Genetically modified mosquitoes against malaria

webfact

Genetically modified mosquitoes against malaria

LONDON: -- Scientists from Imperial College London have found a way to control malaria. The researchers suggest to increase the number of male genetically modified mosquitoes.

The number of infectious stings will be reduced, as only females bite. In addition, according to experts, in some time the population will be significantly reduced due to the lack of females

Scientists have found a way to genetically modify mosquitoes and reduce the number of their population. Thus, the researchers hope to combat malaria. But skeptics remind of the dangers associated with a change in the ecosystem, says the English site of RT.

The technique, elaborated by the scientists of Imperial College in London, presupposes that 95% of born mosquitoes will be male. Thus, after six generations the insect population will decline sharply due to the disappearance of females.

Full story: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_06_12/Genetically-modified-mosquitoes-against-malaria-6573/

vor.jpg
-- Voice of Russia 2014-06-12

'But skeptics remind of the dangers associated with a change in the ecosystem, says the English site of RT.'

Who gives a damn about ecosystems, when malaria kills more than 2 million a year..... mostly children.

Bloody tree huggers.... I have had malaria 5 times in Africa and it is no joyride. I have also witnessed the deaths of many Africans (again mostly children)... Let these eco do-gooders have a debate with people who have to suffer these losses and see what they make of it.

Personally, the eradication of all biting insects can only be better for the world and mankind.

Please./.... no bleeding hearts trying to educate me about food chains and eco collapse.... I have heard it all before... many species become extinct every year and the earth has not collapsed yet.

Will also give me relief from the incessant itchiness from their bloody bites.

• Like 2

'But skeptics remind of the dangers associated with a change in the ecosystem, says the English site of RT.'

Who gives a damn about ecosystems, when malaria kills more than 2 million a year..... mostly children.

Bloody tree huggers.... I have had malaria 5 times in Africa and it is no joyride. I have also witnessed the deaths of many Africans (again mostly children)... Let these eco do-gooders have a debate with people who have to suffer these losses and see what they make of it.

Personally, the eradication of all biting insects can only be better for the world and mankind.

Please./.... no bleeding hearts trying to educate me about food chains and eco collapse.... I have heard it all before... many species become extinct every year and the earth has not collapsed yet.

Will also give me relief from the incessant itchiness from their bloody bites.

Extinct these little f**kers. They are of no importance in the ecosystem and only exist to cause discomfort and disease

Bloody tree huggers....

When damage to ecosystems kills more than 2 million a year you might wake up and start giving a damn! What happened to rational, logical, decision making!

- Peace, love, and tree hugs x

This would only affect the species that was targeted, not other mosquitoes, so I don't think it would affect ecosystems. If they could make the mosquito immune to malaria it would be better..

• Like 1

I worry about the unforeseen consequences and I believe it must be very complex to model the impacts. I would like to see exactly what is done to "test" and determine the safety of introducing a genetic varient into an environment.

if we consider non GM foreign species introductions and the impacts on native environments that has had then we have even more cause for concern.

Cane Toads and rabbits are just a couple introduced into Australia which created many problems for native flora and fauna.

I'm just an average bystander in this and don't have any specific knowledge or qualifications on the subject/s but how can we be assured these GM plant, animal and insect options are safe? They are at least being touted more and more and look like becoming more widespread as an option; probably already are.

This would only affect the species that was targeted, not other mosquitoes, so I don't think it would affect ecosystems. If they could make the mosquito immune to malaria it would be better..

Unfortunately your first statement is incorrect.

Organisms of the same species can interbreed with each other. Although breeding compatibility is a definition of a species, these boundaries are not absolutely strict. This is made obvious by the multitude of hybrids that exist between different species (interspecific hybrids). In plant breeding and in agriculture, the ability of plants to breed between and among species allows for the movement of genes among crops and between crops and wild relatives.

When you start introducing modified genetic material into the wild, it will spread.

As for your second one, mosquitoes are immune to malaria, they simply transmit the parasite around. It happily lives in them and migrates from their gut to their salivary glands.

Now, if you could persuade mosquitoes to stop drinking blood.....

Added: Some light reading

Edited by Chicog

I'm definitely in the exterminate yung camp. Until there is empirical proof that the extinction would harm the eco-system, which there isn't, and no-one on this site is qualified to say otherwise, I say give it a whirl in a test site - which could be a country.

Fact is, malaria, dengue, etc. kills humans, mostly young children. You might make a case that humans should be eradicated first, but you'll have to wait for the robot invasion...

There is potential damage to the ecosystem. There is also no shortage of people.

Perhaps they should continue looking for a cure or treatment for these diseases.

It is very dangerous to eliminate everything that might endanger people. The planet is more than just people.

But will the larvae of genetically modified mosquitoes be safe for fish to eat?

The Tree Hugger.

Of course not; and that's the point of being guarded about manipulating a system that's taken millions of years to develop. I'm no tree hugger. In fact, I consider Mosquitos a threat to life! But the point remains, what are the unintended consequences?

It's quite true that none of the wheat consumed in the world today has ever existed in the human food chain. Problem: we evolved to process those specific amino acids and now in one generation were introduced to effectively a foreign body. There are issues associated. See Wheat Belly. Likewise, introducing genetic or hybrid products into the animal and insect world MAY have adverse consequences. Technology, while desperate to employ for good, must be measured in its approaches. The questions must be asked.

I'm definitely in the exterminate yung camp. Until there is empirical proof that the extinction would harm the eco-system, which there isn't, and no-one on this site is qualified to say otherwise, I say give it a whirl in a test site - which could be a country.

Fact is, malaria, dengue, etc. kills humans, mostly young children. You might make a case that humans should be eradicated first, but you'll have to wait for the robot invasion...

It's somewhat difficult to show empirical proof of something that hasn't happened.

However, there is empirical proof of what happens if you deliberately attempt to alter population balances. Cane Toads, antibiotic-resistant Bovine TB, Jellyfish Blooms, Colorado Beetle all spring to mind.

Mosquitoes are the most lethal animal in the world. As for the impact on the food web...

Ecology: A world without mosquitoes:

There are 3,500 named species of mosquito, of which only a couple of hundred bite or bother humans. They live on almost every continent and habitat, and serve important functions in numerous ecosystems. "Mosquitoes have been on Earth for more than 100 million years," says Murphy, "and they have co-evolved with so many species along the way." Wiping out a species of mosquito could leave a predator without prey, or a plant without a pollinator.

[snip]

Yet in many cases, scientists acknowledge that the ecological scar left by a missing mosquito would heal quickly as the niche was filled by other organisms. Life would continue as before — or even better. When it comes to the major disease vectors, "it's difficult to see what the downside would be to removal, except for collateral damage", says insect ecologist Steven Juliano, of Illinois State University in Normal.

Sounds like a great theme for a novel by the late, wonderful, and much regretted genius Michael Crichton. I bet he would have spun a major thriller with the opening scene somewhere in the jungle at the Thai/Cambodian border... an obscure team of scientists is releasing the genetically modified larvae and everybody thinks it's a great idea, until ...

Gee, and I thought mosquitos were organizing and preparing to protest against malaria. I thought their organization was called GMMAM..

Thread title: "Genetically modified mosquitoes against malaria."

tongue.pngtongue.png

Your quicker to the draw than me...thats just what I thought.

Some kind of parade banner like the one they popularized in the 70's...Mosquitoes Against DDT.

Edited by ClutchClark

Yes. for example, the extinction of the T-Rex has had bad consequences on the ecosystem, which is in dire need of that family of animals...

The smaller predators do not seem to do as good a job at cleaning the human genetic pool....

in my opinion

Humans are the biggest problem in the balance of nature

And mine. The world is overpopulated already. Who are we to do this!

Although we have the ability to protect the earth and everything that lives on it more so than any time in our history (apparently), we also present the biggest threat and are a mess.

I'm no tree hugger and am also guilty of wishing mossies were eradicated. But you start messing with species and it could have a knock-on effect. They should be left alone, it is the disease that is the issue.