Ok...serious Post

Maejo Man

Phase one of post burglary is complete with new deadlocks everywhere. Now it's time to move onto phase two, which is the fitting of security screens to my two front doors and their adjacent windows.

In all the years of driving around, I have often seen guys in "sunglasses" welding up security screens for windows and doors, but do you think I can find any of them now that I need them?

Any suggestions or recommendations would be gratefully recieved...MM

I have almost all my metalwork made to measure by one of these metal gate makers on the Hang Dong road, about 1/2 Km south of the middle ring road intersection - left hand side going south. In the past few years, he has made security screens, fly screens, doors, a gate and even a trailer for me, amongst other things. I have no phone number for him, but his name is Daeng (Red).

Dropped in there today to collect a new trailer for my bike. His number is 01 882 9962 but his card does not give a street address, I'm afraid.

We used this guy recently to make our railings for our new house. Did a good job. Very pleased. His workshop is just after the furniture shop on the left side as you head south on Hangdong Rd south of the middle ringroad.

An alternative to grills on windows is good locks on all internal doors so once in the house thieves cannot move around easily. OK they can smash your doors/frames, but don't those window grills pull off easily? Our first line of defence is big dogs. Not sure if you can keep out a determined gang, only the passing opportunist thief.

Dropped in there today to collect a new trailer for my bike.

Eh.... :o

You mean you don't have one! The only way I can carry four passengers plus shopping etc.... In fine weather I always use bike + trailer to do the school run.

We used this guy recently to make our railings for our new house. Did a good job. Very pleased. His workshop is just after the furniture shop on the left side as you head south on Hangdong Rd south of the middle ringroad.

That's the guy. Very good work.

there are two ways of getting the grill fitted to the windows. ones using regular screws into the walls and the other is to solder it to steel.

do not go for the screws cause its easy for anyone to unscrew them. soldering however gets the wall all black. so up to you.

there are two ways of getting the grill fitted to the windows. ones using regular screws into the walls and the other is to solder it to steel.

do not go for the screws cause its easy for anyone to unscrew them. soldering however gets the wall all black. so up to you.

I think you are a little confused there TB with soldering :D The term you are perhaps looking for is welding, which is fine if you have steel window frames, most are timber.

I normally use "security" screws, which you screw in, but by virtue of their cunning design, you can't unscrew them with any tool. You can also used standard wood screws, and then hit the centre with a 2mm pin punch. You'll never unscrew them again.

The first of the "tradesmen" arrives tomorrow for a measure and quote courtesy of Mickmac, and the rest later. Next week should see some results :o

Edited by Maejo Man

I think you are a little confused there TB with soldering :D The term you are perhaps looking for is welding, which is fine if you have steel window frames, most are timber.

I normally use "security" screws, which you screw in, but by virtue of their cunning design, you can't unscrew them with any tool. You can also used standard wood screws, and then hit the centre with a 2mm pin punch. You'll never unscrew them again.

The first of the "tradesmen" arrives tomorrow for a measure and quote courtesy of Mickmac, and the rest later. Next week should see some results :o

MM u are right. thats what my wife asked the people who do it. i met one of them in the profession today who has gone to my house for measurements. will let you know what kind of prices he quotes. in case you are interested.

Security Screens are a great way to keep the bad guys out but be careful that you have a way out. You do not want to be trapped in a room if there is a fire. There are worst things than being robbed.

true,

why dont people have security alarms installed as much as in the west? Is it mainly cost or due to the fact that the geckos can trip the sensors?

I personally find the screens/grilles quite unattractive really and gives the look of a light security prison.