Thailand to build villages for migrant workers

webfact

Village or Ghetto?

That was exactly my first thought. Whether intentional or not, these villages will effectively become ghettos.....unless managed from outside properly and continually.

Some people always look on the dark side .... or maybe you're from Thailand's ex pat ghetto, Pattaya?

These villages are to stop the migrants being fleeced by unscrupulous locals. The old regime is gone now and Thailand is looking to clean up it's image.

Actually, I always try to look on the bright side except when reality is the more probable.

Auschwitz, springs to mind.whistling.gif

Well since something is springing to your mind, perhaps I'll investigate who will be supplying the ovens and barbed wire as well as Zyklon B.

I guess some really strange things spring to some people's minds.blink.png

I think he's more or less espousing and perhaps he's exaggerating a certain mistrust of the current "government's" proposed policy with their suggested solutions.

Council houses in England come to mind... Then we can continue with the housing projects in America. The welfare of the recipients is negligible in the eyes of such proposers and indeed is calculated to obtain a popular vote or opinion. The aforementioned said opinion benefits soon to be politicians and corporations looking for cheap labour.

I'd say slums not Auschwitz : where the poor have nothing to look forward to other than another dull day of repetition and abuse.

Edited by Local Drunk

Phil Robertson @Reaproy 43s

#Thailand all by itself in defending forced labor - #ILO says that #Bangkok only country to vote against new protocol

See Bangkok Post "Thailand snubs forced labour pact" for story. The Thai junta is the only govt in the world who voted against. Not the most promising start if you were expecting sincerity on these issues.

I am not sure you are correct on that.

Well I got it directly from the story and Phil Robertson of Human Rights Watch tweeted the above. But if you have evidence to the contrary...

https://news.yahoo.com/pact-halt-forced-labor-snubbed-thailand-gulf-ilo-165246308.html

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As long as migrants aren't forced to live in the villages.
Can't really see the point myself as there are existing laws for foreign labour which just need to be enforced to stop their exploitation.

Can't really see the point myself

The point is that many of these people live in conditions that you would not let your dog or cat live in...many have NO housing and sleep on the floor where they work...some live in...what can best be described as a clothes closet...no electricity or plumbing...and little security...

So...kudos once again to the military...they continue to surprise and impress...

The point is that many of these people live in conditions that you would not let your dog or cat live in...many have NO housing and sleep on the floor where they work...some live in...what can best be described as a clothes closet...no electricity or plumbing...and little security...

So...kudos once again to the military...they continue to surprise and impress...

yes this is what the dutch in south africa did, the germans in 1930 - 1945, there are still a lot of peopel without education or brain outside who talk about this like a good way totreat people, until they are the person who will be send somewhere and loose all rights and properties

The junta plans to arrest and deport all illegal migrant workers, according to The Straits Times, quoting an army spokesman describing them as a "threat". If that's the case, who are these villages for? The ones who have a work permit?

If they come here illegally they don't deserve anything. But if they have a work permit then they should be afforded the basics of food, water, sanitation and a humble roof over their heads at night.

Can't really see the point myself as there are existing laws for foreign labour which just need to be enforced to stop their exploitation.

As I said, there are existing laws that, were they enforced, would prevent the conditions you describe.

please ignore this box - linked in error

The OP hints that the ruling military council will try to address the health needs of migrants. Yingluck's government brought in a number of reforms: a voluntary health card for migrant workers; an entitlement for stateless people to register and get the same benefits as Thais have under the universal coverage scheme; and free cover for migrant children. The MoPH was also working on a policy to prepare the way for AEC by cooperating with Burma, Laos and Cambodia to develop healthcare facilities in border areas. It will be interesting to see whether the new government continues with these policies or replaces them with new ones. At face value, the drive to deport undocumented migrant workers would remove the need for the voluntary foreigner card scheme, as most legitimate migrant workers can register with the (separate) social security scheme. Some TVF members reported that they had managed to purchase coverage under this voluntary card scheme, but I think they can certainly kiss that goodbye now.

Edited by citizen33

A good friend of my wife employs many Burmese workers. We quite often have a friendly chat with some of them and today I mentioned this idea of villages for migrant workers. They actually disliked the idea for a couple of possible reasons. Didn't like the thought of being told where to live or pressured into an area when at the moment they have freedom of choice.

I agree that if existing laws were enforced then most of the worst exploitation would disappear.

Phil Robertson @Reaproy 43s

#Thailand all by itself in defending forced labor - #ILO says that #Bangkok only country to vote against new protocol

See Bangkok Post "Thailand snubs forced labour pact" for story. The Thai junta is the only govt in the world who voted against. Not the most promising start if you were expecting sincerity on these issues.

I am not sure you are correct on that.

Well I got it directly from the story and Phil Robertson of Human Rights Watch tweeted the above. But if you have evidence to the contrary...

https://news.yahoo.com/pact-halt-forced-labor-snubbed-thailand-gulf-ilo-165246308.html

confirmed, Thailand was the ONLY nation to vote against. this was a vote today on day one of meetings with the UN.

The new treaty, a protocol to the ILO's Forced Labour Convention of 1930, aims to halt the practice by requiring countries ratifying it to identify and release victims, ensure them access to compensation and punish perpetrators, it said.

"It is a strong indication of the global community's commitment to work toward the effective elimination of forced labour," David Garner, president of the annual International Labour Conference's committee on forced labour, told a briefing.

Thailand's new military government was the only government to vote against the treaty at ILO's annual ministerial conference, ILO officials said

Thailands opinion on forced labour which includes slavery and trafficking could not be clearer and should be seen as what it is...

Migrant "villages" and segregation is tantamount to nothing more than establishing labour camps.

Cant pass the blame this time.so hows the old halo sitting for the usual apologists now ?

Edited by englishoak

Auschwitz, springs to mind.whistling.gif

Really?

Take a break from TV and your candy crush/farmville games (or whatever it is called) on your facebook and check up Auschwitz online.

Just read a few pages, and you might realize it is not exactly the same.