Thailand still very low in English language skills

webfact

Students get passes and qualifications they didn't earn or don't deserve and the country gets landed with all these ' qualified ' people.

Don't suppose you have anything to back up this allegation and myth that you're promulgating.

How about the testimony of dozens of teachers who are members here?

I can add to it the testimony of my wife who is a teacher, and the testimony of her Farang colleagues that I know.

I fully believe it.

• Like 2

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- The first problem is learning English is seen as very unimportant to most Thais. It occupies very few neurons here in Thailand.

- Second problem is the fear of learning. The tradition to learn your family traditions and Buddhism is on top of the list. The importance of education in school is far lower on the same list. Sending their kids to become monks for several months instead of going to school is highly celebrated and awarded.

- Third problem is the quality of the content. Both the teachers and the books are terrible.

- Fourth problem is the taboo to criticize, or even wanting to criticize. A massive problem in Thailand in general. This is not just killing tens of thousands each year, if not hundreds of thousands, but it`s a serious development stopper, a communication stopper, even at the highest level at the government.

I sent my niece to a private school, and it took her only one day to learn more English than she had done over the last 6 years. No joke. She was so happy, came running and asked me several questions in English. Very cute.

Thai people needs to wake up, seriously.

• Like 1

The key to learning a language is in actually using the language. Thais in general get very little exposure or chance to use the language.

Bingo brother, they can go to school, to learn English at a local school, yet when they go home? What dialect do they talk? Immersing them in an English only society, or at least the environment.. One would be amazed how fast they learn... Sent my wife to college here to learn it in the USA... But as we know when Thai's get together, normally they will speak in their own tongue... Just a thought....

What really bugs me is this phrase : 'Apitha called on Thai students to urgently improve their English language skills.'

If a majority of Thai kids suffered from some genetic disease, would K. Apitha also advise them to 'urgently improve their health condition' ?

As mentioned in several replies, there are a number of causes to this problem (cultural, political, economical, logistical) and perhaps addressing these causes would be the right (and only) way to solve it. Is that at all possible, though ?

I was not born in France but I grew up there and witnessed a quite similar situation. Barring the economical ones, even the causes were similar. However, globalization (which, let's face it, is mostly a euphemism for Americanization), extensive traveling, and the Internet have helped the younger generation to considerably improve their command of English.

The same thing is likely to happen in Thailand. Let's not forget, though, that with China's global position rising drastically and at lightning speed, Thai kids may quickly find themselves in more urgent need of Chinese than English. Within Asia (and especially ASEAN) the position of China has already superseded that of the US, which introduces a whole new perspective.

The key to learning a language is in actually using the language. Thais in general get very little exposure or chance to use the language.

Bingo brother, they can go to school, to learn English at a local school, yet when they go home? What dialect do they talk? Immersing them in an English only society, or at least the environment.. One would be amazed how fast they learn... Sent my wife to college here to learn it in the USA... But as we know when Thai's get together, normally they will speak in their own tongue... Just a thought....

The blatant arrogance of your post is mind-boggling,Sir.

Not least for the fact that you obviously don't even realize how arrogant it is...

Calling their languages 'dialects' ? being surprised because Thais speak Thai together instead of English ? Oh... my Buddha...

Edited by Yann55

there is exposure all around them from products in shops /tv /internet...road signs all these little things can help..maybe they are to shy or just to lazy.do any of us know unless were thai.

• Like 1

The powers that be, could do a lot worse than read the comments on here for starters, and learn a thing or two where it's going wrong.

My thoughts:

1. Government schools - class sizes: You can not get 50 rowdy students to focus and be interactive in a 50 minute speaking and listening lesson. No time to do constructive pair work, control the class or anything. Waste of time. It's a zoo.

2. Government schools - the politics: You often hear that many Thai heads have their way of working, teaching and aren't open to other, western methods. They should be open to other methods.

3. Government schools - the requirements: Having a degree in "anything" to get a work permit to teach English, does not make any sense whatsoever. Would you let someone with a degree in logistics, become a Doctor? Of course not, makes no sense. A better method, will be a teaching qualification (CELTA, DELTA, TEFL) plus a live demo and experience. As for the Education Degree, in a perfect world, yes, but let's face it, for the wages, people that qualified will move onto far better paid jobs and working conditions.

4. Government schools - over-teaching of Grammar: You speak to a 15 year old Thai kid from a Government school, his Grammar will be ok, but can not speak fluently, has bad pronunciation and no confidence in speaking. Speak to a 15 year old kid from an international school, they wouldn't know their past simples from their future going tos, grammar-wise; however, they will speak with confidence, fluently, good pronunciation with correct stress and intonation. Grammar is important, but unless kids use it in a way that they enjoy and see a benefit from it, they will hate anything to do with learning English.

5. Government schools - exams and culture: There's far too many English exams with too many errors (laughable ones) and wording that would never be used naturally in English or answer choices that have more than one correct answer as they don't understand that natural conversation may not strictly follow concrete rules grammatically. Also, as others have mentioned here is the amount of cheating that goes on. The worst can be the spoilt kids, who get a huge wake up call when they get sent by the parents to study abroad or go for an IELTS or something and realise they can't string a sentence together, after cheating and playing with their iPhone all through English classes.

6. All schools - looks and image: I was walking past a language school in Bangkok last year and on the front window was a big poster of a funny looking Thai cross-dresser looking half undressed advertising English lessons. I've been in schools, where the owners and reception would look at the resumes for farang teachers and pinpoint ones to interview by their looks, youth and not their qualifications "oh he looks handsome!", "Yes, but he's only been in Thailand 2 weeks, hasn't ever taught, he's a backpacker and uses text speak in his resume. No thanks!". Thailand needs to get over this. It's about quality teaching, not image or looks.

7. Culture: Students are too reserved here, shy, embarrassed to give an opinion or express themselves. Very frustrating that many Thais are scared to show their opinion on things, will really help them for further education, IELTS etc. Have debates, talk about politics, talk about animal rights, show your feelings, anything, will help yourself express yourself in English. Hence why probably bar girls and farang hungry girls have better grasp of English than most as they are less worried about making a mistake and how they are viewed.

Edited by Hawkman

Thais generally want to learn but many lack the motivation or time…MSG loaded food does not help also

So you're implying the MSG content of the food in Thailand is that substantially different to Malaysia Philippines Indonesia Myanmar and Vietnam? blink.png

During my sojourn at a rural university an Australian colleague showed me an essay assignment from a student that had been copied verbatim from a text book and that included references to points that would be discussed in Chapter 3, 6 and so on.

The student concerned had simple copied every word without bothering to exercise care over what he was writing.

Quite believable! However, I must make the observation that it's not all like I observed. 100% of the papers I receive from King Monkut's University, especially the scientific ones, are genuine hard work, original and quite unique and way ahead in latest scientific developments. The same can't be said for Chulalongkorn, however!!

Years back the other newspaper carried a report about privilege etc in education and it was suggested that around 25 % of students at Chula hadn't earned their place. i have no idea how the figure was arrived at but can well believe it.

I write/re-write a fair deal of the SOPs and application letters on behalf of Chula grads applying for Master's in the UK and USA. The majority (over 60%) all highlight the fact that the family owns a very large business, and wants to expand globally. I guess that would explain it quite clearly. You buy into Chula, in the majority of cases!

Apitha called on Thai students to urgently improve their English language skills.

Taught by Thai English and other Asian teachers with a poor command, spoken and written. I've taught too many grade six kids, who were better than their teachers. Upps.

He said the main reasons for the low score included the emphasis on translating English, students lacking clear objectives, a fixed teaching pattern and a fear of failure among students. As a result, he said the academy had introduced the "TOEFL X-CHANGE" tablet, which had eight language-learning applications to allow children to practice English anytime, anywhere

What? Translating English to Tinglish and vice versa, but using Tinglish as the command language doesn't help, guys.Yes, students lacking clear objectives,as their teachers do.

A fear of failure, you gotta be kidding me. TOEFL X exchange tablet sounds similar to World Class Standard High Speed Trains, and other nonsense.

Totally Outdated English Failure Language X CHANGE

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

- The first problem is learning English is seen as very unimportant to most Thais. It occupies very few neurons here in Thailand.

- Second problem is the fear of learning. The tradition to learn your family traditions and Buddhism is on top of the list. The importance of education in school is far lower on the same list. Sending their kids to become monks for several months instead of going to school is highly celebrated and awarded.

- Third problem is the quality of the content. Both the teachers and the books are terrible.

- Fourth problem is the taboo to criticize, or even wanting to criticize. A massive problem in Thailand in general. This is not just killing tens of thousands each year, if not hundreds of thousands, but it`s a serious development stopper, a communication stopper, even at the highest level at the government.

I sent my niece to a private school, and it took her only one day to learn more English than she had done over the last 6 years. No joke. She was so happy, came running and asked me several questions in English. Very cute.

Thai people needs to wake up, seriously.

" Third problem is the quality of the content. Both the teachers and the books are terrible."

That is certainly not a valid excuse any more.blink.png

We are no longer in the days when you have to rely solely on the printed word in a book or even a teacher. These days there is a wealth of free resources available on the Internet, including youtube where free audio and visual resources should be an incredible boost to learning which can then be supplemented by watching BBC world News etc

No, the primary reason for poor English skills is an aversion to anything foreign. There is a political and cultural fear that English language skills would wash away Thainess. When the government creates an atmosphere of English language immersion this will be eliminated. But, this is Thailand, and that will never happen.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well, you certainly got that one right!

I've been in the TEFL business for years and this is my conclusion too. I thought I was the only one with this take in mind...

Edited by Gil
  • Like 1

I don't think Thais really consider English an important language in the big picture. The Thai Consulate General in Sydney says Thais in Australia should be learning Thai in Aussie schools.

Yeah, i read that as well, that is a totally W..T...F... attitude isn't.

I have Dutch children in my class and their parents have told me they are required to have Dutch language lessons, I'm not sure if this is a legal requirement or something they must do if they wish to re enter the Dutch schooling system at a later date. They go at least twice a week during school hours and probably more outside of school.

Edited by Bluespunk

The blatant arrogance of your post is mind-boggling,Sir.

Not least for the fact that you obviously don't even realize how arrogant it is...

Calling their languages 'dialects' ? being surprised because Thais speak Thai together instead of English ? Oh... my Buddha...

Dialect, that's what it is!

My Parents used to inspire me every day before I went to school, but I'm not sure Thai's would understand this :

Dunt thee bi late fot skoyle agean thee. I teld thee to wesh thi face an’ all tha’s done is gi’ it a lick. Get thi sen off na n tha betta be luirn to speek reit thee if tha wants to mek owt o this sen !

Not sure it worked out anyway !

• Like 1

No, the primary reason for poor English skills is an aversion to anything foreign. There is a political and cultural fear that English language skills would wash away Thainess. When the government creates an atmosphere of English language immersion this will be eliminated. But, this is Thailand, and that will never happen.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well, you certainly got that one right!

I've been in the TEFL business for years and this is my conclusion too. I thought I was the only one with this take in mind...

This apparently does not apply to Korean? You do know there are Thai ladies who take Korean lessons to watch Korean TV shows in Thailand?

One of the negatives ,i suppose of never been colonized by Britain,

and they would have had an extensive and working rail system,also

maybe a better system of law.

regards Worgeordie

Thailands first interest in railways dates back to King Rama IV when he was given a model railway by Queen Victoria. Be proud :-)

if you think you are the best in the world and you do not need to learn another language ...

happens in : USA , France, UK (thanks to the immigrants that bring their african & arab language with them 555)

and offcourse here in THAILAND ... where they actually teach English in school, but the quality is so low it is unusable, specially if they teacher cannot speak descent

• Like 1

One of the negatives ,i suppose of never been colonized by Britain,

and they would have had an extensive and working rail system,also

maybe a better system of law.

regards Worgeordie

Vietnam was not colonised by Britain either, they seem to have the gist of the English Language etc...

Vietnam was colonised by a European country though - France. Similar culture - European anyway (up to a point) and morality etc.

There is a background of speaking another foreign language - French - which the Thais have never been exposed to.

The Vietnam world view will also have been enhanced by exposure to another culture and language and so they will have a broader, less insular, outlook.

Thais are never going to improve their business English language skills learning one or two hours a week from Thai teachers who themselves can't speak the language. They would be better making ALL schools EP schools and teaching English through all the lessons save Thai Language and Thai Culture. Thais will obviously speak Thai between each other the rest of the time - as they should for it is their language after all - but to keep up with the rest of the world they need English skills and Chinese also. These skills would prove of immense value to the majority of Thais.

I can understand people who feel rural schools do not need to teach English so much but educate is away of giving a child opportunity and my belief is that each child should have the same minimum opportunity given to them and for that reasoning think it should be a nationwide program.

Thais do have this xenophobia that all things foreign is bad - and many things are bad let's face it - but they can still take the benefits and filter out the disbenefits if they stop being so inward looking.

Get rid of the stupid TCT Qualification requirement and the need for native English speakers to have a degree would be a start. Even an A Level requirement could be done away with the implementation of an English competence test... that + a TEFL certificate would be more than sufficient. The TCT Qualification requirement means that experienced and dedicated teachers are leaving. Get rid of the incomprehensible Africans as well - how they can be classed as ‘native teachers’ with their ‘pigeon English’ I don’t know. Come up with a curriculum, having the native teachers come up with their own each year means that when they leave (virtually a new teacher each year) they teach the same as previous teachers albeit in a different way so there is no progression.

• Like 1

Thais are never going to improve their business English language skills learning one or two hours a week from Thai teachers who themselves can't speak the language. They would be better making ALL schools EP schools and teaching English through all the lessons save Thai Language and Thai Culture. Thais will obviously speak Thai between each other the rest of the time - as they should for it is their language after all - but to keep up with the rest of the world they need English skills and Chinese also. These skills would prove of immense value to the majority of Thais.

I can understand people who feel rural schools do not need to teach English so much but educate is away of giving a child opportunity and my belief is that each child should have the same minimum opportunity given to them and for that reasoning think it should be a nationwide program.

Thais do have this xenophobia that all things foreign is bad - and many things are bad let's face it - but they can still take the benefits and filter out the disbenefits if they stop being so inward looking.

1. You wrote, "These skills would prove of immense value to the majority of Thais." The majority of Thais do manual labor in agriculture or in a factory and have no need of English skills.

2. Thais do have this xenophobia that all things foreign is bad. Football? Korean TV programs? Japanese food? Western rock and roll. Get real here.

• Like 1

Dunt thee bi late fot skoyle agean thee. I teld thee to wesh thi face an’ all tha’s done is gi’ it a lick. Get thi sen off na n tha betta be luirn to speek reit thee if tha wants to mek owt o this sen !

Being a former student of Leigh Mining Institute I'm proud to say I understood every word ...

Which is more than I can say for my 'conversation' with a recently retired Thai English teacher which took place a few years ago. It took about 15 minutes for me to understand what he was actually saying .... as has been said earlier, his grammar was probably impeccable, but the pronunciations were off the wall. If that's typical then its no wonder the schoolkids can't or won't try to talk to us foreigners.

Things are improving, the young children in my extended family in Chaiyaphum now speak good English because their school has a foreign English teacher. It's not a government school though ...

There is a young woman who just finished 5 years at a Thai college/university to become a "real teacher." She can not speak English. I asked my wife what was her major and what kind of job is she looking for. The answer was," she's an English teacher. You can imagine my shock knowing when I've attempted to interact with her she could not speak even on sentence in English. But she received her degree and found a job "teaching" near Bangkok.