Gen. Chadchai discusses action plan for Thai water and flood management projects

webfact

Gen. Chadchai discusses action plan for water and flood management projects

BANGKOK, 10 June 2014, (NNT) - General Chadchai Sarikalaya , the Army Deputy Chief and the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO)’s Economic Division Deputy Leader, yesterday met with water and flood-management-related agencies regarding their budget and action plans.

Attending the meeting were representatives from the Departments of Meteorological, Irrigation, Public Works and Town & Country Planning, Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, and Hydro and Agro Informatics Institute, as well as the Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency.

According to Gen. Chadchai, the meeting discussed what could and should be done in the current fiscal year, adding that officials were instructed to carry on with the projects now underway, while projects that had yet to be undertaken would be put on hold until the administrative body decided whether to proceed with them.

The General also said the discussed projects were not related to the 350 billion baht water and flood management project initiated by the previous government. A committee would be set up to oversee all projects related to water management. He also urged the officials to be ready for the rainy season.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-10 footer_n.gif

He also urged the officials to be ready for the rainy season.

Now you can see why he was put in charge of Thai Water and flood management project's action plan.

Must be a difficult job with the previous administration having been so 'indecisive'. Maybe Yingluck c.s. were more interested in the extra 350 billion Baht plans rather than the normal, ongoing activities ?

• Like 1

Now you can see why he was put in charge of Thai Water and flood management project's action plan.

Yes, this chap with the numerous, long titles (General, Deputy Chief and Deputy Leader, guess Deputy Dawg was taken?), seems to be truly a man of leadership, action and vision. cheesy.gif

Surprised he didn't have custom wellies, boats and umbrellas fashioned for everyone?

A lot of high ranking soldiers from the Junta reviewing large infrastructure plans and development projects I would presume these people have absolutely no idea what they are looking at and are completely unqualified to manage such high profile many billions of Baht projects, and are more used to shouting at soldiers to march and turn left and turn right.

Do you believe that a person with NO political experience is capable of being a Prime Minister and running a country like Thailand?

I certainly don't.

Not sure how to break this to you, but General Prayuth Chan-ocha is the current Prime Minister; pretty sure he doesn't have any political experience, although maybe he was president of his high school drama club - given he's such a drama queen?

The odds that high ranking soldiers are even remotely qualified to review and understand water resource management are like a million to one.

• Like 1

I still can't get my head around all these figures spouted about. 350 billion baht is 10 billion US$.

Then we have the 2.2 trillion for a bit of high speed rail track. 68 billion dollars US.

The PTP government must have thought they were cruising to being the richest <deleted>ers in the world.

It's completely bizarre how they thought they could really get away with it.

Guess it's a result of narcissism oozing from Dubai. bah.gif

• Like 2

Could you please explain to me how the General became Prime Minister especially in the title? AFAIR there hasn't been an election and I am fairly sure that he hasn't been proclaimed by himself or anybody else that he is the PM.

Well, being "fairly sure" just doesn't cut now, does it? cheesy.gif

Uhm, well he declared himself PM with order #10 on 23 May 2014.

Thailand coup: Army chief declares himself acting PM
PUBLISHED ON MAY 23, 2014 11:35 AM
BANGKOK - Thai army chief and coup leader Prayuth Chan-ocha has declared himself the acting prime minister until the new coup regime announced on Thursday can find someone to serve in the post full time, it was reported.
According to the Bangkok Post, the National Peace and Order Maintaining Council (NPOMC) made the announcement on Thursday night, saying General Prayuth will act as prime minister for administrative purposes.

He has no political experience, and you said that you, for one, could not believe that someone without political experience could be PM.

I realize that you are confused, but seriously, get up to speed, or go back to sleep.

Must be a difficult job with the previous administration having been so 'indecisive'. Maybe Yingluck c.s. were more interested in the extra 350 billion Baht plans rather than the normal, ongoing activities ?

Maybe they weren't. Who knows? You certainly don't, though you like to think you do.

Maybe they weren't. Who knows? You certainly don't, though you like to think you do.

English is a difficult language, but I think the 'Maybe" at the start of my sentence gave a clear indication that I do not know. Also that 'Maybe' indicates sufficient doubt as to make clear I don't even (like to) think I do.

Of course, if you, as possibly native English speaker, can explain to me why you interpreted my sentence as meaning "I like to think I do know" I would be very grateful. My knowledge of the English language could be improved once more.

• Like 2

English is a difficult language, but I think the 'Maybe" at the start of my sentence gave a clear indication that I do not know. Also that 'Maybe' indicates sufficient doubt as to make clear I don't even (like to) think I do.

Of course, if you, as possibly native English speaker, can explain to me why you interpreted my sentence as meaning "I like to think I do know" I would be very grateful. My knowledge of the English language could be improved once more.

That is beyond doubt.

That is beyond doubt.

In the mean time I'm waiting in near breathless anticipation for the explanation which no doubt will both be noteworthy and near priceless, lifting me out of a drab lifestyle of mangling English.

• Like 1

Here's a dream: How about doing an experiment in government by making the entire process of this plan open and transparent? All plans, bids, payments, progress etc on a public web site so that the people can see what happens? If they did such a thing, I might even give them the benefit of the doubt and believe they do want to fight corruption. Wake me in time for dinner.

In the mean time I'm waiting in near breathless anticipation for the explanation which no doubt will both be noteworthy and near priceless, lifting me out of a drab lifestyle of mangling English.

OK I'll humour you. If you didn't mean to imply that "Yingluck c.s. were more interested in the extra 350 billion Baht plans rather than the normal, ongoing activities" there would have been no need to say anything about it.

It's your normal style of writing - implying something, but supposedly "disguising" what you really meant by pretending it never crossed your mind, a kind of sarcasm if you like.

Here's your post

You qualify the first part of the post that states the previous administration was indecisive by suggesting it was because they were more interested in the extra 350 billion. You have nothing to base that suggestion on but you still make the comment as if you do know.

As for your drab lifestyle , nothing much I can do about that I'm afraid.

A lot of high ranking soldiers from the Junta reviewing large infrastructure plans and development projects I would presume these people have absolutely no idea what they are looking at and are completely unqualified to manage such high profile many billions of Baht projects, and are more used to shouting at soldiers to march and turn left and turn right.

In the back ground those without titles are the ones doing the thinking the ones with the titles are doing all the talking., the difference between Yingluck and now, somebody is listening to proper advise and the advisors are not saying what someone else wants to hear.

The PTP 350 Billion Baht Flood Management projects procedure

The Government has reaffirmed that the bidding for its 350-billion-baht water management scheme is transparent. Starting in July 2013, it will organize road shows at various river basins to communicate with local people and provide better understanding about the project.

He pointed out that the widespread damage and losses prompted the Government to implement the long-term water management project to help the people and prevent the recurrence of huge losses. A master plan on water management was worked out, based on His Majesty the King’s initiatives, and then the Water and Flood Management Committee was set up to translate the master plan into action.

After that, Mr. Niwattumrong said that the Government invited both Thai and foreign companies to propose their plans on water management in Thailand. A total of 398 companies were interested in the mega-water management project. Finally, eight bidders, comprising 34 companies, were selected.

Professor Tongthong was appointed to handle the bidding process. The Government also broadcast live its presentation of the results of bidding on the National Broadcasting Services of Thailand, or Television Channel 11, on 10 June 2013, when four companies passed the technical criteria in nine modules. The Government had entrusted a 50-member subcommittee to look into the technical aspects to ensure that they were in line with the terms of reference. Members of the subcommittee came from many government agencies, such as the Office of the Attorney General, the Office of the Council of State, and the Royal Irrigation Department.

According to Professor Tongthong, price negotiations took place on 11-13 June, when the winning bidders were invited to discuss deals on prices. Then he submitted a report on the outcome to the Water and Flood Management Commission, which would then forward the report to the Cabinet for decision on 18 June. It will take about two or three months before construction contracts are signed. An environmental impact assessment will be conducted, as well.

He said that the National Counter Corruption Commission had given useful advice on the most careful approaches to the 350-billion-baht water management scheme.

http://thailand.prd.go.th/view_news.php?id=6813&a=2

Looks as though the process was transparent and carried out with due regard to technical advice so I'm not quite sure what you're referring to.

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

Could you please explain to me how the General became Prime Minister especially in the title? AFAIR there hasn't been an election and I am fairly sure that he hasn't been proclaimed by himself or anybody else that he is the PM.

Well, being "fairly sure" just doesn't cut now, does it? cheesy.gif

Uhm, well he declared himself PM with order #10 on 23 May 2014.

Thailand coup: Army chief declares himself acting PM
PUBLISHED ON MAY 23, 2014 11:35 AM
BANGKOK - Thai army chief and coup leader Prayuth Chan-ocha has declared himself the acting prime minister until the new coup regime announced on Thursday can find someone to serve in the post full time, it was reported.
According to the Bangkok Post, the National Peace and Order Maintaining Council (NPOMC) made the announcement on Thursday night, saying General Prayuth will act as prime minister for administrative purposes.

He has no political experience, and you said that you, for one, could not believe that someone without political experience could be PM.

I realize that you are confused, but seriously, get up to speed, or go back to sleep.

No thats not correct

He has the powers of a prime minister but that newspaper took liberties with the truth.

He did not declare himself Prime Minister.

He declared he had the same powers as a prime minister

Actually he probably has more power or much more power than a prime minister.

• Like 2

OK I'll humour you. If you didn't mean to imply that "Yingluck c.s. were more interested in the extra 350 billion Baht plans rather than the normal, ongoing activities" there would have been no need to say anything about it.

It's your normal style of writing - implying something, but supposedly "disguising" what you really meant by pretending it never crossed your mind, a kind of sarcasm if you like.

Here's your post

You qualify the first part of the post that states the previous administration was indecisive by suggesting it was because they were more interested in the extra 350 billion. You have nothing to base that suggestion on but you still make the comment as if you do know.

Having gone full circle now, may I wonder what you meant with your

"Now you can see why he was put in charge of Thai Water and flood management project's action plan."

I'm sure you had no intention to imply something as if it would never cross your mind, now had you?

BTW you should be more attentive. If you had been, you'd noticed that the Yingluck government surely hadn't been indecisive regarding the 350 billion baht special budget. They even had a special decree January 2012 to allow them to borrow 350 billion Baht very urgently. If only those pesky courts hadn't blocked signing of contract and agreed with various pressure groups (i.e. Thai people whose life might be effected by the plans) and insisted on proper involvement of locals and real Environmental Impact studies. If the government had been able to, those 350 billion would have been dividedallocated to projects contracted before you could say the words "farmers need to be paid".

PS somewhat disappointed your explanation doesn't really offer me a chance to learn something about the English language. Mind you I think I can correct an error all by myself. The "in anticipation for" should probably be "in anticipation of" thumbsup.gif

Well, if only you had paid attention you would have realised I was giving you a lesson in semantics.

In the back ground those without titles are the ones doing the thinking the ones with the titles are doing all the talking., the difference between Yingluck and now, somebody is listening to proper advise and the advisors are not saying what someone else wants to hear.

The PTP 350 Billion Baht Flood Management projects procedure

The Government has reaffirmed that the bidding for its 350-billion-baht water management scheme is transparent. Starting in July 2013, it will organize road shows at various river basins to communicate with local people and provide better understanding about the project.

He pointed out that the widespread damage and losses prompted the Government to implement the long-term water management project to help the people and prevent the recurrence of huge losses. A master plan on water management was worked out, based on His Majesty the King’s initiatives, and then the Water and Flood Management Committee was set up to translate the master plan into action.

After that, Mr. Niwattumrong said that the Government invited both Thai and foreign companies to propose their plans on water management in Thailand. A total of 398 companies were interested in the mega-water management project. Finally, eight bidders, comprising 34 companies, were selected.

Professor Tongthong was appointed to handle the bidding process. The Government also broadcast live its presentation of the results of bidding on the National Broadcasting Services of Thailand, or Television Channel 11, on 10 June 2013, when four companies passed the technical criteria in nine modules. The Government had entrusted a 50-member subcommittee to look into the technical aspects to ensure that they were in line with the terms of reference. Members of the subcommittee came from many government agencies, such as the Office of the Attorney General, the Office of the Council of State, and the Royal Irrigation Department.

According to Professor Tongthong, price negotiations took place on 11-13 June, when the winning bidders were invited to discuss deals on prices. Then he submitted a report on the outcome to the Water and Flood Management Commission, which would then forward the report to the Cabinet for decision on 18 June. It will take about two or three months before construction contracts are signed. An environmental impact assessment will be conducted, as well.

He said that the National Counter Corruption Commission had given useful advice on the most careful approaches to the 350-billion-baht water management scheme.

http://thailand.prd.go.th/view_news.php?id=6813&a=2

Looks as though the process was transparent and carried out with due regard to technical advice so I'm not quite sure what you're referring to.

Very good. Just tell me how exactly Thaksin fitted into this and why he visited K water?

Or was that purely an unconnected coincidence?

How come, with all those fingers in the pie and transparency they missed the EIA and public consultations requested by law?

Here's your post

"Now you can see why he was put in charge of Thai Water and flood management project's action plan."

I'm sure you had no intention to imply something as if it would never cross your mind, now had you?

BTW you should be more attentive. If you had been, you'd noticed that the Yingluck government surely hadn't been indecisive regarding the 350 billion baht special budget. They even had a special decree January 2012 to allow them to borrow 350 billion Baht very urgently. If only those pesky courts hadn't blocked signing of contract and agreed with various pressure groups (i.e. Thai people whose life might be effected by the plans) and insisted on proper involvement of locals and real Environmental Impact studies. If the government had been able to, those 350 billion would have been dividedallocated to projects contracted before you could say the words "farmers need to be paid".

PS somewhat disappointed your explanation doesn't really offer me a chance to learn something about the English language. Mind you I think I can correct an error all by myself. The "in anticipation for" should probably be "in anticipation of" thumbsup.gif

Well, if only you had paid attention you would have realised I was giving you a lesson in semantics.

Easier playing semantics than answering his questions and comments regarding the 350 billion?

Here's your post

now thats an ass kicking again..must be into s and m

There seems to be a lot of ignorance about the skills and experience in the Junta. If there is one thing that military are good at, apart from the soldiering - its all the engineering and infrastructure jobs. They are not ignorant in this area, and many of the senior and not so senior ranks have worked for long periods in developing countries where the infrastructure was destroyed. This includes, clean water supply, roads, and electricity. I am speaking from experience of working in the same places with them.

You beat me to it. Army engineering corps around the world are experts at this type of problem, I see no reason why Thailand would be any different.

• Like 1

There seems to be a lot of ignorance about the skills and experience in the Junta. If there is one thing that military are good at, apart from the soldiering - its all the engineering and infrastructure jobs.

I guess I'd like to hear more about specifics. Can you share any details re: the Thai Military's experience, good or bad, specifically with large engineering and infrastructure jobs?

Also, note that said Deputy economic chief Gen. Chatchai Sarikalaya is also responsible for financial institutions, industry, information and communication technology, agriculture and natural resources, so am anxious to hear what other things the Military are good at, besides soldiering and digging latrines?

Edited by lomatopo

There seems to be a lot of ignorance about the skills and experience in the Junta. If there is one thing that military are good at, apart from the soldiering - its all the engineering and infrastructure jobs.

I guess I'd like to hear more about specifics. Can you share any details re: the Thai Military's experience, good or bad, specifically with large engineering and infrastructure jobs?

Also, note that said Deputy economic chief Gen. Chatchai Sarikalaya is also responsible for financial institutions, industry, information and communication technology, agriculture and natural resources, so am anxious to hear what other things the Military are good at, besides soldiering and digging latrines?

Oh thats not a fair assessment.

Sure the army are good at what you say Iomatopo.

However the Good General has not just taken all these things himself.

He has carefully put very senior officers in charge of areas that they are confident in.

I remain sure that the Military have skills for much of the requirements of Government and probably much more so than the elected members and especially so for many of those put in Ministry positions within Government over many years past.

To comment on political experience then the said Good General would most likely have better experience than all past governments in this country in the last ten years.

I am sure that a guy who reaches the level of Supreme Commander of The Military would know a lot about politics and less about digging latrines.

I doubt your understanding of what a Supreme Commanding General does with his day, each day.

No offence meant but the above is my opinion.

• Like 1

Shouldn't be that difficult. Just juggle around the previous modules, re-set the time frame, call it differently and called them your own. No need to re-invent the wheel.