Relocate from Phuket to Pattaya

KamalaRider

I'm planning to relocate to Pattaya in August after nearly eight years in Phuket.

My questions to other Pattaya members are:

Which part of Pattaya area/Chonburri is the best to live in, any good schools for my 9 year old kid.

My requirements aren't bars, restaurants or relaxation, tourist style.

I have an IT company so it really doesn't matter where I live and work as long as it has GOOD internet connections.

I'm also trying to find a house to both work and live in, posted an ad in bahtsold.com but will post on TV as well.

I have just passed by Pattaya in the past, only stayed for a couple of hours so I don't know squat about Pattaya and the region itself apart from what I have learned from others.

Will be most grateful for sincere answers.

• Like 1

Welcome to paradise! :) Spoonman had it right:

If I was the OP I would be looking around the Nong Palai or Mabrachan lake area's.

School, depends on the budget. Regents if you've got the dosh. Otherwise Assumption Sriricha or Maryvit.

Internet can be an issue. Need to check w/ people around the proposed neighborhood. If it's critical, using two providers is the way to go. Most outages don't last long.

• Like 1

Welcome to paradise! smile.png Spoonman had it right:

If I was the OP I would be looking around the Nong Palai or Mabrachan lake area's.

School, depends on the budget. Regents if you've got the dosh. Otherwise Assumption Sriricha or Maryvit.

Internet can be an issue. Need to check w/ people around the proposed neighborhood. If it's critical, using two providers is the way to go. Most outages don't last long.

Ouch, the same as in Phuket then when it comes to Internet.

We have to go around and find a suitable school for my daughter, the dosh do matter.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Forgot to mention, I'm going to Pattaya the end of this month to find a suitable house and school, so thanks.

Edited by KamalaRider

In my view close to Sukhimvit road, would be your best option. Plenty of schools, and the internet should be pretty good. Would think near Pattaya Tai and Theprassit area. Many schools to choose from nearby.

Other issues are water supply reliability and transport. Out around Maprachan is very nice, but not very practical, in terms of shopping, schooling etc. There are few footpaths for a 9 year old to walk on. Regent's school is quite a long hike for many people.

Good luck with your proposed move ---- hope it works out well for you.

• Like 1

Internet has become almost 100% reliable the last few years. Have been dealing with all providers in many of my condos for the last 10 years and now stick with 3-BB. Great deals on Fiber Optic accounts. Good service. At the moment I got about 15 accounts with them, from the 599.--/mth. to the 50-MB Premium Fiber Optic. Hardly ever any issues. If you don't care much for Central Pattaya's entertainment, head over to the dark-side, with hundreds of good deals, houses that can't be sold....;-) But stay within a good community and spend a few days/night-hours in the house before you commit.Definitely a buyers market. Good luck. I am considering moving South, possibly Phuket. So fed up with Pattaya.....MS>

• Like 1

Completely off-topic, but your intended move is a good example of why you should not choose a ThaiVisa user-name that is based on your initial location..... :)

Simon43 (who is no longer 43 years old) cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Internet has become almost 100% reliable the last few years. Have been dealing with all providers in many of my condos for the last 10 years and now stick with 3-BB. Great deals on Fiber Optic accounts. Good service. At the moment I got about 15 accounts with them, from the 599.--/mth. to the 50-MB Premium Fiber Optic. Hardly ever any issues. If you don't care much for Central Pattaya's entertainment, head over to the dark-side, with hundreds of good deals, houses that can't be sold....;-) But stay within a good community and spend a few days/night-hours in the house before you commit.Definitely a buyers market. Good luck. I am considering moving South, possibly Phuket. So fed up with Pattaya.....MS>

it aint 100% reliable in Pattaya.

Completely off-topic, but your intended move is a good example of why you should not choose a ThaiVisa user-name that is based on your initial location..... smile.png

No problem, it's not based on location, more a connection to a biker club in Kamala with the same name as my tag name.

My move is more based on changed working conditions than anything else, just need to be closer to BKK.

I love Phuket, hmm, maybe not the people, the ones that can affect you the worst, landlords, immigration people and so forth.

We spent a month in Phuket and then a month in Pattaya looking for places to live. We don't have kids, but eventually picked Pattaya. Housing seems to be much cheaper. And being close to swampy is great.

If you have time, stop by Mobi's bar on Maprachan reservoir. He's been here for years and can really help you out.

If you want to be near Bangkok, East Pattaya and the area around Maprachan is great. But you can also check out Huay Yai and NaJomtien. Basically the area from Huay Yai road (south of the floating market) down to Bang Saray is pretty nice. Lots of villages in that area.

Even Ban Chang is not that much farther from BKK if you take the 36 or 331. Much cheaper also.

Mabrachan is great to live. Only 10 minutes to the Regent International School by car.

Downside:

1. Electricity fails often during the monsoon season. Just on the other side of intersection Phon Prapha Nimit 26 and 21 (Siam Country Club Road) it seems to be ok most of the time. See also http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/664522-power-cuts-in-maprachan-area/

2. ADSL sucks BIG time in this (my) area. Sometimes I had a day that it actually worked, like 1 in 90! Now I use cable + mobile as backup.

3. Make sure you have a good mobile connection because you are going to need it in the monsoon (October) season for Internet.

Hi,

I lived around Pattaya from 2002 to 2005 and owned a condo in a very nice place where houses are also available for sale right now.. I, myself purchased again a condo there to relocate because I am now retired..

Search Google for houses for sale Jomtien Yacht Club.. It is an amazing place... Each house has its own mooring, the place is extremely quiet and very close by to everything. There is an olympic size swimming pool where there is hardly anyone (most owners have this place only for holidays and even during holidays except Songkran they don't come). I didn't have yound kids when I was there but I knew an englishman who had his son in a good school and the bus was picking him up in the Yacht Club

Any info, don't doubt to contact me per M.P.

I am renovating my condo and have an EXCELLENT builder, foreigner, excellent job, very reasonable prices..

Good luck and have a nice stay in or around Pattaya

"School, depends on the budget. Regents if you've got the dosh. Otherwise Assumption Sriricha or Maryvit.

Internet can be an issue. Need to check w/ people around the proposed neighborhood. If it's critical, using two providers is the way to go. Most outages don't last long.---Jsixpack"

I lived in Pattaya for about 7 years before moving on. & that was one thing that was noticeable, The lack of children for a town (City) that size.

Siracha is a long way to go to school IMO. What makes you pick Pattaya to relocate to-??--(Certainly not the beach) but if you do like the coastal living, lots of nice industrialized coastal Towns like Rayong etc that would have all the benefits you are looking for--close to BKK, & also to Pattaya. Good infrastructure for your company's needs.

Edited by sanuk711

Completely off-topic, but your intended move is a good example of why you should not choose a ThaiVisa user-name that is based on your initial location..... smile.png

No problem, it's not based on location, more a connection to a biker club in Kamala with the same name as my tag name.

Weally tough guys fwom Kamala?

tongue.png Awent we all, the club doesn't exist anymore, at least not as it did. Got my bikes accessories through them VERY cheap compared to imports in general.

Welcome to paradise! smile.png Spoonman had it right:

Ouch, the same as in Phuket then when it comes to Internet.

We have to go around and find a suitable school for my daughter, the dosh do matter.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Forgot to mention, I'm going to Pattaya the end of this month to find a suitable house and school, so thanks.

Internet is perfectly fine is most areas. Not doing to bad on here are we!!