Songtaw to Chaweng

On the Seatran ferry pier, there will be songthaew waiting when the ferry docks. They will at the entry near where the tickets are sold. Standard price on those 60bt. There will usually be 2 or more with at least 1 going each direction to Lamai and Chaweng.

But in Raja, it's more complicated. There won't be songthaew and your options will be to hire a minibuss van or take a taxi, both options will cost about the same, except that for a van, you can get more people, so it'll be more worthwhile.

Standard price to Chaweng and Lamai around 500bt.

I had the experience of these van "mafia" and had to pay 300bt to get to Chaweng. It seems they pretty much control the area.

If you don't have much luggage, an alternative is to hire a motorbike taxi to Nathon, then take songthaew from there. The motorbike ride should be around 100bt. In daytime there should be a couple of motorbike taxis around Raja peer. But in the evening, when the later ferries comes in, there will only be the minibuss mafia there.

Edited by Mole

Hi Carlos. Weather report shows high winds this week, Seatrans has larger and less old boats, something to keep in mind. I was at the Raja ferry port a couple of times in the last two months to pick up friends and there was a sign for a van that said 200 baht to anywhere on Samui both times. Have heard a tout on the boat tries to sign you up for a much more expensive van ticket. If this is actually the case it is a big improvement from before. Mole, when did you have the experience you detail here at the Raja port?

It was after arriving from Air Asia flight which connects to the Raja ferry and arriving at 7:30PM. At this hour, only the van mafia is there to greet you.

I believe Seatran has smaller ferries than Raja? But I like the comfortable reclinable seats in the Raja ferry. Seatran ferries have seats which are nearly 90degrees and not really comfortable to sit.

It was after arriving from Air Asia flight which connects to the Raja ferry and arriving at 7:30PM. At this hour, only the van mafia is there to greet you.

I believe Seatran has smaller ferries than Raja? But I like the comfortable reclinable seats in the Raja ferry. Seatran ferries have seats which are nearly 90degrees and not really comfortable to sit.

When was the last time you took Seatran? Most of their ferries are refurbished & very comfortable..

In matter of fact on 6th June 2014 from Samui to Donsak, on the way back later that day I opted for Lompraya catamaran.

My only complain is that none of their seats can be reclined or adjusted in any way. However, if you are early in and there aren't too much people, you may sleep on the full row of 3-4 seats in the air conditioned room. The same goes for Lompraya BTW, but at least the journey is much shorter.

Edited by Mole

didn't realize yet Seatran has uncomfortable seats. Actually I think inside it is very comfortable. But also very loud, some ear protection would be convenient. There are inexpensive food- and massage-corner.

I think the degree of comfort you enjoy on Seatran largely depends on which ferry you are lucky enough (or otherwise) to be on.

As Birdman says, some of the ferries are well air-conditioned with reclining seats that work - others don't.

My grouse is that the sound of televisions in the enclosed cabins are often too loud for you to be able to relax after maybe a long journey to Donsak