A Lot Of Crime In Thailand

Ling Kae

How has the colonel managed to survive all this violence?

Drive- by shootings, maimings in the suburbs of Samut Prakarn where he tirelessly works as a member of Por Tek Teung, collecting victims of spiralling violence.

Unattempted, unsolved murders in the provinces, no doubt including his own province of Chiang Rai where he is faithfully following the King's ideology of self- sufficiency economy.

Plus violence threatened by PAD members when the colonel fearlessly penetrated backstage to investigate the hidden agenda of the leaders.

I think it is high time the colonel was promoted, General or Generalising Polypat sounds far grander.

You are out of order.

I thought there are rules against flaming here.

Manners and a good upbringing you obviously did not have stop me from replying in kind.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Drive- by shootings, maimings in the suburbs of Samut Prakarn where he tirelessly works as a member of Por Tek Teung, collecting victims of spiralling violence.

Unattempted, unsolved murders in the provinces, no doubt including his own province of Chiang Rai where he is faithfully following the King's ideology of self- sufficiency economy.

Plus violence threatened by PAD members when the colonel fearlessly penetrated backstage to investigate the hidden agenda of the leaders.

I think it is high time the colonel was promoted, General or Generalising Polypat sounds far grander.

don't get suckered in by him .... it doesn't matter what thread it is ... he'll take the far ground from common sense or experience and then bait until he can get a rise out of people ... just let him go ... or use ignore

Dont forget in those stats they include all of Thailand which im sure the bulk of it is done down the south near the border. Teachers and police get killed there nearly everyday by shootings etc.

Excuse me, but this is simply wrong.

I do know that a fair share of killing and maiming is done in Bangkok and suburbs because i do see the results constantly. A lot of the maiming never even makes it into the statistics as police allows in most cases the families of the opponents sort it out afterwards.

It became even so bad that most drive-by's here don't even get investigated.

Upcountry many murders never get investigated, or even declared as such as police is often reluctant to destabilise the established order between the clans.

Im not saying i dont believe you :o but I think your totally over exagerating (spelling).

So your saying MOST maiming and murders arent even recorded and just let off. Also MOST drive bys are not investigated? not saying I dont believe you again :D but you know what the people down south have to deal with? There is a school down there that need to be taken home by armoured vehicles just to be safe. More stuff happends down there then anywhere.

If you think Bangkok isnt safe then you should come to one of my parties, More chance of getting hurt by some yobbos

Dont forget in those stats they include all of Thailand which im sure the bulk of it is done down the south near the border. Teachers and police get killed there nearly everyday by shootings etc.

Not sure which stats you're referring to, but if it's the ones that place Thailand 3rd for murders by guns per capita, if memory serves they're from just before the ''war'' on drugs* and pre-date the current round of ''troubles'' in the South. Factoring both of those in and the figures would only go up.

* First ''war'' on drugs. You know, the one that eradicated the problem for ever in just three months ...

Edited by MarkBKK

Not sure which stats you're referring to, but if it's the ones that place Thailand 3rd for murders by guns per capita, if memory serves they're from just before the ''war'' on drugs* and pre-date the current round of ''troubles'' in the South. Factoring both of those in and the figures would only go up.

* First ''war'' on drugs. You know, the one that eradicated the problem for ever in just three months ...

There have been alot of problems down south for a long time now, they been murdering eachother for many years

Im not saying i dont believe you :o but I think your totally over exagerating (spelling).

So your saying MOST maiming and murders arent even recorded and just let off. Also MOST drive bys are not investigated? not saying I dont believe you again :D but you know what the people down south have to deal with? There is a school down there that need to be taken home by armoured vehicles just to be safe. More stuff happends down there then anywhere.

If you think Bangkok isnt safe then you should come to one of my parties, More chance of getting hurt by some yobbos

No, i am not saying that most murders are not recorded. Most murders are recorded, but i would guess that a vast percentage of serious injuries are not followed when the relatives of both parties come to an agreement (obviously the police station will receive a percentage of this agreement). Most drive-by's are not investigated, it is seen as a waste of time. Even the injured most of the times don't give statements even if they know the shooters.

I am well aware what people down south have to deal with. But i suspect you are not aware what people in the rest of the country, outside of your parties, have to deal with.

Guest endure

You are out of order.

So are you by insisting that only your experience has any merit

I thought there are rules against flaming here.

There are. You might to well to remember them

Manners and a good upbringing you obviously did not have stop me from replying in kind.

Looking through your posts, it's always you that starts the personal attacks when people refuse to agree with your point of view. You ought to try and practice what you preach

Bangkok is childs play, nothing ever really happends there, I get pissed and walk the streets all the time when im there and nothing ever happends to me.

I would even let my 10 year old kid lose there (if i had a kid) as long as he stays away for patpong

It became even so bad that most drive-by's here don't even get investigated.

Upcountry many murders never get investigated, or even declared as such as police is often reluctant to destabilise the established order between the clans.

So if the police didn't investigate these crimes how do you know if they even existed? and where on earth did you get these info without it being recorded? :o

Like the old saying goes "If the tree fell in the forrest and NOONE was around, did it make a sound"?

H_ll not sure if that a good analogy but its the only one i have :D

don't get suckered in by him .... it doesn't matter what thread it is ... he'll take the far ground from common sense or experience and then bait until he can get a rise out of people ... just let him go ... or use ignore

Sometimes i get the impression that i have landed here in a ratpack of sad existences whose only exitement in life is getting off on insulting people on the internet. I wonder if those characters are so brave and mouthy in real life as they are from behind the security of the screens.

Most likely not.

Sometimes i get the impression that i have landed here in a ratpack of sad existences whose only exitement in life is getting off on insulting people on the internet. I wonder if those characters are so brave and mouthy in real life as they are from behind the security of the screens.

Most likely not.

:o

Guest endure

Most likely not.

If you can't cope with the fact that other people have opinions different to yours and are willing to defend them against your personal attacks then perhaps you're in the wrong place. :o

If you can't cope with the fact that other people have opinions different to yours and are willing to defend them against your personal attacks then perhaps you're in the wrong place. :o

I can cope very well with people who have different opinions, this makes an interesting discussion. What though is very tiring is that some people believe that it is enough to support their opinion by ad hominem attacks against their opponent.

Trying to get back to the topic...

Funny, for example, is that the Land-of-Smile brigade completely blanks the murder statistics, that place Thailand way above every western country, that according to those are far worse regarding crime than Thailand. There is no logic to your argumentation, only wishful thinking.

Most likely not.

"I thought there are (sic) rules against flaming here"

Contradicting oneself with posts on the same page!

Echo echo...

Funny, for example, is that the Land-of-Smile brigade completely blanks the murder statistics, that place Thailand way above every western country, that according to those are far worse regarding crime than Thailand. There is no logic to your argumentation, only wishful thinking.

Out of interest, where do you get these statistics from? And how reliable are they?

Out of interest, where do you get these statistics from? And how reliable are they?

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_...s-with-firearms

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_...ders-per-capita

Interesting stats, however, as someone commented on one of the stats:

How comes Brazil is not included in this list ? Brazil had the most reported gun deaths including the most reported gun murders and the most reported shootings in 2005 and yet Brazil is no where to be mentioned anywhere in this list.

In 2005 Brazil had a total of 38,000 gun deaths with 34,000 of those gun deaths being murders.

Nationmasters statistics are a load of rubbish and nothing but out of date and seriously flawed statistics get published on here.

Guest endure

I can cope very well with people who have different opinions, this makes an interesting discussion. What though is very tiring is that some people believe that it is enough to support their opinion by ad hominem attacks against their opponent.

So

"Sometimes i get the impression that i have landed here in a ratpack of sad existences whose only exitement in life is getting off on insulting people on the internet. I wonder if those characters are so brave and mouthy in real life as they are from behind the security of the screens.

Most likely not."

Is NOT an ad hominem attack but simply an interesting discussion then?

Interesting stats, however, as someone commented on one of the stats:

How comes Brazil is not included in this list ? Brazil had the most reported gun deaths including the most reported gun murders and the most reported shootings in 2005 and yet Brazil is no where to be mentioned anywhere in this list.

In 2005 Brazil had a total of 38,000 gun deaths with 34,000 of those gun deaths being murders.

Nationmasters statistics are a load of rubbish and nothing but out of date and seriously flawed statistics get published on here.

I Looked at the site too ... and at other sites ... it is a LOAD of rubbish ... but as we know ... there is a statistic anywhere to support one's views .... whuch is why those of us that have lived here and been around say that the contention that Thailsnd is a SCARY ANGEROUS place .... are crying wolf. Or have an agenda ... even if the agenda is just contrariness :o

At times, it is so trying for the learned to do serious scientific research around here. :D

Nationmasters statistics are a load of rubbish and nothing but out of date and seriously flawed statistics get published on here.[/i]

Your post seems to be the only topical one here.

Brazil with a population of 180 million as much has a fire arm related murder count of 34 000. Thailand with a population of 60 million has a fire arm related murder count of 20 000 (according to Nationmaster).

Do your own maths, please.

I have to say though that this does surprise me a lot. Are you sure that the number for Brazil is not higher?

edit:

Point though is, that Thailand comes higher than any western country, which is in contracdiction to my opponents here that claim that Thailand is far less violent than the west.

I am still waiting for any argument that substatiates their claims, apart from pure anecdotal evidence based on wishful thinking.

Edited by ColPyat

I just had a bit of a look around in google. If i am wrong, please correct me.

I found for:

-Brazil a murder rate of 22.98 per 100 000

-Thailand a murder rate of 15.2 per 100 000

-US a murder rate of 6.8

-Scotland 13.8

-England and wales 2.6

http://www.laworderreferendum.org.nz/Data.htm

Basically, i am still waiting for any substance in the argument that Thailand as a country has less murders than a western country.

The following info was published for the year of 2005. It seems the US has the 15.2 rating

POINT OF CONTACT FOR THIS DOCUMENT:

To request a copy of this document or for questions concerning this document, please contact the person or office listed below. If requesting a document, please specify the complete name of the document as well as the address to which you would like it mailed. Note that if a name is listed with the address below, you may wish to contact this person via CDC WONDER/PC e-mail.

For single issue purchase 800-843-6356

NATIONAL CENTER FOR INJURY PREVENTION AND CONTROL

State/Fed Gov:

For free copies write to:

CDC, MMWR MS(C-08)

Atlanta, GA 30333

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Table 1

TABLE 1. Number, crude rates*, and ratios of firearm- and motor-vehicle-related

deaths, by decedents' state of residence

================================================================================

===============

Firearm-related deaths Motor-vehicle-related deaths

---------------------- ----------------------------

State No. Rate No. Rate Ratio

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alabama 928 22.7 1,225 30.0 0.76

Alaska 98 17.2 102 17.9 0.96

Arizona 696 18.6 814 21.7 0.86

Arkansas 483 20.4 639 26.9 0.76

California 5,064 16.7 5,009 16.5 1.01

Colorado 429 12.7 586 17.4 0.73

Connecticut 287 8.7 335 10.2 0.86

Delaware 53 7.8 106 15.6 0.50

District of Columbia 344 57.5 66 11.0 5.21

Florida 2,323 17.5 2,517 19.0 0.92

Georgia 1,377 20.8 1,466 22.1 0.94

Hawaii 57 5.0 140 12.3 0.41

Idaho 145 14.0 252 24.3 0.58

Illinois 1,574 13.6 1,667 14.4 0.94

Indiana 722 12.9 1,047 18.7 0.69

Iowa 241 8.6 503 18.0 0.48

Kansas 344 13.8 440 17.6 0.78

Kentucky 605 16.3 821 22.1 0.74

Louisiana 1,101 25.9 869 20.4 1.27

Maine 123 10.0 196 15.9 0.63

Maryland 708 14.6 708 14.6 1.00

Massachusetts 307 5.1 614 10.2 0.50

Michigan 1,498 16.0 1,513 16.2 0.99

Minnesota 351 7.9 598 13.5 0.59

Mississippi 614 23.7 812 31.3 0.76

Missouri 942 18.3 1,023 19.8 0.92

Montana 144 17.8 181 22.4 0.80

Nebraska 169 10.6 300 18.8 0.56

Nevada 333 25.9 272 21.2 1.22

New Hampshire 83 7.5 153 13.8 0.54

New Jersey 428 5.5 857 11.0 0.50

New Mexico 288 18.6 431 27.8 0.67

New York 2,515 13.9 2,226 12.3 1.13

North Carolina 1,265 18.8 1,407 20.9 0.90

North Dakota 45 7.1 98 15.4 0.46

Ohio 1,284 11.7 1,656 15.1 0.78

Oklahoma 503 15.8 680 21.4 0.74

Oregon 367 12.6 500 17.1 0.73

Pennsylvania 1,302 10.9 1,723 14.4 0.76

Rhode Island 55 5.5 93 9.3 0.59

South Carolina 619 17.4 897 25.2 0.69

South Dakota 75 10.7 146 20.8 0.51

Tennessee 1,003 20.3 1,161 23.4 0.86

Texas 3,727 21.5 3,229 18.6 1.15

Utah 214 12.1 269 15.2 0.80

Vermont 82 14.5 91 16.0 0.90

Virginia 984 15.7 965 15.4 1.02

Washington 550 11.0 768 15.3 0.72

West Virginia 292 16.2 431 23.9 0.68

Wisconsin 491 9.9 823 16.6 0.60

Wyoming 85 18.5 111 24.1 0.77

Total 38,317 15.2 43,536 17.3 0.88

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Crude death rates per 100,000; rates should not be compared between states because of

differing age, sex, and race distributions.

+ These data may differ from estimates of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's

Fatal Accident Reporting System because deaths occurring on both public and nonpublic

roadways are included.

Source: Mortality data tapes from CDC's National Center for Health Statistics for number of

deaths; U.S. Bureau of the Census for annual population estimates.

==========================================================================

I just had a bit of a look around in google. If i am wrong, please correct me.

I found for:

-Brazil a murder rate of 22.98 per 100 000

-Thailand a murder rate of 15.2 per 100 000

-US a murder rate of 6.8

-Scotland 13.8

-England and wales 2.6

http://www.laworderreferendum.org.nz/Data.htm

Basically, i am still waiting for any substance in the argument that Thailand as a country has less murders than a western country.

Guest endure

I notice that part of the introduction to those statistics reads as follows:

"Travel safety advisories from the US State Department, plus the British Foreign Commonwealth Office were used to "sanity check" the data as far as possible for some non-Western countries (some data was rejected on these grounds). Backpackers and other budget tourists are an excellent litmus test of how safe a country really is! Note however that in some countries crime is concentrated in a few localities easily avoided by tourists, and so even the travel advisories are not a 100% reliable guide."

I also find it difficult to believe that the rate pf 'Homicide, attempted and completed' was nearly 6 times as high in Scotland as it was in England/Wales.

I also find it difficult to believe that the rate pf 'Homicide, attempted and completed' was nearly 6 times as high in Scotland as it was in England/Wales.

I thought i was on your ignore list. You disappoint me.

Anyhow...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4257966.stm

Scotland has been named the most violent country in the developed world by a United Nations report.

Guest endure

I thought i was on your ignore list. You disappoint me.

As you do me - You'll find that it was Jdinasia that put you on his ignore list. I have made no mention of putting you on mine.