once you have it very well cleaned (and hopefully the surface bacteria "on the run"), don't keep using peroxide on it. Peroxide not only kills the infection, but also essentially burns exposed healthy tissue as well. I usually use a topical disinfectant ointment, like Neosporin or Fucidin for covering the wound until healed. Of course, I'm not a doctor, so what do I know - just giving you some ideas to consider.

If you have a deep infection that's going down beyond the skin, you really really need to get yourself to a doctor and get some serious antibiotic treatment - don't screw around with that stuff.

Please be careful with vinegar baths and even the "cure-all" Peroxide. It is a very strong anti-oxidant and can cause more tissue necrosis. Betadine is fine to apply.

Best have this checked out at a hospital and let them prescribe a proper course of treatment.

I wouldnt play with all these different methods, just go to Meungphet Hospital and get it treated by a Doctor, recommend Monday or Tuesday morning when the boss is on duty.

Best of luck with it.

Mate how's it looking? Hopefully you are getting on top if the infection and it's healing.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

A lot better thank's mate.i eventually went to the Doctor last teusday he gave some strong anti biotics,and some anti biotic cream,i have just today finished the antibiotics,it has healed up now and has a dry scab on top,and the angry redness around it has gone,and the ankle is no longer swollen,however i still keep it bandaged outside as those tiny black hovering flies love to get in any wounds like this,will leave a nice scar though,just goes to show how careful you have to be in the tropics,especially this time of year.

Mate, regarding your scaring, the build up of tissue are “Keloids” which can cause abnormally thick scars to occur, sometimes as much as an inch thick which can form after injury. Many people carry a thick round scar from their smallpox vaccination. My mum has one. Anyone can get a keloid scar. What worked for me and Mum was rubbing SSKI into the keloid at least twice daily. It will ultimately flatten down to a normal scar eventually but can take many months to a year for particularly bad ones. The treatment goes faster if SSKI is mixed 50-50 with DMSO.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand