In 10 Years I Have Never Had A Conversation With A Thai

bowerboy

Paul, a gentle word to the wise. I race motorbikes and just because one bike has more bhp than another it doesn't mean it will go faster. Thailand had a bigger GDP than the UK in 1993/94 and then the West with the help of Soros slammed Thailand into the Asian Financial Crisis. Soros should have been executed for financial crimes against humanity with the damage he has created all over the World including the UK.

However Thais speak Thai because it's a great language but explaining technical concepts in Thai is not easy. Most Thais are happy, far happier than Westerners. If you immerse yourself in Thai Culture you will be amply rewarded and most Asians won't do business with you if you can't speak their language. Thai is 50% spoken and 50% body language.

I've been in Asia a long time, so nothing you said is new to me. A country having a relatively larger GDP than another country does not mean then that its people are very well educated or interesting for that matter. Thailand is a factory. They put things together, for the most part. Put the red piece with the other red piece, the black one with the black one. It's not hard putting stuff together, especially when the Western and Japanese manufacturing giants have shown them how to do it step by step.

Anyway, my point remains that there are not many interesting minds in Thailand. You give the example of large company directors. Sure, I agree that there are some. I know many of them here, by name. However, how many are they? 100 people perhaps? I think what OP (and I and some others) are talking about is the fact there 'generally' it's very difficult to have interesting conversations with Thais for any number of the reasons offered on this thread, whether for FACE or lack of intellect or xenophobia or conflict avoidance or whatever somesuch.

• Like 1

You consider yourself Thai?

Wow. I think thats the first time ive ever seen that.

Yes, most thais are not very well educated. You can reference any type of international comparison for proof.

Look around at the country. Its mostly crap.

Dont lie to yourself

OK, you can reference any type of international comparisons for proof. I look around the country and see beauty. I'd like to see your international comparison for proof because I think you are wrong. But as it stands all we have is your opinion vs my opinion. Since you brought it up seems to me you should be the first to provide the proof.

Or you can do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_student_performance (TH very poor performance)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_Index (very poor performance)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Intellectual_Property_Indicators (they aren't inventing anything of course)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EF_English_Proficiency_Index (among worst English language ability in the world - of non-English speaking countries)

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/oct/02/world-top-100-universities-times-higher-education (no universities in the top 100 or even 300 in the world)

Enjoy

Well, I asked for it didn't I.

• Like 1

Paul it is difficult and being serious doesn't help. It all depends what you are willing to put into it and if you really want it. All I can say is it was well worth the effort as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1

Had two conversations with my wife in 12 years. 12 years ago, we 're talking about love.

Last conversation was about money. But we do love each other. It's sometimes even better not to talk, instead of some rubbish.

Living here for 12 years and I don't even know ho\w many thousand conversations I had with various people from janitors to government officials

Of course, the usual small talk, where I came from etc.....

"Do Thais have conversations among themselves that are of any real subtstance? As far as I can tell it is only ever about food or lottery numbers". ( OP's words)

You might take a look in a mirror and you might see why you haven't had a conversation in ten years. Sorry, I don't get your point.

"Any open ended question or conversation starter always ends soon after with "mai loo" (I dont know)." ( OP's words..)

Phom Mai Lou Muanghann.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

It doesnt have to be deep or meaningful...just engaging on a personal level..

Previous post made me think of another current example...

World Cup is on right now (in case you hadnt noticed)...we have several Philippino guys in our office and they have approached me with uninitiated banter about who won what game and who played well etc etc..normal stuff. Those same guys also always approach me to talk about Manny Pacquaio fights and I love talking about that with them...

I was not able to engage any Thai in the office today about the World Cup.........and it was not due to language barriers...and for sure I know they are following it...

Why am I so easily able to engage with the Philipinos (and a Malaysian guy come to think of it) about the world cup and not the Thai's?

Its a case in point.

You must live in a different country than I. Since the world cup began, I've had loads of Thais starting conversations about football. I haven't seen any of it so couldn't really get into it apart from explaining why I support whoever is playing England. Maybe I'll tell the next one this story -

"The England team went to visit an orphanage in Brazil this morning. "It's good to put a smile on the faces of people with no hope, constantly struggling and facing the impossible." said Emilio Di Costa aged 6"

Most Thais are crazy about football - maybe they are scared of you if you are the boss?

I've got to agree with you, football is a great common factor.

At the start of the Premier League last year I was in Don Muang for the night as I was taking a flight the next day.

I sat in a bar with with a large projector screen watching the first game of the season (Tottenham vs Cardiff) and was the only person in the place.

The Thai waiter, a lad of about 19, came & sat with me and started to talk to me about Manchester United as they'd just done a pre season tour in Bangkok.

He didn't speak English apart from "Wayne Rooney, good." But when I told him, in Thai, that I grew up round the corner from Tottenham the flood gates opened.

He wanted to know everything, from family, children, did I have a house in London and that Gareth Bale had left Tottenham for Real Madrid for too much money.

It's not a daily occurrence this happens by far as I don't meet enough Thai's with a common interest.

Most I see have the need to fill a silence and talk forever but generally not with me.

If meaningful conversation means football, I hope everyone goes mute.

For me it was the most meaningful conversation I'd had with a Thai & that's why it stuck out.

It crossed the cultural divide.

We don't all sit around pitting our wits on Thai law & the Thai's don't either.

It's the benign that brings out the profound.

Why do you think you hear "bpai nai" so much???

Edited by Gringogazzer

I know lots of people who think I dont talk much. Some people have even gone as far to assume I'm shy. The truth is most people dont interest me and most topics people talk about dont interest me.

These same people are often quite shocked when they see me conversing with a friend on a topic I enjoy..

For me it was the most meaningful conversation I'd had with a Thai & that's why it stuck out.

Oh the bpai nai is just a probe to determine the delay before outing the venerable kin khao yaang. Since eating is of paramount interest here, something that I as a foodie can relate to, they're actually being quite blunt about the matters closest to their hearts.

Particle physics or cognitive psychology .. who the hell has interest in that when you can have somtam, hongthong and nubile wenches dancing morlam.

• Like 1

Oh the bpai nai is just a probe to determine the delay before outing the venerable kin khao yaang. Since eating is of paramount interest here, something that I as a foodie can relate to, they're actually being quite blunt about the matters closest to their hearts.

Particle physics or cognitive psychology .. who the hell has interest in that when you can have somtam, hongthong and nubile wenches dancing morlam.

So you think my response " do you want a lift?" Is the wrong one then? 555