Rumours force many Cambodian workers leave for home

Lite Beer

I wish they could remove all the cambodian construction workers from the village next to my condo, maybe they could start building some quality condos again.

Rumours?

"Since June 1st, 2014, about 40,000 Cambodian workers in Thailand have self-deported or have been forcibly removed from the country by the military junta. ADHOC investigators have received credible witness accounts up to nine Cambodian migrants have been killed, and that beatings have occurred at the hands of the Thai armed forces.. Unfortunately, in times of crisis in Thailand Cambodians are often scapegoated. Many Cambodian workers are now stranded at the border without enough money to get them home."

http://prachatai.org/english/node/4126

Cam-Thai border 37k have crossed as of today now zero transport available for tonight. Thousands stranded and sleeping in the open.

Steve Herman @W7VOA · 14h

MT @IOMasiapacific: #IOM working all night with #Cambodia to get home 1000s of migrants returning from #Thailand

there are very many credible reports that ADHOC is anything but a credible organisation. as with the vast majority of these ngo types. its all about the money and nothing else. so if they can make up a story that brings them more money, any story will do. truth reality, whats that, when there is a new lexus to be had for the lie spinning?

Edited by tsirorret

We should look a bit deeper and in detail:

There are Cambodians and Burmese and others with a legal status, i.e. visa and WP here. They need not fear gettting busted,- at least not according to official notion.

The majority are illegal here. But still they are humans like everyone else here and everywhere, so a bit of compassion would suit us all. They are not voluntarily here, but because their situation at home made coming to Thailand look the better alternative. Let's not forget there were and are also tens of thousands of Thais working abroad,- for the same reason. Working abroad is a heavy burden on everybody: no family, no friends, likely different food and miserable accomodation. And on top of that most likely your boss is cheating you out of some or all of the agreed amount of money. And don't mention occupational health hazards.

Why so many of them came here to work? Because they are the cheaper labour, compared to Thais. Because they are not so lazy (be it true or not), that is why the companies prefer them. Daily minimum wage is 300 Baht/day, at least on paper. I don't know, if the law stipulates, that this is also valid for foreign staff, but certainly not for illegal staff. So especially those companies, that are very unproductive have to rely on cheap illegal labour, else they could not continue to exist. There have repeatedly been articles in the newspaper, that non-Thai crew members on fishing trawlers were thrown overboard to drown. Nobody will ask questions...

They are voluntarily leaving here because their situation at home made coming back to Cambodia look the better alternative.

Edited by BillyBobThai

there are very many credible reports that ADHOC is anything but a credible organisation. as with the vast majority of these ngo types. its all about the money and nothing else. so if they can make up a story that brings them more money, any story will do. truth reality, whats that, when there is a new lexus to be had for the lie spinning?

The above is a rumour. Good example of one, too. ADHOC is NOT an organisation, it is an (ahem) ad hoc collection of 21 organisations.

Last Friday immigration came and busted a car detailing outfit close to here. All but one we taken away.
On Saturday the place war seemingly working as before.

My guess is, immigration got paid off, the workers are back and will most likely have to work for free, until the bribes are paid off.

I wish they could remove all the cambodian construction workers from the village next to my condo, maybe they could start building some quality condos again.

Oh sure, it is the Cambodian workers' fault, not the local managers and owners.

Go ahead, attack the weakest ones.

To bad this will not happen back in the USA with all of the Mexicans.

Let me see if I get this right.

You, as a foreigner in another country, you complain about the foreigners in the country you left?

laugh.png

To bad this will not happen back in the USA with all of the Mexicans.

Let me see if I get this right.

You, as a foreigner in another country, you complain about the foreigners in the country you left?

laugh.png

The thing is that I am here in Thailand legally. Where as of 2006, there we 11,555,000 illegals in the USA, of those, 47% were hispanics or 5,430,850.

Now did you get that right Mr Travel2003 or are you hispanic??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_immigration_to_the_United_States

Edited by BillyBobThai

They would not be missed in the workplace if the army went around a lot of the villages and started kicking a few lazy arse Thai's out to work. Plenty of male labour in Thailand but no impetus to work for a lot of men who still live with and are supported by Mummy and Daddy when they are 45. Hanging around funeral parties at local Temple's swigging hootch from unmarked bottles, illegal card schools and gambling on Cock fighting, swinging in hammocks, smoking dope and anything rather than put in a useful shift. Given the power and a long sharp stick i could round up a hundred or more just from two local villages around me. If all the men were made to work there would be no need for Burmese, Cambodian or any other Foreign labour force.

"if all the men were made to work" Maybe you should get yourself a sharp stick and let us know how that turns out...Turning Thailand into a forced labor camp would not make this a better country, for the oppressed, the oppressors or the Falang guests who would then be treated far worse.

I think the point is, that there is no astonishing shortage of labour in thailand that require 2mn foreign labourers to be imported legally or illegally.

Targetting the illegal teachers in schools here next?

A simple raid of each school to see everybody's WP, then off to military detention and deported if they don't have one would clean up the place a bit.

And then there would be about 10% of the number of teachers currently here left, in a country that desperstely needs teachers.

Very smart.

need some sort of ongoing update of the situation on the cambo side of the border, for those who cross independently need to know budget accommodation availability as well as onward transport availability at least until the situation approaches normal.

dont want to cross and end up be sleeping in the dust in poi pet

Rumor is a great weapon of those who would subvert the truth.

We see here what trouble it can cause.

Rumour is a great weapon, indeed. But in this case we don't see that.

There are not any important rumours involved. The junta IS forcibly, sometimes brutally deporting people. The junta IS dumping thousands at the border. The junta HAS WARNED officially it will keep deporting them by the tens of thousands. These all are entirely official statements.

I loved the foreign ministry denial that Thai forces didn't shoot many Cambodians. heh. Can't beat that for an official statement.

I think that what might have happened is that after army spokesperson said they were going to crack down and some arrests started taking place, employers wanted to get their workers out as soon as possible, and perhaps they spread rumours of shootings etc to get them to leave quicker? That seems most plausible scenario atm.

Why is it plausible? Because the Thai military would never kill hundreds and hundreds of Cambodian refugees AGAIN? Like they did before? Or physically mistreat tens of thousands, like they did before?

Isn't it equally plausible they would? And isn't it also plausible that Cambodians, fearing they would be beaten and tossed into trucks like other Cambodians have been since Wednesday, decided it would be better to do it on their own? Aren't these also plausible?

This post is exactly how the rumor mill is cranked up.

Add a word here and there like " Brutally"

Call taking those who have no other way to get to the border "dumping them"

Saying that the army has shot Cambodians without a shred of proof.

Bring up ancient history as some sort of evidence that the army would mistreat.

I see in the BP this morning it has been cranked up even farther, at least 9 deaths they say, well we know 7 were killed in a motor accident whether any others actually happened we don't know, probably not.

And the real victims of this rumor, and it is rumor that has caused this panic are the ones who are running from what the rumor has led them to believe by lies and distortion.

Those who started this and those who perpetuate it should be ashamed of themselves, but no they wont be, they will somehow think they are doing a great job.