Lite Beer

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

recreating the country through intelligence and sacrifice

GOOD LUCKcoffee1.gif

I can understand the sacrifice, the people are giving up their freedoms.

Possibly the junta will decree only yellow shirts who have studied abroad have the right to be benevolent to the poor.

A quality education is the privileged of the empowered elite.The masses do not have access to a decent standard of education, and are socially prevented from benefiting from any meaningful advancement. When will an educated population (an informed electorate), be in the best interests of the powers that be ? Perhaps when the centrally controlled system finds itself falling behind Burma and Vietnam.

Most Thais I know that have studied abroad do not support the coup. Not saying this is generally the case - but the Thais I know who've spent time abroad, especially in graduate level study, tend not to buy into the whole nationalist militarist thing so much. Most don't think much of Thaksin either. I guess this is because they've learned to think and resent autocrats from whichever side treating them like children... but what do I know...

Edited by Emptyset

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

GOOD LUCKcoffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Possibly the junta will decree only yellow shirts who have studied abroad have the right to be benevolent to the poor.

A quality education is the privileged of the empowered elite.The masses do not have access to a decent standard of education, and are socially prevented from benefiting from any meaningful advancement. When will an educated population (an informed electorate), be in the best interests of the powers that be ? Perhaps when the centrally controlled system finds itself falling behind Burma and Vietnam.

Most Thais I know that have studied abroad do not support the coup. Not saying this is generally the case - but the Thais I know who've spent time abroad, especially in graduate level study, tend not to buy into the whole nationalist militarist thing so much. Most don't think much of Thaksin either. I guess this is because they've learned to think and resent autocrats from whichever side treating them like children... but what do I know...

You need to meet more Thais who've studied abroad, because I know hundreds (working at my university) and they are quite supportive of what is happening right now. I agree with your last statement though.

Edited by Stradavarius37
  • Like 1

Love the smell of the Thaksin knob slobbers soiling themselves over having a decent, effective man in charge, because the contrast with their hero couldn't be more striking.

Actually the similarity is far more striking than the difference. I don't want to go into who is more "decent" because that is meaningless nonsense. It's what you do that counts, not your intentions. But if you knew anything about Thai history, you'd recognize Prayuth as one of a long line of Thai autocrats with a plain spoken populist veneer, Thaksin is just the most recent precedent.

Great. if Prayuth drops dead, who is in charge? Who would be running the military dictatorship, the government, security of the nation, fiscal policy, law and order? What is the succession plan?

The thing that suprises me most, is in just a short time this man has become so popular in our village

The name Thaskin is no longer spoken with a smile, it has been replaced with the name of the General

When he announced no more politicians going over seas with their families at the expense of the thai people, the villages finally saw the politicians being brought back to earth

When there is a new election, I would not be surprised to see a lot of votes going to the man who has been the only one to pull out of its corrupt past

why where we never told by the PTP what Thailand was giving away for the high speed rail

I know many Farlang who would happy work for free, on a high speed railway, and in return get a 2 kilometer piece of land to do what he wants with it

My opinion is Thailand is finally going somewhere with the guidance of a man with vision based on fair policies, and can not be stopped by wealthy business owners who will not let Thailand go forward unless there is something in it for them

Because my Home country is being held back by Political fools and idiots

I am glad to be living in Thailand

Yes tezz...abbott makes bush in USA seem educated.

I too have seen benefits already doing business here supported by my embassy praising the general face to face but publicly stating opinions against him.

So why can't governments try to be honest like the General?

Hope the General does become Prime Minister.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Odds on , you will probably get what you wish for.

Right now he might even get elected democratically but don't think that is a likely scenario.

I'm betting prime minister for life!

Spot on. He is already behaving like any other politician handing out the candy.

There never was a need for this coup. He could have just sent the demonstrators home and upheld security like last time. He wants more.

Somo. Short for somatic. Asleep. Says it all really looking at your comments

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

GOOD LUCKcoffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

You need to meet more Thais who've studied abroad, because I know hundreds (working at my university) and they are quite supportive of what is happening right now. I agree with your last statement though.

Which university? You speak to hundreds of people regularly enough to know exactly what they're thinking? Sorry if that stretches my credulity. I don't claim to know the thoughts of that many people, but of the several Thais I know (and speak to regularly) who have grad level qualifications from respectable universities (Cambridge, LSE, SOAS etc), only one could be described as on the fence about the coup, the rest are very much against. Of course, I know Thais educated in Thailand to a reasonable level at good universities who are supportive - for now - but I often wonder if that's because they just consider this sort of thing the norm and haven't been exposed to any alternative ways of doing things, or modes of thought.

Right now he might even get elected democratically but don't think that is a likely scenario.

Spot on. He is already behaving like any other politician handing out the candy.

There never was a need for this coup. He could have just sent the demonstrators home and upheld security like last time. He wants more.

Proudly professing to come from USA. And look at the disgrace of your country. Look at how HATED you are around the world?

And u thought off comments like you post only accentuates the reasons why your nation stays where it is.

You obviously vote in your own land.

Glad you cannot here. The General FIXED the issues plaguing the people here and they are called POPULIST? So what is promising but never delivering called? Democracy?

Geez some people should never be allowed to vote

• Like 2

Love the smell of the Thaksin knob slobbers soiling themselves over having a decent, effective man in charge, because the contrast with their hero couldn't be more striking.

Actually the similarity is far more striking than the difference. I don't want to go into who is more "decent" because that is meaningless nonsense. It's what you do that counts, not your intentions. But if you knew anything about Thai history, you'd recognize Prayuth as one of a long line of Thai autocrats with a plain spoken populist veneer, Thaksin is just the most recent precedent.

Do you do business here? Not a bloody noodle shop or prostitute bar. I do. About 26 million baht per month.

Over the last 2 years I have been going NUTS ready to move to Cambodia or Indonesia.

Now I am staying. Since June 1, things have changed so so so much. Not attitudes alone but REAL DECISIONS.

But what would you know?

Edited by marcusd
  • Like 1

Do you do business here? Not a bloody noodle shop or prostitute bar. I do. About 26 million baht per month.

Over the last 2 years I have been going NUTS ready to move to Cambodia or Indonesia.

Now I am staying. Since June 1, things have changed so so so much. Not attitudes alone but REAL DECISIONS.

But what would you know?

He knows a few Cambridge educated Thais, so he knows everything lol.

Comparing the two of them is laughable - one tried to rob the country blind, one is trying to fix it. BTW - robbing the country blind was Thakin's "intention" - pretending that is wasn't doesn't make it less true.

Many thought Thaksin was trying to fix the country when he was in power too. Many thought Sarit was the enemy of the corrupt until they discovered how much he'd stolen after his death. But it'd be pretty dumb to simplify the situation to make it Prayuth vs Thaksin. It's far more complicated than that. I actually probably have a similar view of Thaksin to you, despite your attempt to traduce anyone that is skeptical about the coup and paint them as infantile Thaksin fanatics. Anyway, I don't really care that much, but if people want to get a picture of things which is somewhere near the truth, it'd be better they didn't replicate the same mindless hero worship that a lot of people had for Thaksin... treat the current lot with the same skepticism you had for the last lot. That's all.

Edited by Emptyset
  • Like 1

How could anyone counter this high level of intelligent debate?

• Like 2

I can't imagine they are thinking of getting rid of village headmen. It would be madness in our village if we didn't have someone here with authority.

They surely must have meant they will not get rid of them.

Each village differs. In the UK who do you have in authority in small villages The local policeman, so if you have a problem you see him.

If it is water/road/ you report it to your town authority.

Thai people will always use a headman because they are afraid of authority, dare not complain to higher grade persons.

All this molly coddling has to stop, announcements in the village at 6am ??? this is not a prison camp, word of mouth in Thailand is the quickest form as majority of villagers know everyones business. No need for this. Mobiles are in every home -local district have phone numbers to call in emergency.

I waned to get a water pipe mended but was sent back from the Tambon controller and told to report it to the headman, I couldn't because he was at his paddy with his wife. water ran free all day until the headman returned home. cheesy.gif

• Like 2

But what would you know?

Nope - I don't have a vested interest at all, my interest is more or less purely academic. And I sympathize with you if you've been affected by the instability. But what specifically has changed your mind in terms of real effects which impact on your business?

“When the old refuses to die, and the new is struggling to be born, monsters appear.”

Great. if Prayuth drops dead, who is in charge? Who would be running the military dictatorship, the government, security of the nation, fiscal policy, law and order? What is the succession plan?

Talk about cynical. Be grateful he is here now and he has obviously thought of that already. By his own plan, he only has to live till September!!!!! But personally. I wish him a very long and happy retirement with the gratitude of 95%+ of the Thai people for his wonderful intervention.

• Like 2

Removing the posts of Kamnans and Village Headmen is a giant step in the right direction although many will cling onto their position of power by any and all means.

The army can't possibly supervise all the villages to prevent what will go on behind the scenes as opposed to openly at the present

I am not able to read it that way. It is in the not to do list with "Dissolution of" Kamnans and Village Headmen. If he was going to do away with them then surely the 'dissolution of' would not be there. Or with that wording it would be in the tick list.

That tricky old double negative. It fools 'em every time.

Sad sad sad. So this non-elected government now has control of Trillions of baht and the entire countrie's economy and revenu and expenditures. Who decides on how the Tax paying Thai people's money is spent?

NOT Thaksin Shinawatra, a convicted felon living in exile, and isn't that the whole point?

• Like 1

Idioitic statement, Somo!!!!

But what would you know?

Well, two to be precise... lol. I'm not privileging their opinion over other Thais and I certainly don't think I know everything. I haven't even made any claim about whether the coup is supported by most Thais or not. I'm just saying amongst the people I know personally, opinion is mixed. The people I know who have studied abroad tend to be more politically engaged and have stronger opinions. But Thais I know who are well educated but only within Thailand tend to be more "wait and see" on the coup. They're more concerned about security than they are about high flown ideals. I haven't made any moral judgement on their opinions, I consider this an understandable position. But I do think the reasons for the coup are different to the reasons most people give for supporting the coup.

But what would you know?

Well, two to be precise... lol. I'm not privileging their opinion over other Thais and I certainly don't think I know everything. I haven't even made any claim about whether the coup is supported by most Thais or not. I'm just saying amongst the people I know personally, opinion is mixed. The people I know who have studied abroad tend to be more politically engaged and have stronger opinions. But Thais I know who are well educated but only within Thailand tend to be more "wait and see" on the coup. They're more concerned about security than they are about high flown ideals. I haven't made any moral judgement on their opinions, I consider this an understandable position. But I do think the reasons for the coup are different to the reasons most people give for supporting the coup.

Fair post apart from your last sentence, reality mate --blunt reality, lousy undemocratic corrupt regime slung out through them self destructing.

Having to be replaced, and the whole lot cleansed. Use the coup as an excuse because it kicked out Thailands downfall.

GOOD LUCKcoffee1.gif

So how do you explain

My Thai wife holds a Masters degree

and her family are fro Kalasin and live in an old house where they sleep on a concrete floor

In your mind they are privileged and the empowered elite Issan

Have you ever heard of a Government educational loan available to all Thais where the student pays off from their eaerning after the leave school and start work

• Like 2

Removing the posts of Kamnans and Village Headmen is a giant step in the right direction although many will cling onto their position of power by any and all means.

The army can't possibly supervise all the villages to prevent what will go on behind the scenes as opposed to openly at the present.

Why would they need to be supervised. If the positions are made redundant there will be no pay and no retirement benefits. Would you work for nothing?

The irony is that without a coup that effectively nullified all existing political process , there are now fewer players to consult and decisions are 'easier'. The general has so far proved to be a man of his word, and has given no indication that he is a power hungry despot. Many Thais like being told what to do and like not having to make big decisions. They learn that from school and other places. So it gives them confidence to see some ONE in charge.

The idea of sharing, and compromise with people you don't agree with, is alien to thinking here. You 'either agree with me or your dead'. Your right to have a minority viewpoint is not part of the culture. So whatever political system develops now, and I hope it is democratic, it may well be different to a western style democracy, and that's OK - for Thailand. I hope that The general is the person to see this through and also that he is well protected during the process.

• Like 2

GOOD LUCK:coffee1:

So how do you explain

and her family are fro Kalasin and live in an old house where they sleep on a concrete floor

Have you ever heard of a Government educational loan available to all Thais where the student pays off from their eaerning after the leave school and start work

I think his point was, unless the masters degree was obtained outside Thailand, it will be low quality.

The educational establishments available on a government loan are worthless.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

GOOD LUCK:coffee1:

So how do you explain

I think his point was, unless the masters degree was obtained outside Thailand, it will be low quality.

The educational establishments available on a government loan are worthless.

Internationally they may seem worthless in comparison but here they usually get you work, Big C Tesco, 7-11. others move on to pension related work if poss.

• Like 1

The army can't possibly supervise all the villages to prevent what will go on behind the scenes as opposed to openly at the present.

Why would they need to be supervised. If the positions are made redundant there will be no pay and no retirement benefits. Would you work for nothing?

There's payments and payments and not all from official sources

Proudly professing to come from USA. And look at the disgrace of your country. Look at how HATED you are around the world?

And u thought off comments like you post only accentuates the reasons why your nation stays where it is.

You obviously vote in your own land.

Glad you cannot here. The General FIXED the issues plaguing the people here and they are called POPULIST? So what is promising but never delivering called? Democracy?

Geez some people should never be allowed to vote

Actually I am English but please don't let your ignorance get in the way of your bigotry