Trafficked into slavery on Thai trawlers to catch food for prawns

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this stinking mess is possibly on the junta's clean up list. Or is that just wishful thinking?

I very much doubt it considering how these boats get hold of their slaves, there is clear cut Naval involvement - all covered in the Channel 4 article that resulted in defamation charges against the lot from Phuketwan.

Rohinga come from Burma, Navy redirects to Ko Tarutao, sold onto boats, rinse, repeat. Everyone gets their cut.

Then you've only got to look at who the owners/directors are of the seafood companies that are profiting from this.

Good thing the Navy didn't stage the coup. I don't think the navy has escaped the stink of that yet and this will serve as a reminder to the general that there are people in high positions involved not that he didn't know that any how. I think he can only do so much at a time and there will still be mud to be cleaned out after the next election.

Have it from a reliable person involved that the PTP had cut the daily minimum nourishment to a half for the refuge camps in the Mai Sot area. I wonder if he will look into that.

It is plain to seed that there is lot's to look into and no time. My list of to do might not match your list and maybe the general has a different list. There is so much wrong that a good case could be put forth for all of are lists.

if people read this news in US, UK and other FREE countries, hope they will boycot ?

Maker no difference what the people read. The foreign governments already know about it and have warned Thailand about it.

It is due to political reasons they do nothing. Thailand counter to some peoples belief is not the only country that plays the never any benefit game of politics.

I sincerely hope that the Army can clean this mess up along with all the other spin off policies for refuges. The whole bundle stinks.

And it is no surprise that sitting right at the top of the corrupt dung heap are politicians and police.

Ding, ding, ding, winner!!!!

The level of corruption and complete disregard for human life is simply breathtaking.

The other comment of how implicit western companies are in this trade is spot on too.

There was a similar thread recently around slave labour on these boats so I went to a supermarket in Aus and looked at the cans of tuna. Every brand is made in Thailand, John West, Safcol, store brands, every single one.

To boycott these companies means not eating canned tuna or prawns originating from Thailand. Pay a little more and buy salmon from Alaskan farms from brands that don't support Thai slave labour.

Maybe this stinking mess is possibly on the junta's clean up list. Or is that just wishful thinking?

I very much doubt it considering how these boats get hold of their slaves, there is clear cut Naval involvement - all covered in the Channel 4 article that resulted in defamation charges against the lot from Phuketwan.

Rohinga come from Burma, Navy redirects to Ko Tarutao, sold onto boats, rinse, repeat. Everyone gets their cut.

Then you've only got to look at who the owners/directors are of the seafood companies that are profiting from this.

I think you are forgetting that Thaksin Shinawatra is ni longer in control of any thing.

Maybe his bladder.

oh please. act all indignant all you like but you all enjoy your really really cheap prawns here or overseas. you enjoy your cheap shoes and clothes from the slave factories in indonesia and india, your 'cheap' smart phones from the factories in china. At the end of the day, the african descendants of slaves in America are all better off than those left in Africa. The machinery of the free market is still the BEST at lifting the mass from poverty. Most of the thai business leaders these days are born to chinese immigrants who suffered much the same brutality when they came over here.

it is horrid yes but if you learn to look at the big picture, life is a struggle and we don't all get to be born in the UK and get to collect welfare money while sitting on our asses watching TV and coming over to Pattaya every other month for some bang-bang time.

Does Great Briton really pay that high of welfare?drunk.gif

It's a disgrace that the 'stinking mess' links directly down the chain to the Western purchasers, who are all well aware of the situation but wish to do nothing about it becasue their profits and margins also come first. What a putrid state of affairs! bah.gifsad.pngfacepalm.gif

there was an excellent bbc documentary about this. everyone knows what going on; local businessmen, police, navy, thai and foreign politicians, foreign embassy staff, foreign businesses and no one does anything about it. too many people are making too much money both legally and through corruption for anything to change and as long as people buy the product nothing will change. tragic situation

Not only that but the slaves aren't thai but burmese traditional enemies of the thai.

what a load of western bullshit, have worked on trawlers for years is just some naieve reporter ,trying to get some syponthy if you dont like it jump off, feed the fish, get real all you do gooders

Waoo, now I just wish I'd understand what you're saying.coffee1.gif

............ - a move by the Military against slavery in Thailand would, apart from the right thing to do, be a very smart PR move too.

I thought they started to eradicated this "problem" already in early in April? whistling.gif

Although I don't think that was a real smart PR move facepalm.gif

Edited by JoeLing

Unfortunately similar things happen all over the world possibly not on the same scale although hard to tell as sensationalism sells.

On this very page we have : Thai Embassy issues warning to Sweden-bound berry pickers

There was a story recently of Thais who went to the UAE for work and ended up virtual slaves.

I have personal experience for my son from NZ went to Turkey for a supposed well paid job as a white water rafting guide, something he is experienced at.

I got an urgent call from him 3 months later asking for money to get out, He hadn't been paid for the time he was there and needed money to fly home.

what a load of western bullshit, have worked on trawlers for years is just some naieve reporter ,trying to get some syponthy if you dont like it jump off, feed the fish, get real all you do gooders

How many Thai owned trawlers did you work on? How many Burmese/Cambodians working at sea in the Thai trawl / fishing industry did you talk with, what did they say?

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Unfortunately similar things happen all over the world possibly not on the same scale although hard to tell as sensationalism sells.

On this very page we have : Thai Embassy issues warning to Sweden-bound berry pickers

There was a story recently of Thais who went to the UAE for work and ended up virtual slaves.

I have personal experience for my son from NZ went to Turkey for a supposed well paid job as a white water rafting guide, something he is experienced at.

I got an urgent call from him 3 months later asking for money to get out, He hadn't been paid for the time he was there and needed money to fly home.

Middle eastern ppl seem to be very good at enslaving others. I hear the arabic slave trade is still ongoing and most of the slaves are african/black.

• Like 1

I am sure cracking down on CP Is a top priority of the Generals.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I very much doubt that CP will be using such low quality, poorly handled trash fish in their feed formulations. While trafficking in Thai fisheries is rampant and appalling, linking it to CP or to shrimp farming merely by tossing the name in there is a pretty cheap shot on behalf of the author.

• Like 1

I am sure cracking down on CP Is a top priority of the Generals.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I very much doubt that CP will be using such low quality, poorly handled trash fish in their feed formulations. While trafficking in Thai fisheries is rampant and appalling, linking it to CP or to shrimp farming merely by tossing the name in there is a pretty cheap shot on behalf of the author.

Well mate someone is, have you ever watched Thai trawlers unloading ?

I have in Huahin and there is just as much rubbish unloaded and carted away as there is good edible fish.

What would you think CP would use then ?

Do you really believe they, like anyone else would not use the cheapest ingredient available, after all they are there to make a profit and have done very well at it.

• Like 1

Hello Dolly and I would like to see some evidence for this assertion, please, Northern John.

"..............Have it from a reliable person involved that the PTP had cut the daily minimum nourishment to a half for the refuge camps in the Mai Sot area.............."

• Like 1

It goes on in the USA as well

Now watch as all the hypocrites vanish from the thread.

They should leave and go back to Latin America, problem solved.

But you are OK with the over 1400 years of slavery that is still going on sanctioned by the ideology those in the far southern tip provinces of Thailand practice?

The slavers should become the slaves. That is karmic justice and is what has happened in the case of these Bangladesh-Burmese slaves. They have no problem enslaving those that do not practice their ideology.

It goes on in the USA as well

Now watch as all the hypocrites vanish from the thread.

They should leave and go back to Latin America, problem solved.

But you are OK with the over 1400 years of slavery that is still going on sanctioned by the ideology those in the far southern tip provinces of Thailand practice?

The slavers should become the slaves. That is karmic justice and is what has happened in the case of these Bangladesh-Burmese slaves. They have no problem enslaving those that do not practice their ideology.

They're from Texas, not South America

Go after the ideology that has an over 1400 year history of enslaving non believers in their ideology that continues today. That would be a good start. But the international community will NOT even acknowledge that they are doing it, NOR the UN.

Thailand votes against forced labor protocol. Right before the US considers downgrading them - what are they thinking?

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/jun/13/thailand-votes-against-forced-labour-protocol

Decision now reversed. When the Thai government will update its laws & enforce is the question.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thailand-reverses-earlier-decision-backs-ILO-proto-30236260.html

Edited by simple1