non payment of taxes since coup

jmdf103

a friend of mine recently had to pay 37,000 baht tax for her thai massage shop in chiang mai, which is a helluva lot for her.

it got me wondering. Since the government that the people elected has been removed by force by the army, then who exactly is she paying?

Where i am from in the uk, each year in april the people collectively pay their contribution to finance the policies and projects that they elected for.

Put yourselves in my poor thai friend's shoes, i feel sorry that she has to pay this money. It seem to me that people would be well within their moral rights to withhold this money until a new government can be elected to which they can pay their taxes to.

any thoughts?

First off let me just say....I do not own a business, so much of what is about to be said is conjecture! You asked for "any" thoughts....and well...

Disclaimer being said ...."Massage Shop" and business "Tax"....well I'm not aware of any "Tax" other than the local bribes paid to police to stay in business and income tax . So if she (assuming your friend is a "she") were to with hold payments she would be out of business.

Stand open to correction regarding "business tax" wub.png

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 1

Taxes are not paid to the politicians you elected. Taxes are paid to the state to run the country. Tax laws are still in place, nobody invalidated them. Police, government hospitals, public transport etc etc is still working and ongoing.

First off let me just say....I do not own a business, so much of what is about to be said is conjecture! You asked for "any" thoughts....and well...

Disclaimer being said ...."Massage Shop" and business "Tax"....well I'm not aware of any "Tax" other than the local bribes paid to police to stay in business and income tax . So if she (assuming your friend is a "she") were to with hold payments she would be out of business.

well, please stand corrected:

A very good friend of mine (a lady) has registered her massage business (5 shops in Pattaya) as company and is paying taxes for that. Just two advantages:

• She is using those tax records specially to avoid being blackmailed by anybody, since she can prove the legitimacy of her shops.
  • She is also using these documents as "prove of income and willingness to return" anytime she applies for a Schengen Visa for her holidays. Works perfect for her, no need for invitation letter.

A very good friend of mine (a lady) has registered her massage business (5 shops in Pattaya) as company and is paying taxes for that. Just two advantages:

• She is using those tax records specially to avoid being blackmailed by anybody, since she can prove the legitimacy of her shops.
  • She is also using these documents as "prove of income and willingness to return" anytime she applies for a Schengen Visa for her holidays. Works perfect for her, no need for invitation letter.

Have no problem being corrected....BUT for my own knowledge. Is the tax your friend pays an "Income Tax"? or a "business tax" (ie a tax on the business whether it makes money or not.....just for being in business)? And if it is a "business Tax" ....is the tax based on the value of the business ....so that the likes of Nissan, Ford, Tesco, etc. pay outrageous taxes just to do business in Thailand?

Just Curious???wai.gif

Have no problem being corrected....BUT for my own knowledge. Is the tax your friend pays an "Income Tax"? or a "business tax" (ie a tax on the business whether it makes money or not.....just for being in business)? And if it is a "business Tax" ....is the tax based on the value of the business ....so that the likes of Nissan, Ford, Tesco, etc. pay outrageous taxes just to do business in Thailand?

Just Curious???wai.gif

Will ask her when i see her next week and post, if she allows me to

Sent from my HTC One XL using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1