Ling Kae

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest endure

I also find it difficult to believe that the rate pf 'Homicide, attempted and completed' was nearly 6 times as high in Scotland as it was in England/Wales.

I thought i was on your ignore list. You disappoint me.

Anyhow...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4257966.stm

Scotland has been named the most violent country in the developed world by a United Nations report.

"Scotland has been named the most violent country in the developed world by a United Nations report.

The study found that, excluding murder, (which is what the figures in the other survey are talking about) Scots were almost three times as likely to be assaulted as Americans.

Victims of crime in 21 countries were interviewed by the UN, but senior Scots police officers criticised the study.

The survey concluded that 2,000 Scots were attacked every week. That figure is 10 times the number recorded in official police figures.

'Upward trend'

The figure for Scotland dwarfs that of other developed nations such as Japan, where people are 30 times less likely to be attacked.

The study, based on telephone interviews conducted between 1991 and 2000, said 3% of people in Scotland had suffered an assault, while the figure for England and Wales was second highest at 2.8%. "(So the rate of assault in Scotland was 3% and the rate in England & Wales was 2.8% whereas the figures on the other website say that attempted or completed homicide was 6 times higher in Scotland than England/Wales. Doesn't make sense.

Edited by endure

The following info was published for the year of 2005. It seems the US has the 15.2 rating

TABLE 1. Number, crude rates*, and ratios of firearm-and motor-vehicle-related

deaths, by decedents' state of residence

I thought we are discussing murder rates, and not ratios of crude deaths by firearm, which do include suicides and accidents. :o

From the Bureau of Justice Statistics:

Homicide rates from the Vital Statistics

Year Homicide rate

1990 10.0

1991 10.5

1992 10.0

1993 10.1

1994 9.6

1995 8.7

1996 7.9

1997 7.4

1998 6.8

1999 6.2

2000 6.1

2001 7.1 *

2002 6.1

* Includes 9/11 terrorism deaths.

Source: National Center for Health Statistics, Vital Statistics

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/hmrttab.htm

Edited by ColPyat

As you do me - You'll find that it was Jdinasia that put you on his ignore list. I have made no mention of putting you on mine.

My apologies.

...hmmm, would you mind considering putting me on your list as well, if i may ask? :o

Guest endure

As you do me - You'll find that it was Jdinasia that put you on his ignore list. I have made no mention of putting you on mine.

My apologies.

...hmmm, would you mind considering putting me on your list as well, if i may ask? :o

Why is that? Would you rather be read only by people who agree with you?

Thinking about it, you have been right about one thing: I may very well be in the wrong place here.

It is getting rather tiring to debate with intellectual imbeciles, meanspirited tossers and simplistic troglodytes, having to bear with their infantile insults, and therefore putting myself into the same classification of sad loosers they are.

The many nice posters who are able to agree/disagree while still keeping the discussion civil are of course not meant here.

I hope the moderators see this post as a reason to ban me for flaming, and assist me this way to break this highly embarrassing addiction of conversing with disgusting characters i avoid like the pest in real life.

Please, mods, do me the favour... :o

How has the colonel managed to survive all this violence?

Drive- by shootings, maimings in the suburbs of Samut Prakarn where he tirelessly works as a member of Por Tek Teung, collecting victims of spiralling violence.

Unattempted, unsolved murders in the provinces, no doubt including his own province of Chiang Rai where he is faithfully following the King's ideology of self- sufficiency economy.

Plus violence threatened by PAD members when the colonel fearlessly penetrated backstage to investigate the hidden agenda of the leaders.

I think it is high time the colonel was promoted, General or Generalising Polypat sounds far grander.

:o

You forgot one key ingredient... His friendship developed from afternoon teas with Thailand Secret Service agents protect him from harm.

:D

If you can't cope with the fact that other people have opinions different to yours and are willing to defend them against your personal attacks then perhaps you're in the wrong place. :D

I can cope very well with people who have different opinions, this makes an interesting discussion. What though is very tiring is that some people believe that it is enough to support their opinion by ad hominem attacks against their opponent.

At times, it is so trying for the learned to do serious scientific research around here. :D

or... discuss matters using only nice and polite words.

:o

Thinking about it, you have been right about one thing: I may very well be in the wrong place here.

It is getting rather tiring to debate with intellectual imbeciles, meanspirited tossers and simplistic troglodytes, having to bear with their infantile insults, and therefore putting myself into the same classification of sad loosers they are.

The many nice posters who are able to agree/disagree while still keeping the discussion civil are of course not meant here.

I hope the moderators see this post as a reason to ban me for flaming, and assist me this way to break this highly embarrassing addiction of conversing with disgusting characters i avoid like the pest in real life.

"Ask and ye shall receive"

It would do ALL of us a favor to finally rid TV of this trollish poster...

Please, mods, do me the favour... :D

ColPyat is probably the most interesting poster on TV and I would rate him up there with the famous John L. as far as knowing what he is talking about and doing his best to remain civil with posters that bash him at every opportunity.

I don't agree with many of his stands, but he certainly makes me examine my own beliefs in an interesting way.

PLEASE don't ban him. Don't even give him a short vacation. He is one of the best things about TV and I have missed his posts the last few days. :o

My apologies.

...hmmm, would you mind considering putting me on your list as well, if i may ask? :D

Colpyat - better be nice to Endure, that DON Z's :o interest you know :D (j/k)

Hate to say it but I'm with Ulysses, at time I would like to strangle Colpyat's keyboard after reading his post(s) but yet interesting. Also I must say, AT TIMES his stuff is really far fetch from the truth Tthough.....IMO

Edited by Misplaced

Isnt it about time you lot grew up and discussed a topic sensibly? Or has Thaivisa.com become a kiddies playground?

ColPyat, if you think you have an addiction, i suggest you seek professional help. Good luck with breaking it.

As for everyone else, cease this pathetic (and offtopic) mudslinging or i will be forced to close this thread.

Many thanks

Wolfie

"Ask and ye shall receive"

It would do ALL of us a favor to finally rid TV of this trollish poster...

I couldn't imagine NOT honoring this request!

Although it's very disturbing when you personally experience it , it doesn't mean that there is a lot of crime in Thailand. An idividual experience however unpleasant is not a definitive sample of the crime rate.

Only when personal experience with a high level of crime and violence in Thailand is substantiated with comparative crime statistics that are way beyond any western country.

It only seems that many people, Thai and foreigner equally, prefer to ignore both in order to keep living in an illusionary 'Land of Smile', that most likely never existed outside the heads of romantically challenged dreamers.

As far as I'm aware there are no such statistics to back this up.

Also the nature of crimes in different countries varies, for instance comparing UK and Australia - Oz has a far lower crime rate until you factor in gun crime and there in exceeds UK by miles. There is always the problem of reporting crimes in the first place and then accurately correlating the stats.

I would be very surprised to find petty theft to be higher in Thailand than UK, or even personal attacks (e. g. muggings) but I would expect to find higher shooting rates.

Dont forget in those stats they include all of Thailand which im sure the bulk of it is done down the south near the border. Teachers and police get killed there nearly everyday by shootings etc.

Not sure which stats you're referring to, but if it's the ones that place Thailand 3rd for murders by guns per capita, if memory serves they're from just before the ''war'' on drugs* and pre-date the current round of ''troubles'' in the South. Factoring both of those in and the figures would only go up.

* First ''war'' on drugs. You know, the one that eradicated the problem for ever in just three months ...

There have been alot of problems down south for a long time now, they been murdering eachother for many years

Obviously, but if you know your history with reference to the three southern provinces, you'd know that the violence down there is much, much worse now than it was four or five years ago (the period the stats that place Thailand third for murders by guns per capita go up to).

I'd expect petty theft to be lower in the UK and muggings/fights about the same as Th ... and guns higher here

after perusing websites over statistics that ARE NOT run by rabid victims rights groups and substandard info from other places mentioned ... it appears that most places don't compile statistics about Thailand and nurders ... nor about gun deaths and sorting them out ... nor about attacks by gun ....

(not to mention no statistics for machete wielding motorcycle gangs at all!)

the statistics argument is just baseless anyways as you can see from the person promoting that section of this discussion has said that reporting and follow-up are problematic ... so basically it is all just bunk.

There are many of us that have been here ... travelled the country .... speak the language .. and it just isn't the nightmare that the scaremongerers are crying about

(I wouldn't walk through a housing project<subsidized gov't housing for below poverty wage earners ...> in ANY major city in the world... I have however walked around parts of Klong Toey late at night ... <a tish edgy .... but hey :o >

Now ... why any person of means would deliberately keep his wife (kids?) loved ones etc in a place they say is dangerous to that extent ... well that would have to just be labelled NUTS! There's no way in the world I'd let my partner live in a place thatI thought was unsafe!

Now let us remember that this thread is about being safe to walk around as a farang at night in Thailand ....

I have read through (and will once more tmw) but I don't remember seeing any personal stories that toldd of these awful dangers in this thread ... just some people that have felt intimidated or nervous ...

I am sure the Aussie girl that was murdered recently in Kanchanaburi and the woman in Samui ... and the few times that happens all over will be touted out as a "statistic" but how many million visitors/year from the west <or even real asian tourists and not migrant laborers etc> die from violence in Thailand a year?.5/100,000??

I'd expect petty theft to be lower in the UK and muggings/fights about the same as Th ... and guns higher here

Have you ever been to UK????..............I think you'll get a nasty surprise!!!!!!

and your derisory comments about people who try and help and understand can only be interpreted as those of someone who hasn't got the time or inclination to think a problem through.

Please, mods, do me the favour... :D

ColPyat is probably the most interesting poster on TV and I would rate him up there with the famous John L. as far as knowing what he is talking about and doing his best to remain civil with posters that bash him at every opportunity.

I don't agree with many of his stands, but he certainly makes me examine my own beliefs in an interesting way.

PLEASE don't ban him. Don't even give him a short vacation. He is one of the best things about TV and I have missed his posts the last few days. :o

John L???

Total Cumulative Posts 0

( posts per day / % of total forum posts )

Most active in

( posts / 0% of this member's active posts )

Last Active --

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showuser=494

You sure you're talking about Thaivisa? or The Bearpit? :D

John L???

Total Cumulative Posts 0

I totally concur, Ulysses G., as Colpyat HAS been as interesting as someone who has never posted.

I, too, WOULD certainly rate Colpyat as high up as someone who has never posted.

He CERTAINLY knows as much about what he is talking about as someone who has never posted.

He DEFINITELY does his best to remain civil as someone who has never posted.

In other words, he IS as good as John L. any day.

If only he had he the same number of posts as John L.

Besides, it's the poster himself who asked to be banned. Who are we as mere Earthlings to disagree?

Deja Vue??

Just landed here on TV (as an expat from another board) as I got annoyed from a few "I-am-the-greates-have-seen-it-all-and-done-it-all-Posters" there, just to find one of them right away here.

Well the rest looks great here, so I guess I stick around a while.

Have a great Weekend everyone

S.

Edited by SMEG

As for everyone else, cease this pathetic (and offtopic) mudslinging or i will be forced to close this thread.

Many thanks

Wolfie

How does it feel to be completely ignored as a moderator? :D

Pathetic, yes, absolutetely the right term.

I feel increasingly embarrassed to even waste one thought on this idiocy here, save even that i sank so low and continued to post in this kindergarden dominated by social rejects. :o

How does it feel to be completely ignored as a moderator? :D

Pathetic, yes, absolutetely the right term.

I feel increasingly embarrassed to even waste one thought on this idiocy here, save even that i sank so low and continued to post in this kindergarden dominated by social rejects. :o

Aye, i was just biding my time... but as you and several others have chosen to ignore my instruction i will fulfil on my promise.

Thread locked, warnings will be issued accordingly.