BMA seeks to manage Chatuchak Market again

webfact

BMA seeks to manage Chatuchak Market again
The Nation

30235947-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is planning to seek permission to start managing the famous Chatuchak Weekend Market again.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Amorn Kitchawengkul said yesterday that the BMA would ask the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) for permission.

The Chatuchak Weekend Market is located on a plot of land owned by the State Railway of Thailand (SRT). The BMA had managed the market for 30 years, turning it into a famous attraction, until the land-lease contract expired on January 1, 2012.

"We are ready to negotiate a new rent with SRT," Amorn said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-11

• Like 1

Yes praise the BMA for turning it into a famous attraction, so famous no tourist has ever heard of them before.

Do they write the Lonely Planet travel guide books too?

No they just collect money, obviously they are out of pocket and need to regain control.

I don't understand what people like so much about this JJ market? It's hot, crowded and dirty. tongue.png

Answered your own question:

Hot, crowded and dirty.

So there must be something good there, right? Just like when you see a long line- gotta wonder what they're queuing for- and whether you should be in the line, too.

For me, it's something I'll never see "back home", so worthy of an occasional visit. But I'm outta there by 11:00 when it gets too bad...

JJ Market is one of the best places for local traders to purchase their goods for resale.....

Yes....hot...dirty and chlaustraphobic....but there's some great deals there.......we buy all our trees and plants there at 5am...the vendors deliver and plant for us...great service!!

But....the vendors are constantly harrassed and threatened by the local "mafia" who literally control the market shops, for money.....something that the SRT chooses to totally ignore.