How Young is Old?

David48

how old is old?  

212 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

She was

^^ Mate, sorry to hear about your ailments ... what do you suffer from?

28yo girlfriend wink.png would it be inpolite to ask nationality? Photo is optional ... laugh.png

David,

She is Australian, we were together for nearly ten years.

My ailments are many and varied, some genetic.

I don't want to go into details here other than to say I've had to learn to drive a wheelchair in the past year or so. My castle clambering days are long gone.

• Like 1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's important to be proactive when it comes to this topic.

The next time you're at the beach take a look at the kids and older people. The older people are sitting on their butts exhausted to do anything. The kids are up and playing with their friends or they are doing being active alone. Being inactive and neglecting your body is the quickest way to old age.

Your body doesn't have to deteriorate with age. That's a myth. Take a look at Jack lalanne. The guy was 93 when he passed. He never had any ailments. He looked 20 years younger. He was mobile and did things that a 30 year old couldn't do. We prematurely age because 1) lack of exercise 2) we eat like sh*t. It's not even about taking supplements. Just eat a healthy diet and stay active.

Genetics plays a huge role as well. I'm 44 years old and I look like I'm in my mid 30's. I have a full head of hair, broad shoulders and nice skin. My brother is overweight and is bald. He's only one year younger than me. Funny how it works.

Years of hillwalking in my younger days knackered my knees. Running around on a beach is therefore totally out of the question for me. The doctor advised against walking too much, especially upstairs though I do still walk up to my 7th floor room in the condo where I live. I try to swim for around half an hour most mornings - walking down the stairs to the pool.

I'm not overweight (my body mass index is 23.8%) and still have a full head of hair at 59, as does my 67 year old brother. Baldness is more likely to be genetic though fortunately for me, these genes didn't come from my dad!

Alan

• 5 weeks later...

And so we have more or less the typical attitudes held against the guys of the older generations, the holier than thou, prime and proper so-called followers of decency. It is so sweet that it can make one want to throw up.

Please show me where in my post I have mentioned prostitutes, sex-pats, beer swilling drunks or third world countries? I suggest you read my post again instead of making your own in-between the lines generalisations and stereotyping that all guys over 50 in Thailand are sex crazed drunken louts with no moral fibre or values of decency. I consider your comments as an insult to my good character and integrity. Guessing you are a female, probably no spring chicken yourself, perhaps perceiving yourself as some sort of Mary Poppins or the long and suffering considering yourself being a long standing victim or the animal lusts and abuses of men, the female persecution complex as being the underdogs of men that is common with many ageing Western woman.

I was commenting about how the younger generations and society perceive older guys in general and your post completely substantiates the truth about the attitudes of society that tries to dictate to the older guys what is acceptable behaviour and what should be their place in society.

You know nothing about me and yet you have automatically assumed that I am not doing anything positive in my life with your people like me should hang up their guns, call it a day, feed the ducks in the park and read fairy tale stories to little children philosophy. My life is what I made it, everything I have ever done has been with hard work, legal and honest, I owe nothing to anyone and certainly do not require advice on how I should conduct myself in society and what I should be doing for my best interests to appease women like you.

I am guessing that if you are a female that not all your relationships with men has gone smoothly in the past and therefore you are tarring all us guys with the same brush, which is often the case with women who share the same attitudes as you do and to be honest are the types of women I prefer to avoid and never become associated with as do many others and explains why such women have serious relationship problems in their lives and become bitter and resentful towards men in general.

I'm guessin' she's old.

And likely fat, white and western.

Just guessin'

The chronological age denoted as "old age" varies culturally and historically. Thus, old age is "a social construct" rather than a definite "biological stage".

From Wikipedia.

As well, "old age" will differ from a middle-age perspective, an old-age perspective and from a society's perspective.

But if you need a number, the UN says 60+.

When I was 18, I (and many friends) never thought I would reach 30. Now I am approaching 50. Every day is a bonus really and I try to keep it in the day.

I feel old sometimes physically and occasionally mentally. It is a reality that I can accept with gratitude. I most certainly am not going to fight it by moving to Pattaya when I am 60.

I play tennis and golf regularly but find football too much as I get injured so easily and the injury takes so much longer to get over.

Even though I feel old I remember my Gran died last year at 100 and my mother plays golf 3 times a week at 72, and scores under 90. She met Thongchai Jaidee and another Thai golfer at her golf club the other day.

Then again my grandfathers died at an average age of 40.

What is old? I'd say 65-70 is when old age starts.

Do people die of old age at 60? Sure.

From 'It Ain't Necessarily So' in Porgy & Bess -- Gershwin, Gershwin, & Heyward (1935):

Methus'lah lived nine hundred years,
Methus'lah lived nine hundred years,
But who calls dat livin'
When no gal will give in
To no man what's nine hundred years ?

Edited by JLCrab

Sixty of us started work on the same day back in 1982. Most of us were in our late teens, early twenties.

For each 10 year anniversary, we have had a reunion. The slow imperceptible day-to-day changes in appearance become obviously clear when you haven't seen someone for a decade.

At the last reunion in 2012, there were a number of colleagues that I just didn't recognize. The previous ten years had not been very kind at all, judging by the thickening waists and thinning hair. It was payback time for defective genetics and poor lifestyle choices.

But.....whatever your circumstances, remember:

"I look to the future because that's where I'm going to spend the rest of my life." George Burns

When I was 25, looking at my parents, was hard to believe that they still having sex....

Thinking about that... when I was over 45, I believed that they probably had more sex at that time than I had...

Now..over 60...I believe that they even had a lot better sex that I had at 25....

I am 60 soon.

Some days I feel ancient. Other days I feel like a teenager. (Maybe I am a bit manic!).

Yet, with the right company and the right atmosphere, maybe the right music and a few beers inside, life is still great overall.

A lot of it is in the heart as well as in the mind, though the old(er) bones can sometimes kick that idea into touch, especially on a morning or when recovering form illness or over-indulgence.

I voted for being as young as the woman I am with - as long as she is over 30 ;)

Think about it this way:

For a 4 year old, one year amounts to 25% of your life. When you become 50, one year is 2%.

Exercise, eat well and smile at every sunrise..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You're as old as you want to be or as young as you need to be.laugh.png

I wake up in the morning and think ''well this is a new day.''clap2.gif Sometimes though it's a case of ye gods another day nearer death.cheesy.gif