Where to get herb seedlings or seeds

Mint really does need a cool, moist climate. Happy to see the rosmarin though. Want.

Interting,we are in Lopburi and have grown mint for the past 6 years, we inherited it when we brought the land ,it had been they for about 5 years before,it dos die back in the dry season then comes again when the rains come.

The land is man made ,built up for farm buildings,sub soil, stones ect not over fertile but it dose drain well whch helps ,we do put on some cow muck,which has helped, grows with the Thai basil,but this year we have had a lot of aphids which has stunted it a bit,

Over the years I have been shown websites of seed suppliers in BKK.... but they are all Thai....so unless you have a Thai speaker it is hard to order! More for the farm market than small retail sales I think.

Quite honestly the OP would be better just ordering seed from over seas.... Small shops are generally only going to have what the locals will use... the only on I find some times on Samui, is Italian Basil. (western herbs) ..... Dill and Cilantro are common as the locals use those. thumbsup.gif

The problem with mint, and I would have agreed with the cool climate thing, is this grower near me, has had them going three years at least and they have survived! The only problem is he has peppermint to, and when I was there the other day, both types where flowering which is not good as they cross pollinate, producing lousy tasting mint from the seedlings .... (Thai mint!!!) bah.gif Covering the perennial herbs and making sure they don't have continual wet "feet" is the key to survival over the rainy season (poly tent)

This Thai grower is willing to try anything, he's well read and comprehension of English is good, also will to divulge information.... when he's not busy!

This type of seed or cutting tray is useful....(picture below) to get things started, I just sowed some tomato seeds the other day.... waiting to see how they do!

SAM_2909.JPG

I agree with Simon 43 comments above ^ thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

Over the years I have been shown websites of seed suppliers in BKK.... but they are all Thai....so unless you have a Thai speaker it is hard to order!

You can translate website in a language of your choice automatically by using Google's Chrome as a browser instead of IE (which also can translate by using Bing, but i prefer Chrome).

It's far from being perfect, especially with the thai language, but often it can at least give you a grasp of what is it in there....

Website before translation Same website after translation

post-193352-0-33077300-1406262647_thumb. post-193352-0-91611500-1406262671_thumb.

Also it seems that my newly transplanted Rosmarin it's giving up, not sure why, but possibly because of the frequents and abundant rains we are getting lately.

Should i try to put it back into his original pot to save it or what else can it be??

post-193352-0-49400700-1406264111_thumb.

post-193352-0-84281200-1406264164_thumb.

Rosemary must be well drained - Sandy loams are best.

I haven't had any last here more than 18 months (in Perth we grew it as hedges!)

I'd suggest trimming it (dry the trimmings in a paper bag or strike as cuttings) and re-potting it in well-drained lighter soil.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all for your help.

The royal project sent me herb seedlings with their monthly delivery to Uttaradit at no extra charge. They were about 60 baht and had a large range of farang herbs.

i also got those seeds mailed form the people i mentioned earlier at Chatuchak.

Good gardening fellows! hahaha

• Like 1