Army tries to resolve Loei's gold-mine conflict

webfact

Army tries to resolve gold-mine conflict
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Army has moved in to solve the conflict between local villagers and gold mine operators in Loei's Wang Saphung district, while the mine personnel removed their belongings to make way for the mine's 90-day temporary closure.

Colonel Saowarat Saengpol, deputy commander of the 1st Infantry Battalion at the 8th Infantry Regiment (Sri Song Rak Camp in Loei), said yesterday that he was given the job of overseeing the six villages and mine in tambon Khao Luang in order to promote talks and end the problem soon.

This move followed the villagers’ request for help from the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

Acknowledging the issue’s complexity involving many factors, he said the community and the mine were co-operating with the Army over the past three days, adding the atmosphere was very positive.

He said the June 9 search of the mine facilities did not find any illegal items or weapon, so villagers should feel easier.

He went on to say that the mine had also asked workers to take their belongings away in order to make way for the mine's temporary closure. The village leaders also asked to have a look at the mine’s mineral storage later yesterday, he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-11

I hate these news articles who do not provide the background.

What is the problem with the mine?

its been in the news for a while now if you bothered to look. The mine has been letting its run off poison the ground water and all the villagers have been getting sick, crops dying etc. As usual the rich owners live no where near the mine so have never worried about safety or proper practices as that would take away some of their profit. Basically the mine is slowly killing everything and everyone in the area with the poisons they use to extract the gold.

• Like 2

its been in the news for a while now if you bothered to look. The mine has been letting its run off poison the ground water and all the villagers have been getting sick, crops dying etc. As usual the rich owners live no where near the mine so have never worried about safety or proper practices as that would take away some of their profit. Basically the mine is slowly killing everything and everyone in the area with the poisons they use to extract the gold.

I don’t think it’s a matter of “bothering to look” I think it’s not having sufficient time to read the news in detail every day, it would be nice if some background material could be given before the actual topic, especially a older topic.

• Like 1

The mine is polluting the area and the community started to protest against the mine. The protesters alleged that they were threatened by men in military uniforms. Now the junta are intervening to settle the dispute between the mine and the community, but I don't see anything about catching the moonlighters.

I only hope they bring in some experienced inspectors to go through this facility....there's obviously some pretty serious issues, both for peoples health and the environment, as recent media reports have suggested.

However, there's more than likely some big names attached to the ownership of this mine, which may prove difficult for the military to deal with......

Having said that, the military rulers, to date, appear to have been quite unbiased in the "clean up" department.....keep going !!

This would have to be the most confused run country in the world , there are departments that are provided to carry out proper management of mines sites , environmental , Mines and health , each of these departments should be out prosecuting the mine owners, placing work orders and introducing health programs for the villagers , what's the bloody army got to do with it.coffee1.gif

The owners, and full board of directors need to be FULLY held accountable and pay for the clean up, and compensation of loss of income affecting any residents or those deriving profit from the land now poisoned, then any medical bills in the past and future that can be attributed to the mine, And PUBLICLY NAMED AND SHAMED!!! Gonna be difficult to save face with that one huh? to let any other people doing the same thing that there will be a reckoning.

BUT that's not all, If there is such thing as a mine inspector or similar, then they also should have the same out come as the owners as they are responsible for the correct running of the project.

But will this happen? NOT BLOODY LIKELY... TIT

• Like 1

This was the mine that imported an illegal armed militia to beat, detain and disperse the locals when they tried to protest against the poisoning the mine was producing..... All while the POLICE stood idly by.

I hope the army take this investigation to the police level also.... why did they do nothing?????

They were paid.... simple.

I don’t think it’s a matter of “bothering to look” I think it’s not having sufficient time to read the news in detail every day, it would be nice if some background material could be given before the actual topic, especially a older topic.

Spot on. a quick situation summary would just take about 3 lines of text.

There are many news stories like this which just deliver a bit of news, but no background info whatsover, which makes it impossible to understand what it is about.

A brief summary is part of news work for me.

Edited by manarak