Thai suspicions of pen and paper - why?

hermespan

I would most like to hear from someone who is Thai.

What is it with the fear or discomfort of people taking notes and asking questuons. This has happened many times over the years, the most rdcent example when I asked for a business card and enquired after the working hours at Vidyasom pharmacy in Banglamphu. I thought her reply was hilarious: "Why do you want to know?"

My guess, and that is all it is, is that Thais are suspicious of anyone with a notepad. We are perceived to be corporate spies, reporters or policemen. Or Thais just are not a literate people, unlike say Vietnamese who seem to relish the written word. Another possibility is fhat asking 'skill testing questions' is considered rude because they might not know the answers and are afraid of being perceived to be uninformed (losing face). Or there are so many laws that criminalize so many petty things that businessmen are constantly in anxiety about being arrested for labour or safety regulations.

In Japan and Malaysia writing things down is not generally taken as a threat. Why so here?

Not something I have ever witnessed or experienced.

Usually people just ask, rarely see anyone actually write it down, seems quite logical to assume someone was asking in an official capacity if they were making a written note as that would be typical behaviour.

They don't want to ever be held responsible for, their bad service, misinformation, dodgy products, and so on. Theefore, they are allergic to supplying any information, such as their name, which could identify them in the future.

I have to empty out my wallet every month because it is overloaded with Thai cards from motorcycle taxi and regular taxi drivers and people who have a business and veterinarians and ........

So somchaismith I am completely the opposite of you.

• Like 1

They don't want to ever be held responsible for, their bad service, misinformation, dodgy products, and so on. Theefore, they are allergic to supplying any information, such as their name, which could identify them in the future.

I have to empty out my wallet every month because it is overloaded with Thai cards from motorcycle taxi and regular taxi drivers and people who have a business and veterinarians and ........

I was replying in a context which applied to the OP's experience in the scenario of a retail store's customer service. Most, if not all, of the above positions which you are referring to are either Owner-Operators or contracters, which tend to take a fraction more responsibility towards customers than what say employees, of a business, tend to do.

Edited by somchaismith

I was replying in a context which applied to the OP's experience in the scenario of a retail store's customer service. Most, if not all, of the above positions which you are referring to are either Owner-Operators or contracters, which tend to take a fraction more responsibility towards customers than what say employees, of a business, tend to do.

People come by my house every day and stick fliers in my gate with a name and address. How do you think they advertise? Every retail operation does advertising that involves giving people a name and address and phone number. Wake up!

People come by my house every day and stick fliers in my gate with a name and address. How do you think they advertise? Every retail operation does advertising that involves giving people a name and address and phone number. Wake up!

You need to wake up, go back and read what I wrote - just saying like.

You need to wake up, go back and read what I wrote - just saying like.

You wrote, "I was replying in a context which applied to the OP's experience in the scenario of a retail store's customer service."

I wrote, " Every retail operation does advertising that involves giving people a name and address and phone number. Wake up!"

The common thread is retail experience.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thais are generally avid note takers, certainly from my experience.

Took me a while, but I just got it. alt=laugh.png>

It took me a while longer but funny, once the penny dropped!

clap2.gif

Who doesn't like taking large notes...

• Like 1