Your experiences with AirAsia X on a long flight

I am planning on flying From bangkok to Seoul, flight time about 6 hours, in economy class on AirAsia X just wanted to get others opinions and experiences flying long haul on AirAsia X. Was it good, bad, etc and Any advice or anything should i know about besides having to pay for extras like luggage, in flight entertainment, food, drinks, pillows, seat selection, boarding passes that would help me before I go. Does checking in take very long??

Look forward to responses and opinions on the matter

Expect more cramped seating than you might be used to. They are probably running A330's on that route. Those planes are normally configured as an 8-across row (2-4-2) on most airlines. I read sometime back that Air Asia X was setting them up for 9-across seating (3-3-3). These aircraft are also usually set up on most airlines to carry around 300 passengers, but I believe Air Asia X (if memory serves correctly) has them outfitted for around 375 passengers.

Not sure if they have seatback video, etc.

Air aisa is a no frills budget carrier, thus you get only the very basics on board. Have food prior boarding and if you want inflight entertainment either carry ur own or pay for it....Cheers...

They're good for the money they charge, buy food and other staff you might

need to this flight when you book the ticket or even after,

make sure you don't miss the flight, otherwise kiss your ticket goodbye....

If you have long legs forget about it - Air Asia is just not for you unless you pay extra for the few seats with extended leg room.

On many occasions you are required to walk to the plane on the tarmac and have to climb stairs to board, a problem if you have a disability.

I have done the Bali trip 3.5 hours, as someone mentioned .Red carpet is well worth the small extra---I think it was about 1,000 baht on that run, included lounge access all free food & drink (no alcohol) more leg room, (they incorporate the emergency isle & 2 others) They do the walk through immigration departure--- & some other extras that I just can not remember now.

I have used AirAsia for Chiang Mai - KUL - Melbourne, and I like Air Asia more than, say, a legacy airline such as Cathay Pacific, because I have much more control over what I get for what I pay.

It's true there are more seats across than on some other airlines, but they are still bearable. I always book a seat with extra legroom and that's definitely worth the extra money for me (I'm 194 cm). I t normally pre-order meals (OK, nothing special in my opinion) and I always pay for my baggage in advance. As someone else has mentioned, their baggage fees have gone up a lot recently, and unlike some other low cost carriers, they only allow 7 kg of carry on. So either travel light or pay up in advance.

In future, I think I'll pay for food and baggage closer to the time I'm actually travelling. If there's a change of plan and I have to cancel, better that I lose the smallest amount of money possible. They're not renown for giving refunds.

Service is OK - and I'm looking forward to using the new LCC terminal jn Kualur Lumpur the next time I fly (late this month).

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have done the Bali trip 3.5 hours, as someone mentioned .Red carpet is well worth the small extra---I think it was about 1,000 baht on that run, included lounge access all free food & drink (no alcohol) more leg room, (they incorporate the emergency isle & 2 others) They do the walk through immigration departure--- & some other extras that I just can not remember now.

Maybe have a look at Scoot Airline (part of the Singapore Airlines family). They do have flights out of swampy to Sydney (and maybe other Oz cities).

Their fares and extras are worth exploring by various dates, often have great promotions.

Have also have 'business class'. I recently found a return Bus class flight Bkk - Sydney - Bkk for 22,000Baht, with bigger leg space, but check how the extras work.

Good luck.

Edited by scorecard

The new terminal used by AirAsia and others is an improvement, tho it's still fairly hectic at the check-in in counters. You can use any counter now, not one specifically for your flight, so you can unload the heavy baggage as soon as you get there.

The nice differences are: no more steep stairs off the plane. No more long walks from the plane in the heat/rain. It's Skyway off the plane into the terminal, then the long walk to Immigration. Restaurants are inside in the air con, not outside, and they seem a lot more upmarket. Things were still being installed a week ago, such as ATM machines.

I enjoyed being able to get on the express train from Sentral in KL and then direct to the main airport and then the new KLIA2. A good trip for 35RM and no haggling about the fare. 28 minutes travel time.

• Like 2

The new terminal used by AirAsia and others is an improvement, tho it's still fairly hectic at the check-in in counters. You can use any counter now, not one specifically for your flight, so you can unload the heavy baggage as soon as you get there.

The nice differences are: no more steep stairs off the plane. No more long walks from the plane in the heat/rain. It's Skyway off the plane into the terminal, then the long walk to Immigration. Restaurants are inside in the air con, not outside, and they seem a lot more upmarket. Things were still being installed a week ago, such as ATM machines.

I enjoyed being able to get on the express train from Sentral in KL and then direct to the main airport and then the new KLIA2. A good trip for 35RM and no haggling about the fare. 28 minutes travel time.

Just came through it today, big improvement on 3 weeks ago, but still many businesses not yet open, and lots of painting still going on. Needs more signage for gate locations, and, it is a good walkto immigration, and from departure to gates.

Please note, everyone, that Air Asia X (which the OP is asking about) is not the same thing as Air Asia, so some of our experiences with the latter may not apply. For example, in Singapore, there is a number for AA X passengers that AA passengers cannot use (we have to make a non-toll-free call to Indonesia!). The ownership of AA X is a little different than AA. And supposedly this month Thai AA X will launch (not to be confused with Thai AA).

If you have long legs forget about it - Air Asia is just not for you unless you pay extra for the few seats with extended leg room.

On many occasions you are required to walk to the plane on the tarmac and have to climb stairs to board, a problem if you have a disability.

I flew bkk to syd via KL....paid an extra $40 usd for exit row aisle seat with plenty of leg room which was well worth it for 8 hour flight...turns out I had entire row to myself ...bring your own food, music etc and no problems at all other than KL airport being an awful airport..

No different to other airline but food, drinks, tv cost extra.

I used them last year to fly to Oz. Prepaid tv, 2 meals and drinks.

Was woken up to be given tv but no food, when questioned where my food was , was given some cold left overs.

After the stop over, my tv arrived 1 hour before landing, ie 6 hours into the flight.

Over all, it is cheap if money is your main concern, but if you want "easy" trip I would not use them

No different to other airline but food, drinks, tv cost extra.

I used them last year to fly to Oz. Prepaid tv, 2 meals and drinks.

Was woken up to be given tv but no food, when questioned where my food was , was given some cold left overs.

After the stop over, my tv arrived 1 hour before landing, ie 6 hours into the flight.

Over all, it is cheap if money is your main concern, but if you want "easy" trip I would not use them

The flight staff need reminding that if you're resting your eyes, then you want to be woken and given your food.

With 5 hours flying in front of me, I was less than pleased to be told that my meal had been given to someone else as I was dozing. The spaghetti offered to me was NOT an option. blink.png

I have used them extensively both economy and flat bed. Even with paying for anything you want it's still way cheaper, you can get cheap up grades which others don't do, the staff I think are actually more friendly and now they have moved position at KL they have removed the only thing I didn't like ... the long walk from the plane. I don't know why people are complaining about the leg room ( maybe they haven't actually flown them ) but I don't see a difference with AirAsia X or most of the others, I fly mostly Phuket/Australia and really it's a short flight any way how much can a person need, Im happy to stick with them now I have tried them.

On the Malaysia - Australia routes, you get an email after booking that offers additional products, like buying an upgrade option, or buying an empty seat next to you in economy, even reduced baggage. I have used this a few times for upgrade and empty seat next to me, and it is great. Hopefully they will do the same on the Thailand Korea routes.

Not any more mate,new airport is open and is pretty good.