How Young is Old?

David48

how old is old?  

212 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My body started getting old when I hit 40. Turned out a lot of serious abuse from my past caught up and without modern medicine, I'm sure I would feel and look a lot older than my near 48 years.

Now I feel I can manage another 20 years or so before I expect to be old. Then hoping modern medicine will be able to keep anti-aging me a bit longer so I'm not truly old until at least 80.

My father is 78 and did not use the benefit of modern medicine, excersize and moderation to get to his age and he is old!

With his genetics, can I stave it off? Time will tell. I'm working on it!

• Like 1

Age is just a number. You are as old as you feel. If you enjoy life are healthy and look after yourself, who cares how old you are. I know 70 year olds that run marathons and I know 20 year olds that sit on their arse all day are obese and do absolutely nothing. Enjoy the age you are no matter what it is.

• Like 2

Age is a mind thing, NOT a wrinkles thing.......................smile.png

May I add, the mind thing might come from others because they know your age...............whistling.gif

That about sums up the state of reaching old age.

Late last year I hit the big 60 that has it`s pros and cons. In some respects it has a plus side but it also places many limitations on what others conceive as acceptable behaviour of an ageing guy.

I still look young, full head of hair, no beer gut, hardly any grey hair, trim, fit and still in the same frame of thinking as I was in my 30s. I was one of those types that when 25 years old still had to show ID to prove I was over 18 to gain entry into pubs, bars and clubs.

But what I found are the major affects in my life on reaching what is considered as old age is the attitudes of the younger generations towards me. Some examples: If I was seen ogling an attractive woman under 40 years old by my children they would consider me as being a pervert, because I’m the dad and dad’s don`t do those sorts of things. They believe that being sexually active is a function strictly reserved for young people and that the older guys main stimuli should be pruning rose bushes in the garden or feeding the ducks at a park. If out and about and seen eyeing up or chatting to young women than it`s assumed that I am a dirty old man, or in other words society considers that young women should be out of bounds for guys like me unless I was rich or a celebrity then the age gap seems to be excused. Last year I went to renew my Thai driving license accompanied by my 26 year old daughter. The staff at the licensing centre were giving me the most disapproving looks and the lady who was dealing with my license application eventually asked my daughter what is she doing there with me? Although I think my daughter and I bear a strong resemblance. My daughter told the lady that she is my daughter and then within an instant the whole attitudes changed and suddenly I was treated as being respectable again.

Other disadvantages that come with age: it is unlikely that anyone is going to employ me if I ever decided I wanted to work again and continue with a full time career unless it`s voluntary work, because in most of today’s industries they want an up market young image to front their companies. If I dress up modern then I am considered as an old age trendy, so many fashions are out of bounds to me and feel compelled to dress what the Thais describe as politely, something suitable and acceptable for someone of my age.

The up side to reaching old age for me is that I am now retired, have no stresses in my life and have become my own man, so I could say that this is the best time of my life, but if I was given the chance to be 20 or 30 years younger again, I would jump at the opportunity.

And the attitude of the staff was quite right too. Contrary to the belief of sex tourists, being with a woman half your age isn't the norm in Thailand and is frowned upon by most as it is in the west. Such behaviour is set aside for prostitutes seeking financial security.

Of course your daughter doesn't want her dad oogling women young enough to be his daughter. She wants a dad with grace and decorum, a dad who isn't one of those sexually oppressed perverts acting like an ape every time he sees a woman in a skirt. She wants a dad who with an intelligent mind, who, if he was to date someone, would date a woman within 10 years of his own age with similar interests and equal mind, not a 20 or 30 something with whom he has absolutely nothing in common with but strokes his aging ego and makes him feel "young" again.

What I can't fathom is why guys need to travel to countries such as Thailand, Philippines, Brazil, etc, to sleep with third world prostitutes, drink beer and moan about how backward the country is to make themselves feel young again. Try actually doing something positive with your life, like helping needy children, animals or victims of rape or domestic violence. Use this "wisdom" you're all talking about to try and shape a better world for those younger than you - instead of buying sex with young, poor, uneducated women who'll suck any old wrinkly pickle if it gets them one step closer to financial security because you think it boosts your vitality.

• Like 1

My lady in Thailand is 18 years younger than me.

My previous long term 10 years) relationship in Australia was with a lady nearly 20 years younger. My time with her in a closed minded western society was difficult at times, many people assumed she was my daughter and were often aghast when told the truth. Some of her peers made her life difficult.

I was in my 50's when that relationship unfortunately ended, and when I was ready to get back in the saddle (so to speak) I found that the willing and available field consisted of large numbers of predatory ladies who reminded me of a mother (much as another poster stated above!). I just wasn't interested in getting with any of them, so spent some years alone until I started visiting Thailand on a regular basis. I quickly worked out where my future lay.

I'm now in my mid sixties and happily living in LOS. I still have most of my natural hair (very little grey) and my brain thinks it's much younger than it's years, but my body is letting the team down making me less ambulatory than expected at a time when I should be enjoying my best years.

In summary, I don't think I'm old, but physically feel like I am much of the time.

• Like 1

I met a friend about five years ago when I went home for a holiday. It was 30 years since we had last met. He told me that I looked younger now than I did the last time he saw me. That night I told my wife of my meeting with him and what he said. She asked me where it was that I had seen him 30 years ago.....after giving it much thought it came back to me...........He had visited me in a hospital where I was drying out from booze.

Edited by dotpoom

My lady in Thailand is 18 years younger than me.

My previous long term 10 years) relationship in Australia was with a lady nearly 20 years younger. My time with her in a closed minded western society was difficult at times, many people assumed she was my daughter and were often aghast when told the truth. Some of her peers made her life difficult.

I was in my 50's when that relationship unfortunately ended, and when I was ready to get back in the saddle (so to speak) I found that the willing and available field consisted of large numbers of predatory ladies who reminded me of a mother (much as another poster stated above!). I just wasn't interested in getting with any of them, so spent some years alone until I started visiting Thailand on a regular basis. I quickly worked out where my future lay.

I'm now in my mid sixties and happily living in LOS. I still have most of my natural hair (very little grey) and my brain thinks it's much younger than it's years, but my body is letting the team down making me less ambulatory than expected at a time when I should be enjoying my best years.

In summary, I don't think I'm old, but physically feel like I am much of the time.

I broke my shoulder last year.

For the first time in my life I actually felt my age.

The Physiotherapist I use has shown me by maintaining suppleness in your body, you can slow down the ageing process.

I continue to see her twice a week to help maintain suppleness in my body, hopefully helping to avoid chronic pain later in life.

She also recommends Yoga whole heartedly.

Which I'm starting this week..

I have a mate in Australia who turned 70 this year.

He still works as an agent within his former profession to keep money coming in for his wife to spend. He manages his own stock portfolio on line each morning. He spends much of his time helping his married daughters maintain their homes. Apparently their husbands are so useless they need a 70 year old to do all their painting, tiling, brickwork, lawn mowing, etc. He still climbs around on roofs and under cars doing whatever needs to be done.

He has a good social life, is an active member of Hash Hound Harriers, owns a 4WD and a boat and goes on fishing, camping and prospecting trips regularly.

He has just sold his house (which he built himself a dozen years ago), told his spendthrift wife he is going to buy a place for himself in a beachside town so he can finally start retirement by going fishing every day, and she should look for somewhere for herself to live. He plans to travel a lot more and will be able to spend longer periods visiting here in Thailand.

So, at the age of 70, he is about to embark on a whole new life, free of the yokes of married life.

He doesn't feel like it's time for the old folk's home!

• Like 1

Now I do what I want to do, as opposed to what I "have" to do, as I did before retiring out here.

When I lived in the UK, I never did anything I "had" to do if I didn't want to. ie I was stopped by the police in a routine vehicle check, everything was found to be in order, but I did not have my driving licence on me and was told to show it at the police station within I think seven days.

I told the police that as they wanted to see it, then they should come to me, as I had not committed any crime I don't see why I should put myself out to go to the police station. After about two weeks they came to my house, I then showed them my licence, and they charged me. I heard nothing more about it.

I voted for 70 - 80.

I'll be 60 next year, swim for around half an hour most days though as my knees are kaput several other forms of exercise are out. I was on medication to control my blood pressure for 10 years though I no longer seem to require to take them daily - in fact, there were times when if anything my blood pressure was on the low side. I use a wrist monitor to check my blood pressure on a regular basis so I can see whether or not it is on the high side. and need to start taking the medication again.

Alan

• Like 1

I have a mate in Australia who turned 70 this year.

He still works as an agent within his former profession to keep money coming in for his wife to spend. He manages his own stock portfolio on line each morning. He spends much of his time helping his married daughters maintain their homes. Apparently their husbands are so useless they need a 70 year old to do all their painting, tiling, brickwork, lawn mowing, etc. He still climbs around on roofs and under cars doing whatever needs to be done.

He has a good social life, is an active member of Hash Hound Harriers, owns a 4WD and a boat and goes on fishing, camping and prospecting trips regularly.

He has just sold his house (which he built himself a dozen years ago), told his spendthrift wife he is going to buy a place for himself in a beachside town so he can finally start retirement by going fishing every day, and she should look for somewhere for herself to live. He plans to travel a lot more and will be able to spend longer periods visiting here in Thailand.

So, at the age of 70, he is about to embark on a whole new life, free of the yokes of married life.

He doesn't feel like it's time for the old folk's home!

He has balls!

Don't think I could ever escape this wife unless I outlive her!

I knew that I am getting old when the young lads in my student fraternity started to call me "Sie" (Mister) while I was drinking them under the table.. still can do that though 20 years later..

Sent from my HTC One XL using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

and that's something to be proud of is it? How much longer do you want to live?

fstoppers-aging-before-after2.gif

When I hit 35, I thought for sure cardies and slippers by the time I reached the ripe old age of 50.

I’m now 50 (no need to send gifts … thanks) and enjoying my pants off … well someone’s pants anyway.

OP, you look quite good for your age, not ? biggrin.png

fstoppers-aging-before-after2.gif

When I hit 35, I thought for sure cardies and slippers by the time I reached the ripe old age of 50.

I’m now 50 (no need to send gifts … thanks) and enjoying my pants off … well someone’s pants anyway.

OP, you look quite good for your age, not ? biggrin.png

Jesse The years haven't been kind to you buddy!

@BJ

Just lie about your age.

Just think how great it would be if your age was not in your passport. But then you don't need your passport for a BJ, but you do need it for so many other things like employment if you are going to be legal.

I knew that I am getting old when the young lads in my student fraternity started to call me "Sie" (Mister) while I was drinking them under the table.. still can do that though 20 years later..

and that's something to be proud of is it? How much longer do you want to live?

I am going to live exactly as long as I am given... and I try to enjoy every single day as if it would be my last day on earth - because it might well be my last one...

Old is when there are fewer years ahead of you than there are behind you. Being 60 and knowing, realistically, that you have 15 - 20 years left must really suck. However being 25 and knowing you have 50-60 more years left is wonderful. I understand you can feel young but those years are slipping by, fast.

Yeh I realize we don't know when we are going to die, but I prefer the odds at 25 living the next 50 years....then being 60 knowing the finish line is within sight.

Guys ... some great replies in there ... thumbsup.gif

Have ran out of likes for the moment ... will be back later with a fistfull.

Quite honestly, it's nice to hear the stories.

My Uncle passed when he was 91 (in Oz) ... I took care of him till then.

Lived a full life.

Live the life you want.

Thailand ...puts some B B B into your Bounce ...

.... Being 60 and knowing, realistically, that you have 15 - 20 years left must really suck. However being 25 and knowing you have 50-60 more years left is wonderful....

Please allow me to disagree... being 54 and knowing that the next years ahead will be bright, joyful is much more wonderful than when I was 34, freshly divorced and living in a small studio with the meager salary left to me...

AGE does not suck... what you MAKE of it can suck...

• Like 1

Thats not being old, thats being an alcoholic

I dont know if being warm you get less prone to aches and pains whereas in cold damp England maybe more of a problem?...........also 50 now, got tired of eternal GREY with the UK weather and if there was a sunny day the whole world would be out all at the same time.

Have you asked the Twins their opinion yet??

Edited by kannot

Something to think on.

How old actually are you ?

Are you being led to believe you are a year older than you actually are ?

You dont become one year old until your first birthday but in most cases as you get older and authority enters your life they calculate your age from your birth date as number one but which is in fact not one but zero.

Unless you are in a society that works it out from 9 months before birth.

Here is my age test.

If you think this is a great tune and you would love to be dancing at that club then you are not old - youtu.be/dM4et8GNRwk

If you think this video is cool then you are not old - youtu.be/93nj-kQwmhw

If you don't like either then you are probably old :-)

Sean ... for me ... that is an incredibility narrow minded view on an age differential.

I thought the first song was mindless crap. It's not music, it's a DJ promoting his ego and relying on symbolism to create a marketing differential.

Reverse the roll, your 12 yo is playing the latest wizz bang computer game that you think is childish ... you outgrew that rubbish 20 years ago. It's the same thing.

When I go into Bangkok and Party, I still pull all-nighters and dance the night away. I sometimes see the sun up and the Monks.

Age, my friend is attitude.

Not saying that music isn't right for you ...it's just a personal choice.

BTW ... the second clip was midly amusing ... thanks for sharing ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1