Dual citizenship staying 60 days with only 30 days visa on arrival

I just bougth a last minute ticket for my daughter to Thailand and she will be staying 58 days.

As there is not time to apply for a 60 days tourist visa before she goes to Thailand tomorrow I have some questions to find the best and easiest solution to this.

She is 17 years old and was born in Thailand and have dual citizenship, both Thai and Swedish. But her Thai passport has expired so she have to enter Thailand on her Swedish passport and get the visa on arrival 30 days.

If she would only have Swedish citizenship, what I read on the Internet she only can extend the visa 7 days for 1900 bath. Or do a visa run to Laos to get 15 days, with means that she would have to do this 2 times. And flying alone out of Thailand to Vietnamn etc for a day to get antoher 30 days is not really a viable solution for her.

But she is also Thai citizen. What other possibilites do she have because of this?

Has she same legal right / way to extend the visa for 30 days in Thailand?

A Thai can travel to and enter Thailand with an expired passport.

If she is registered in a house book she can get a new passport here that she would need to leave Thailand after entering on her expired passport.

If both parents are not going to be here she would need consent letters from you both or for the absent parent to get her passport. See here for info. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21479-Requirements-for-the-Ordinary-e-Passports-Applicat.html

Ok, did not think of that.

I'm just affraid that would cause some larger bureaucratic work at the airport? Her thai language skills is somewhat low and in a situation like that she would not understand very much if she would need to "prove" her citizenship etc.

And entering on the Thai passport also causes some side effects later. She have a different name in the Thai passport than in the Swedish passport. The ticket is written on the Swedish name, meaning that on her return flight home, she have to checkin using the swedish passport for the correct name. The airline also wants a valid EU passport or visa to enter EU schengen area. She then need to switch to "new" thai passport on the immigration passport checkpoint. She cannot show the Swedish passport as she never entered Thailand using it. This double passport thing I know some people do, I also know some people that got stuck in the airport missing the flight because of some bureaucrat with a bad mood is pointing out that it is not okey travalling on dual passports.

I just found out that it is possible for Thai citizens to extend the visa in Thailand up to 1 year. This is done at some immigration office that you belong based on where you live in thailand?

easiest,

have her enter on her Swedish passport gets 30 days

as soon as she can go apply for her new Thai passport takes at most 1 week and waits till she gets Thai passport

depart after 29 days on the Swedish and reenter ( fly in or overland) on the thai passport

head back home on the thai passport

AT check in to fly home she shows both passports

at immigration she ONLY shows thai passport

A Thai can travel to and enter Thailand with an expired passport.

If she is registered in a house book she can get a new passport here that she would need to leave Thailand after entering on her expired passport.

If both parents are not going to be here she would need consent letters from you both or for the absent parent to get her passport. See here for info. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21479-Requirements-for-the-Ordinary-e-Passports-Applicat.html

I saw you added some document reference... thanks.

The consent letter I didn't know about regarding children between 15 - 20. That is a bummer. With notarized document I assume would be needed to be done in Thailand? Or can such a document be notarized outside Thailand by a notary public?

She would not have any problem entering on her Thai passport.

I don't fully understand why she has two names. Is it a different transliteration of her Thai name?

If shows both passport on check in she should not have a problem. Then you put her Thai passport away until she arrives in here an then just shows her Thai passport, Then on departure she shows both passports at check in and her Thai passport at departure immigration, Then only her Swedish passport on entry there.

If she enter on her Swedish passport she could get a one year extension at immigration as a returning Thai national. She would just need to prove she is Thai.

"A Thai can travel to and enter Thailand with an expired passport."

"If she is registered in a house book she can get a new passport here that she would need to leave Thailand after entering on her expired passport."

An important part of that post is that if she isn't on a house book in Thailand, probably better to come on the Swedish passport.

If she enters on an expired Thai pp, and for whatever reason can't get a new Thai pp, she won't be able to leave until she does get one. They won't let her leave on the Swedish pp unless she enters on it.

"my way is easiest if youur ex is here in Thailand"

Not really. Easier just to get a one year extension and not have to worry about flying out to switch passports. 1900 baht and she's set until she leaves.

• Like 1

I don't fully understand why she has two names. Is it a different transliteration of her Thai name?

If shows both passport on check in she should not have a problem. Then you put her Thai passport away until she arrives in here an then just shows her Thai passport, Then on departure she shows both passports at check in and her Thai passport at departure immigration, Then only her Swedish passport on entry there.

If she enter on her Swedish passport she could get a one year extension at immigration as a returning Thai national. She would just need to prove she is Thai.

"If she is registered in a house book she can get a new passport here that she would need to leave Thailand after entering on her expired passport."

An important part of that post is that if she isn't on a house book in Thailand, probably better to come on the Swedish passport.

If she enters on an expired Thai pp, and for whatever reason can't get a new Thai pp, she won't be able to leave until she does get one. They won't let her leave on the Swedish pp unless she enters on it.

Not really. Easier just to get a one year extension and not have to worry about flying out to switch passports. 1900 baht and she's set until she leaves.

First, thank you all for the help!

She have my surname in the Swedish passport and her mothers Thai surname in the Thai passport. We never got the possibility to change her legal surname i Thailand.

This requirement for a signed noterized document from her mother (only legal guardian) is a roadblock, I'm only stepfather. And her mother is living in the USA at the moment...

I'm afraid that having the correct documentation solved and sent from her mother within a week to have time to apply for a Thai passport would be very unlikely.

She is registered in the house book, she was born there and lived there the two years, and we have not unregistered her or something like that.

I'm leaning on that the best way is simply to travel on the swedish passport and then she in Thailand apply for a thai ID card, something I assume she can do her self without parents approval etc. Then her relatives can help her go to the immigration office and apply a visa extension.

To prove her citizenship, what is required? Is a valid thai ID card enough or do you need house book registration, birth certificates

and other documentation?

I also need to found what immigration office she belongs to. She is registered in a house book in the Nong bua daeng district, Chaiyaphum.

But I cannot find somewhere on http://www.immigration.go.th what offices belongs to what areas.

EDIT: To answer my own question... I assume it must be the Khon Kaen immigration office that is responsible for that area.

At least this is what I understand of the information here: http://61.19.251.247/~mvxnqkh123/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=130〈=en

Edited by svolter

The passport application would be done here after she enters on her expired passport.

Her expired passport would be enough to prove Thai nationality.for the extension but having her house book and ID card would be good additional proof.

Khoen Khaen is the immigration office for Chaiyaphum. More info on this map: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=214923170432669428134.000465f03d84d91df360b&t=h&z=6&dg=feature

First, thank you all for the help!

She have my surname in the Swedish passport and her mothers Thai surname in the Thai passport. We never got the possibility to change her legal surname i Thailand.

This requirement for a signed noterized document from her mother (only legal guardian) is a roadblock, I'm only stepfather. And her mother is living in the USA at the moment...

I'm afraid that having the correct documentation solved and sent from her mother within a week to have time to apply for a Thai passport would be very unlikely.

She is registered in the house book, she was born there and lived there the two years, and we have not unregistered her or something like that.

I'm leaning on that the best way is simply to travel on the swedish passport and then she in Thailand apply for a thai ID card, something I assume she can do her self without parents approval etc. Then her relatives can help her go to the immigration office and apply a visa extension.

To prove her citizenship, what is required? Is a valid thai ID card enough or do you need house book registration, birth certificates

and other documentation?

I also need to found what immigration office she belongs to. She is registered in a house book in the Nong bua daeng district, Chaiyaphum.

But I cannot find somewhere on http://www.immigration.go.th what offices belongs to what areas.

EDIT: To answer my own question... I assume it must be the Khon Kaen immigration office that is responsible for that area.

At least this is what I understand of the information here: http://61.19.251.247/~mvxnqkh123/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=130〈=en

There is no problem traveling with two passports. It is not a 'trick,' it is her right.

If she enters Thailand on the Swedish passport and leaves on the Thai one the Thais will think she is still there on overstay. Bad.

It's not that hard, just carry both passports.

if it is legal for her to enter on a Swedish passport then she should do it and apply for Thai passport while here and when she gets it she might be able to just go to immigration to cancel the visa on her swedish passport now that she has the Thai one, probably without border run, which sounds like a stupid idea for a Thai citizen

I mention if legal because not all countries will let you enter with a visa on a foreign passport if you have a local one, ie Australia mentions that if you are a dual citizen, it is illegal to request a visa on another passport to enter australia, however they will happily welcome you on an expired passport and we know as we did it. The only issue was to persuade the staff at Suvarnabumi to let us board without valid passport.

if it is legal for her to enter on a Swedish passport then she should do it and apply for Thai passport while here and when she gets it she might be able to just go to immigration to cancel the visa on her swedish passport now that she has the Thai one, probably without border run, which sounds like a stupid idea for a Thai citizen

I mention if legal because not all countries will let you enter with a visa on a foreign passport if you have a local one, ie Australia mentions that if you are a dual citizen, it is illegal to request a visa on another passport to enter australia, however they will happily welcome you on an expired passport and we know as we did it. The only issue was to persuade the staff at Suvarnabumi to let us board without valid passport.

Terrible advice. Like everyone who gave similar advice, yours is really, really bad.

A Thai citizen should enter Thailand and leave Thailand on his/her Thai passport. Period. There is NO reason at all for the girl of the OP to do anything else.

As usual, the person giving straight, legal, document-backed advice is ubonjoe. The OP would actually be UNwise not to follow it.

Terrible advice. Like everyone who gave similar advice, yours is really, really bad.

A Thai citizen should enter Thailand and leave Thailand on his/her Thai passport. Period. There is NO reason at all for the girl of the OP to do anything else.

As usual, the person giving straight, legal, document-backed advice is ubonjoe. The OP would actually be UNwise not to follow it.

Agreed. A lot of terrible advice here (beside Ubonjoe's advice). But entering on an expired Thai passport isn't the best advice either (in her case). I would recommend against entering on the Thai passport, even if possible. If you can't renew it for any reason, she will be stuck in Thailand until she gets a new passport. You can try getting a new Thai passport for her while in Thailand if you want. But she will have to leave the country anyway if she wants to switch passports. There is no such things as "canceling a visa" (unless things have changed recently). My Thai aunt entered on a foreign passport and was told by the immigration she had to leave en re-enter on her Thai passport if she wanted to switch them.

She should enter on her Swedish passport and get a 1 year extention of stay based on Thai nationality. Her passport should be enough to prove her citizenship. Although I don't know if her two different surnames will be a problem. Do either that or leave the country and get another 30 days, 15 if she enters by land. I think the latter is much less bureaucratic.

Edited by Michael S

if she enters on expired thai passport she needs leaves on NEW Thai passport,

As you can not get the notarized signatures for new application she cant get a Thai passport

Best bet; enter on Swedish, apply for the one year extension.

Getting an id card is easy if she is on a house book

Your lucky she has a Swedish passport

If your daughter entered Thailand with her Swedish passport, and without a proper visa, she would only be granted 30 days visa exempt arrival. Whether she can get an extention of stay at the Immigration, based on being Thai, is another matter for which I don't know but assume highly likely.

Ok, did not think of that.

I'm just affraid that would cause some larger bureaucratic work at the airport? Her thai language skills is somewhat low and in a situation like that she would not understand very much if she would need to "prove" her citizenship etc.

And entering on the Thai passport also causes some side effects later. She have a different name in the Thai passport than in the Swedish passport. The ticket is written on the Swedish name, meaning that on her return flight home, she have to checkin using the swedish passport for the correct name. The airline also wants a valid EU passport or visa to enter EU schengen area. She then need to switch to "new" thai passport on the immigration passport checkpoint. She cannot show the Swedish passport as she never entered Thailand using it. This double passport thing I know some people do, I also know some people that got stuck in the airport missing the flight because of some bureaucrat with a bad mood is pointing out that it is not okey travalling on dual passports.

I just found out that it is possible for Thai citizens to extend the visa in Thailand up to 1 year. This is done at some immigration office that you belong based on where you live in thailand?

If you bring your daughters birth certificate in Thai along with her expired passport and her Thai ID and house registration you can receive one year at the airport upon arrival, however it's not guaranteed but worth a try, have had it done for my son.

If she enters Thailand with expired Thai pp, she would have troubles answering why and how she could travel with expired pp.

The rationale, if you hold Thai pp, you are assumed that you are Thai citizen and only Thai citizen. If you declare yourself that you are a dual citizen, that will be recorded in the systems that this person has a dual citizenship. The complication of this arguably matter is that she would have to choose a nationality some times down the track because technically under Thai law one must choose to be Thai or the other, not both. If she has no intention to be Thai any longer, there would be no problem. But this thing really you will never know what will happen in the future, besides being able to live in both countries without any restirctions is the best.

If she enters Thailand with expired Thai pp, she would have troubles answering why and how she could travel with expired pp.

The rationale, if you hold Thai pp, you are assumed that you are Thai citizen and only Thai citizen. If you declare yourself that you are a dual citizen, that will be recorded in the systems that this person has a dual citizenship. The complication of this arguably matter is that she would have to choose a nationality some times down the track because technically under Thai law one must choose to be Thai or the other, not both. If she has no intention to be Thai any longer, there would be no problem. But this thing really you will never know what will happen in the future, besides being able to live in both countries without any restirctions is the best.

Thais enter regularly on expired passports. There is no problem with doing it at all.

To whom would a person declare their dual nationality?

There is no Thai law that says dual nationality is not allowed nor is it to mandatory to choose.between the two nationalities.

• Like 1

Thais enter regularly on expired passports. There is no problem with doing it at all.

There is no Thai law that says dual nationality is not allowed nor is it to mandatory to choose.between the two nationalities.

I insist that under Thai law you can only have one Thai nationality, no more than that. If you say to the immigration officer that you have another foreign passport that would be enough for them to make a notation into the systems and on your passport. Hence you are implied dual nationality.

It's just a matter of whether or not someone will pick up and persue the matter further. If you're lucky then you can get away with it. I can say this with confidence because I have personal experience.

Edited by Thai-Aust

I insist that under Thai law you can only have one Thai nationality, no more than that. If you say to the immigration officer that you have another foreign passport that would be enough for them to make a notation into the systems and on your passport. Hence you are implied dual nationality.

It's just a matter of whether or not someone will pick up and persue the matter further. If you're lucky then you can get away with it. I can say this with confidence because I have personal experience.

There is no such Thai law. This has been discussed many times on this forum.

Immigration could care less if a Thai has more than one nationality,

• Like 1

There is no such Thai law. This has been discussed many times on this forum.

Immigration could care less if a Thai has more than one nationality,

You can deny and believe what you want to beleive.

I just want to point out the implications that might happen. I'm sure if you ask any Thai who hold more than Thai citizenship they would know what I'm talking about. The law is there for decades, not something new.

As said, I had personal experience on this and just want to warn that it could back fire in the future. It's not worth doing easy thing now but would have to untie the knots later.

That is why when enter and leave Thailand, one should only present Thai passport at the immigration. The exception is you must show 2 passports to the airline to be able to board the flight to another home country to show them that you don't need a visa to enter another country.

Edited by Thai-Aust

You can believe what you want, but there is no provision in the Thai nationality law that does not allow one to have another nationality besides Thai and many Thai nationals have dual nationality, with full knowledge of the Thai government.

There are two reasons people sometimes think it is not allowed:

1. misreading of the article that allows one to choose between nationalities at age 20 (but does not demand it)

2. a difference between the rights of people born with Thai nationality and people applying for Thai nationality through naturalization. For this last group the law states that they can not make use of their other nationality (while in Thailand). As a consequence they must enter Thailand on their Thai passport and in case of problems with the Thai authorities cannot ask for assistance of the embassy of their other nationality.

People born with Thai nationality do not have such restrictions and can freely use what ever passport they choose to enter Thailand.

• Like 2

When she arrives in Thailand go to an immigration office (preferably in a smaller centre) and ask their advice. I have found them to be most helpful. She could apply for her Thai passport once she is in Thailand but ensure she has the old one with her.

I'm sure if you ask any Thai who hold more than Thai citizenship they would know what I'm talking about. The law is there for decades, not something new.

As said, I had personal experience on this and just want to warn that it could back fire in the future. It's not worth doing easy thing now but would have to untie the knots later.

I am "any Thai who hold more than Thai citizenship" (sic) and I don't know what you are talking about. The Thai embassy in my country clearly knows I have another citizenship. I even showed them my other passport as proof of identification for my first Thai passport. You have probably been misinformed, as many people (including some Thai officials) believe that you can't hold dual citizenship.

• Like 2

The only grey area under the nationality act is when a Thai national independently applies for a foreign nationality, or when a Thai citizen, born as a Thai by virtue of being born to two parents who have permanent residency in Thailand shows evidence of using their foreign nationality (usually to enter Thailand) or if they stay out of Thailand for more than 5 years in a row.

For those born with dual nationality, those who aquire their foreign spouses nationality, or for those who naturalise as Thais (or obtain Thai nationality via way of a Thai spouse), there is very little issue.

I suggest you re read the Thai nationality act and come back to us and point out where it says 'dual nationality is illegal'.

But good luck finding it. It hasn't been explicitly talked about in legislation since March 1992.

So your view is 22 years out of date.

• Like 1

No, you can't get Immigration to cancel a visa in a foreign, except in the special case that you have just become a naturalised Thai. There are other threads showing that other types of dual national tried to do this to avoid paying overstay fines but the only way out was to pay the overstay fines and return on the new Thai passport. And yes, you do have to pay overstay fines, if you enter on a foreign passport, even if you are Thai. Why would Immigration treat you any different, if you choose to enter on a foreign passport?

Mario is right in that there are nuances in the Nationality Act that suggest dual nationality is not quire above board for those are Thai by: naturalisation; through birth in the Kingdom to two alien parents; and those born Thai who have naturalised as aliens. However, there are no nuances of this type for those who are born as dual nationals, either through birth to two Thai parents in a country like the US that automatically gives nationality to all who are born there, or those born to one Thai parent and one foreign parent anywhere in the world.

In 1992 the 2nd version of the 1965 Nationality Act made provided for automatic revocation of Thai nationality from look krung who didn't declare that they were renouncing their foreign nationality by the age of 21. However, this only lasted for 3 weeks until the 3rd version of the Act replaced that version and made it simply an option but not an obligation to renounce Thai nationality in order to retain the other nationality. That is what Samran is referring to.

What Thai-Aust is saying is what many Immigration Interior Ministry officials would like to have people believe but it is simply not supported by the Nationality Act which he clearly has never read. If he still believes he is correct, I would challenge him to cite any announcements of revocation of Thai citizenship from the Royal Gazette from people who were not Thai through birth in Thailand to alien parents or adopted the Thai nationality of their Thai husbands. Nearly all the revocations are the former category, while the announcement of voluntary renunciations are nearly all from people who needed to do so in order to obtain a citizenship which demands evidence of renunciation of former nationality, e.g. Taiwanese, Singaporean, Korean, German, Austrian etc. According to the Nationality Act renunciations and revocations of Thai nationality are only final when announced in the Royal Gazette. So, if they are not there, they haven't happened. I am not saying things may not change in future but that would require amendments to the Nationality Act and would meet resistance from thousands of Thais with dual nationality, including some very influential people which is why the 1992 amendment hit the dirt so fast.