Shock defeat of majority leader Eric Cantor by Tea Party sends shockwaves through Republican Party

webfact

The will of the people has been shown through democratic elections.

Are you serious? First of all, the "will of the people" wasn't well represented as most of Cantor's supporters didn't even bother to vote. The turnout was pitiful.

Secondly, the message being sent to other Republicans is you should never work towards fixing America, but work towards gaining the support of a small minority of folks who voted you into office. If you think congressional gridlock is bad now, you ain't seen nothing yet.

• Like 1

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just by the by: when was the last time a house majority leader lost a primary?

1888 I read today. Or was it '98? The Democrats did something even more stupid back around 1994, in the 5th Congressional District, State of Washington (Spokane). Tom Foley was the Speaker of the House, and the voters turned him out in favor of a lying GOP snake named George Nethercutt.

Both US parties today are in shameful condition. The Republicans have sucked up to the new Know Nothing Party (Teabaggers), and have absolutely NOBODY worthy of being President, except for Jon Huntsman, former Governor of Utah, Ambassador to Japan, fluent in Mandarin Chinese, the sort of candidate the Repubs used to have back until about 1963. No chance, the baggers call him a "RINO". (Republican in Name Only---Too Lib-rul!)

And now we are having Hillary Clinton shoved down our throats as the only Democrat to consider. I wouldn't vote for that NeoCon forked tongue devil woman under any circumstances. As for Obama, I will refer back to what Barry Goldwater once said of Richard M. Nixon: "No man ever disappointed me more." As far as policy goes, it's as if we are now in the 14th year of the G.W. Bush administration.

How Long, O Lord, How Long?

• Like 1

old and white and conservative but they are mostly motivated by their strong dislike that we have a black man using the front door of the White House.

There are so many better reasons to dislike the guy than the color of his skin.

I know plenty of conservatives that detest Obama and the color of his skin is not a factor. His lame policies, dishonestly and hypocrisy are the problem.

I am not big on the Tea Party either, but mostly because they are too rigid in their ideology and poor at picking candidates that can win.

I said the teabaggers are motivated by racism, I did not say most republicans.

You should actually do your home work before making that remark.

there are many minority people in the Tea party and no they are not teabaggers.

As A Canadian it seems that i know a little more than some Americans.

The Teaparty is made up of various groups that have 3 main objectives.

1. Cut the spending and make the government set a budget that is affordable without borrowing money.

2. make the elected officials true to their word.

3. Less government involvement in their lives.

How did Brat get elected. It was simply that Cantor said one thing when he ran and did another also the turn out was so pathetic that it was easy to win.

Will a Dem win not a chance that seat is a GOP seat and this guy has no ghosts in the closet he is new and he is clean.

I'm sure the Teaparty website will say that they're all for these lofty ideals that we should all support. And they sure do sound good. But reality is a lot different. Ever been to a Teaparty rally? Pretty much a sea of white folks. But beyond the rhetoric, the Teaparty stands for extreme right wing views. Anti-immigration, anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-religion (except their own), anti-gun control legislation, anti-women's rights, etc. Deep down, the GOP knows that the Teaparty will lead to their destruction. Because these Teaparty folks--small in number but extremely vocal--will give mainstream America (read the majority) the impression that the GOP is a party of backwards, out-of-touch, bible-thumping, old, misogynistic, racist white guys.

You folks too much credence to a label. GOP this, Dem that, Tea Party whacko... The fact is that Brat ran against Cantor specifically on an anti-immigration reform platform while Cantor was front-running the GOP charge on doing a deal this year. The people spoke loudly that they do not want amnesty nor any deal for the millions of illegals in the US. Now the administration has opened the borders the 10's of thousands on children and they are being stockpiled in southern states with no plan, just let the Dreamers in. Yet another fine mess.

As for illegals in the USA; the FAT LADY has sung and the curtain closed on any chance of stopping the wide open floodgate of mexicans, central americans and others too from wading the knee deep Rio Grande or being hauled over the border hidden in a panel truck to be taken to a border city where they will meld into a mostly hidden society, have an anchor baby, and continue to suck American dry while contribution little to America's improvement on any front; Dems. Republicans, Teabagggers, it doesn't matter. We will never get rid of the milllions of illlegals in America. Supporting their free ride here is like giving aid to Pakistan or Afghanistan which means our money is wasted yet we keep giving. Maybe a new column needs to be added to the US national Debt Clock for Illegal Aid so we can see just how fast our money is being given to the blatant lawbreakers

• Like 1

Not really supported by the Tea Party, no cash from the Tea Party, no real support from the Tea Party. Democracy in action the candidate with over five million USD to spend on his campaign was soundly trounced by someone that spent just over $200,000 USD. Democracy in action.

And how much money did John Pudner's SuperPAC spend?

Added: You know, while I was trying to find out if they actually published a figure, I discovered that Coke's lame attempt at buying politicians is known as:

"The Coca-Cola Company Nonpartisan Committee for Good Government".

Good grief.

Edited by Chicog

Because these Teaparty folks--small in number but extremely vocal--will give mainstream America (read the majority) the impression that the GOP is a party of backwards, out-of-touch, bible-thumping, old, misogynistic, racist white guys.

Will?

cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Good Lord, replace a few key words/names with; Thaksin, Suthep, UDD, Pheu Thai and this whole thread could shift to the Thai News section, seriously surreal! But seriously. It wasn't really reported in the mainstream press, but there had been a pretty vitriolic campaign on conservative talk radio against him on several topics; immigration and his ties to Wall St. For example:

Rightwing radio host Laura Ingram, hammering Cantor on immigration at a June 2 Brat rally:

"I kind of wish, thinking about this, that President Obama would have thought this through a little bit more. And maybe, for getting Sgt. Bergdahl out of captivity,

instead of sending five Taliban MVPs over there, he could have just traded one Eric Cantor"

Cantor also didn't help himself with his support of Wall St and the unconditional bail outs, which also gave Brat something to hammer him on to the delight of his Tea Party supporters at an election rally:

"All the investment banks up in New York and D.C. or whatever, those guys should've gone to jail. Instead of going to jail, where did they go? They went onto Eric's Rolodex. That's where they all are, and they're sending him big checks."

To me it says a few things. Cantor forgot that at the end of the day ALL politics is local, you don't forget your constituency, regardless of how powerful you are in DC. It also unfortunately tells candidates in our highly partisan system, that any attempt on compromise on literally anything, is likely to lose you a primary election.

• Like 1

Good Lord, replace a few key words/names with; Thaksin, Suthep, UDD, Pheu Thai and this whole thread could shift to the Thai News section, seriously surreal! But seriously. It wasn't really reported in the mainstream press, but there had been a pretty vitriolic campaign on conservative talk radio against him on several topics; immigration and his ties to Wall St. For example:

Rightwing radio host Laura Ingram, hammering Cantor on immigration at a June 2 Brat rally:

"I kind of wish, thinking about this, that President Obama would have thought this through a little bit more. And maybe, for getting Sgt. Bergdahl out of captivity,

instead of sending five Taliban MVPs over there, he could have just traded one Eric Cantor"

Cantor also didn't help himself with his support of Wall St and the unconditional bail outs, which also gave Brat something to hammer him on to the delight of his Tea Party supporters at an election rally:

"All the investment banks up in New York and D.C. or whatever, those guys should've gone to jail. Instead of going to jail, where did they go? They went onto Eric's Rolodex. That's where they all are, and they're sending him big checks."

To me it says a few things. Cantor forgot that at the end of the day ALL politics is local, you don't forget your constituency, regardless of how powerful you are in DC. It also unfortunately tells candidates in our highly partisan system, that any attempt on compromise on literally anything, is likely to lose you a primary election.

You raise a very good point. I wonder how much it will cost the corporate PACs to buy Brat off?

Oh, silly me.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

Are you serious? First of all, the "will of the people" wasn't well represented as most of Cantor's supporters didn't even bother to vote. The turnout was pitiful.

Secondly, the message being sent to other Republicans is you should never work towards fixing America, but work towards gaining the support of a small minority of folks who voted you into office. If you think congressional gridlock is bad now, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Am I serious? Serious about what? There was an election and Cantor lost. Last time I checked, there were no compulsory voting laws in the US. If people don't feel that voting is a civic responsibility, that's their choice. In a democracy, we all live with the results of an election and its impact on the democratic institutions. Would you prefer, by chance, a military dictatorship?

If all you arm chair quarterbacks want to find out why Cantor lost, you might want to read the following article.

It wasn't the tea party or immigration reform. I suggest you read it all the way through.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Media Is Missing The Point Of Cantor’s Defeat
11:53 PM 06/11/2014
Christopher Bedford
Managing Editor
Major media outlets are missing a major aspect of why House Majority Leader Rep. Eric Cantor was defeated Tuesday night, grassroots Virginia activists tell The Daily Caller.
When Cantor was defeated by his primary challenger Tuesday night, the national pundits looked confused. They hadn’t prepped for this moment, and most political watchers hadn’t even followed the race.
“Well, [insert anchor's name,]” the average guest opined. “The conventional wisdom suggests that Eric Cantor was defeated because of his support for immigration reform, and this is sure to send a chilling message to moderate Republicans and GOP business interests,” etc.
Except the “conventional wisdom” just hours before had been that Mr. Cantor was moments from sailing to victory. And that was wrong.
“Those who attribute Cantor’s loss to immigration reform know little about Virginia politics and what’s gone on in the state over the past two years or so,” Americans for Tax Reform State Affairs Manager Paul Blair told TheDC.
  • Like 1

Cantor Slayer Dave Brat Wants To Get Tough On NSA

"While political pundits across Washington are already sounding the death knell for immigration reform over Majority Leader Eric Cantor’s surprising Virginia primary loss to tea party opponent Dave Brat, little mention has been made of its influence on another major Congressional reform effort — National Security Agency spying.
As the first leaks of classified NSA bulk surveillance programs rocked Capitol Hill last summer, Cantor voted against legislation that would have significantly reigned in the signals intelligence agency’s ability sweep up phone metadata on Americans – a vote that came much closer to passage than anyone expected"
Sounds like Brat doesn't plan on being Obama's beotch like Cantor was.
Edited by NeverSure

Am I serious? Serious about what? There was an election and Cantor lost. Last time I checked, there were no compulsory voting laws in the US. If people don't feel that voting is a civic responsibility, that's their choice. In a democracy, we all live with the results of an election and its impact on the democratic institutions. Would you prefer, by chance, a military dictatorship?

I'm not disputing anything you say--in theory. But your comment sounds very much like something a politician would say, nothing resembling reality. A little naive, don't you think? In theory, yes, a true democracy is supposed to be about the "will of the people." The only Americans who still believe that are the ones truly out-of-touch with what's happening in Washington. America has been turned into a country run by special interest. There was a piece on CNN just this morning talking about that very thing.

I'm personally glad that Cantor lost--it weakens the Republican party that much more. But it wasn't about the "will of the people," but the "will of the people who wanted Cantor out." Anyways, we're beating a dead horse here. Keep believing in what America purports to be, not what it is.

I'm not disputing anything you say--in theory. But your comment sounds very much like something a politician would say, nothing resembling reality. A little naive, don't you think? In theory, yes, a true democracy is supposed to be about the "will of the people." The only Americans who still believe that are the ones truly out-of-touch with what's happening in Washington. America has been turned into a country run by special interest. There was a piece on CNN just this morning talking about that very thing.

I'm personally glad that Cantor lost--it weakens the Republican party that much more. But it wasn't about the "will of the people," but the "will of the people who wanted Cantor out." Anyways, we're beating a dead horse here. Keep believing in what America purports to be, not what it is.

I disagree. Big interest, big money, and Washington got their butts kicked by a group of very motivated outsiders.

The establishment was so sure of itself many didn't bother to vote. Tough luck. The pundits had Cantor winning by 80% so why bother - "they don't need my vote."

The big spender forgot to pay attention to what his constituents wanted, forgot to attend local events, and pandered to big money and Wall Street.

Cantor refused to vote for a bill that nearly passed - a bill to reign in NSA. He refused to help reign in illegal immigration. Those are both hot topics with many voters. He voted with insider DC instead of bothering to find out what the people who elected him wanted.

This was truly "Government of the people by the people and for the people." (From Pres. Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, spoken in 1863 during the Civil War, lasting just 2 minutes, and one of the greatest speeches in American history.)

• Like 1

If all you arm chair quarterbacks want to find out why Cantor lost, you might want to read the following article.

It wasn't the tea party or immigration reform. I suggest you read it all the way through.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Media Is Missing The Point Of Cantor’s Defeat
11:53 PM 06/11/2014
Christopher Bedford
Managing Editor
Major media outlets are missing a major aspect of why House Majority Leader Rep. Eric Cantor was defeated Tuesday night, grassroots Virginia activists tell The Daily Caller.
When Cantor was defeated by his primary challenger Tuesday night, the national pundits looked confused. They hadn’t prepped for this moment, and most political watchers hadn’t even followed the race.
“Well, [insert anchor's name,]” the average guest opined. “The conventional wisdom suggests that Eric Cantor was defeated because of his support for immigration reform, and this is sure to send a chilling message to moderate Republicans and GOP business interests,” etc.
Except the “conventional wisdom” just hours before had been that Mr. Cantor was moments from sailing to victory. And that was wrong.
“Those who attribute Cantor’s loss to immigration reform know little about Virginia politics and what’s gone on in the state over the past two years or so,” Americans for Tax Reform State Affairs Manager Paul Blair told TheDC.

Perfect example of a lobby group, Americans for Tax Reform, who are caught on the wrong side of the immigration issue. AFTR is headed by Grover Nordquist who is an open borders zealot. Just because Cantor's opponent made immigration the very center of his campaign and criticism of Cantor, well, that doesn't mean anything. Just wish it all away. It's all about no new taxes, small govt., and the usual neocon bs. BTW, even the link you give above admits to the importance of immigration--it just delays it until the very end of the article. All that "power play" howling is just popcorn talk.

Virginia's 7th Congressional district is the very definition of a gerrymandered district (R + 10), what a nutty map.

http://ballotpedia.org/Virginia's_7th_Congressional_District_elections,_2014

It is interesting that both candidates for the general election in November, Dave Brat and Jack Trammell are both professors at Randolph-Macon College in Ashland.

What’s more, a couple of polls of the 7th indicate that on some issues, it may be well to the left of the Republican Brat. A PPP poll of registered voters released Tuesday found that 72 percent supported comprehensive immigration reform including a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants. Even among self-identified Republicans, 70 percent back a path to citizenship and 58 percent consider reform “very important.” Brat’s primary campaign focused heavily on his opposition to “amnesty.”

Regarding immigration, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) has been extremely vocal and leading the pro-Immigration reform efforts for ~ 8 years, and he handily won his primary. Mr. Cantor, probably realized his errors too late, and did try to back-pedal in the two weeks leading up to the primary.

Edited by lomatopo

Anybody that thinks this will make a bit of difference (outside the nightly news debates who will argue ad nausea), please raise your hand.

Getting elected is one thing. Actually accomplishing anything against entrenched $$$ interests is a whole 'nother thing.

This shows how extremist the Republican party has become. I can't think of anyone more conservative than Cantor (who shouldn't be on psychological meds) and yet he was beaten in his own primary. Democrats now have a chance to take the seat one would hope. The teabaggers are genuinely nuts. So nuts that some lean towards fascism while others lean towards anarchy.

Not a chance. There will be a wholesale change on the Hill come November and the Dems don't have a chance or a clue...

Yeah right, I take it you're using the same polling Cantor used.

The so called Tea Party is endlessly fascinating - there is no ideological consistency in it at all really...well, not in the conventional left-right sense anyway. There's the extreme libertarian wing advocating that any all drugs should be legalized coupled with an isolationist foreign policy sitting on the same couch with christian zealots and social conservatives advocating a state religion with attendant enforced moralities. I like to think of it as the psychotropic wing of US polictics. I imagine that that they will end up eating their own down the road in the search for some sort of consistency - they'll eventually have their own bolsheviks. But in the meantime a very big tent indeed. Truly fascinating.

I have never understood the fascination so many conservative Americans have with Teabagging , or whatever it is they call their movement.

The entire philosophy seems to be focused on obstructionism and not in the spirit of compromise that our Nation was founded on.

I have spoken to many of these teabaggers (?) and they are all so angry about everything. There is not a topic they are not pissed off about.

They'd be really pissed off if one or more of the Federal hand-out checks didn't arrive in their mailbox. So much for 'less federal government.' They talk about lessening federal spending, but hem and haw when it comes to any specific cuts. Indeed, I don't think there is any politicians, on either side of the aisle, who could be serious about cutting runaway federal spending. If they asked me, I'd say start by cutting ALL federal spending by 20% - across the board, including % payments to the Chinese. Then take a hard look at ALL spending programs, including SS, veterans payments, salaries, CDC, Parks, NASA, DEA (especially DEA), ...EVERYTHING ON THE TABLE. ....to see what could be cut. I'm 100% debt free. If a family can't afford chips and dip for dinner, they shouldn't go out to the fanciest restaurant and use credit cards for pheasant under glass, with the finest wine. That's how gov't thinks. It it were Thai government, they would order the most expensive items, and then a middle man would pop out from behind a curtain and say, with a sly smile; 'oh, those items are expensive, but you should pay 20 times as much' ...and the restaurant clients would smile back and pay 20 times as much.

It would be impossible in the US, because everyone, including teabaggers, has fingers in the cake. They're convinced that all federal and state programs are sacrosanct.

I have never understood the fascination so many conservative Americans have with Teabagging , or whatever it is they call their movement.

The entire philosophy seems to be focused on obstructionism and not in the spirit of compromise that our Nation was founded on.

I have spoken to many of these teabaggers (?) and they are all so angry about everything. There is not a topic they are not pissed off about.

They'd be really pissed off if one or more of the Federal hand-out checks didn't arrive in their mailbox. So much for 'less federal government.' They talk about lessening federal spending, but hem and haw when it comes to any specific cuts. Indeed, I don't think there is any politicians, on either side of the aisle, who could be serious about cutting runaway federal spending. If they asked me, I'd say start by cutting ALL federal spending by 20% - across the board, including % payments to the Chinese. Then take a hard look at ALL spending programs, including SS, veterans payments, salaries, CDC, Parks, NASA, DEA (especially DEA), ...EVERYTHING ON THE TABLE. ....to see what could be cut. I'm 100% debt free. If a family can't afford chips and dip for dinner, they shouldn't go out to the fanciest restaurant and use credit cards for pheasant under glass, with the finest wine. That's how gov't thinks. It it were Thai government, they would order the most expensive items, and then a middle man would pop out from behind a curtain and say, with a sly smile; 'oh, those items are expensive, but you should pay 20 times as much' ...and the restaurant clients would smile back and pay 20 times as much.

It would be impossible in the US, because everyone, including teabaggers, has fingers in the cake. They're convinced that all federal and state programs are sacrosanct.

Or...as an alternative, they could nationalize the banks and solve the real problem...

I hunt and prepare my own pheasant.

You lost me with the idea of changing SS and the VA because that is breaking these contracts with hard working Americans who have paid their dues.

And although I agree with the gist of much of what you said about personal fiscal responsibility, there are very few Americans who don't need to take a mortgage on their first home. The fact is some debt is necessary for growth.

Cheers

More surprises still to come. The backlash against obama is going to be incredible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A Republican primary result is a backlash against Obama. Ooooooooo Kkkkkkkkkkkk.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

You lost me with the idea of changing SS and the VA because that is breaking these contracts with hard working Americans who have paid their dues.

I hear you. My personal favorite Fed program is National Parks. Everyone has their favorites. John McCain, in his acceptance speech for the 2008 campaign, said, "We will look at cutting everything, but not veterans' benefits." Retired Americans would say something similar, like 'you can look at cutting anything, but don't even think about touching social security.' What I'm saying is: Because the US spending waaaaaay beyond its means, it should start with a 20% across-the-board cut FOR EVERYTHING. Share the pain. There will always be sacrosant programs for every special interest, and great arguments for shielding one or a slew of Fed payments from cuts.

If a veteran gets a check for $1,800/month, instead of $2,160, he'll just have to be a bit more thrifty. He won't get tossed out on the street in his skivvies. I admit, there are a lot better places to cut the fat, than veteran payments, but again, it's all subjective.

It's a giant topic. There are bridges which need fixing, there are test tubes of smallpox which need continual refrigeration, there are defunct nuke missile silos which cost $50 million/annually to maintain, there is CDC which finds vaccines for virulent pathogens, the list goes on and on. Americans are spending way beyond their means. Perhaps they need something like China asking to cash in all its T-bills, as a big wake-up call. Or a depression, which almost happened in 2008.

It's a giant topic. There are bridges which need fixing, there are test tubes of smallpox which need continual refrigeration, there are defunct nuke missile silos which cost $50 million/annually to maintain, there is CDC which finds vaccines for virulent pathogens, the list goes on and on. Americans are spending way beyond their means. Perhaps they need something like China asking to cash in all its T-bills, as a big wake-up call. Or a depression, which almost happened in 2008.

Do a little Googling and find out what percentage of GDP is hoovered up by the gov't, then write up a list of the useful services the gov't provides for us.

Then do a little more Googling and find out what percentage of GDP is hoovered up by the banking and finance industry, and write up a list of all the useful services they provide for us. Don't forget to net out the damage they do every few years on your list of "benefits".

Then see if there may be an even simpler solution.

A few years back, someone figured out that clawing back just the bonuses paid to banksters who worked at entities requiring bailouts would have paid out the deficits of almost all local and state governments that year. Deficits that were largely a result of the actions of those very banksters.

One thing the Tea Party sort of have right is cutting taxes. Cut the taxes at the bottom end, pay for them with money taken from corporate and private tax evaders, and watch spending increase and the economy boom.

The thing is that the very politicians who could do this are the ones being paid by said tax evaders not to do so.

So it's never going to happen.