Living just from the land.

Joey J

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't jump in with both feet just yet. Take your time and live your dream. One step, two step. Don't rush things but always move forward. You will love it and the hard work. I think you will enjoy your dream, but remember there are parts of a dream where you wake-up for awhile before going back to dream world.

You may at some point miss the city life and eventually get tired of the country/ farming and remoteness. I could be wrong because you are after-all 52, and in 10-15 years who knows? If I could say one more thing; if you're sharing your dream with someone else I hope that that special someone can either feel part of that same dream or feels enjoyment and fulfillment from knowing the happiness of you living your dream. I wish you the very best, enjoy life...

Don't jump in with both feet just yet. Take your time and live your dream. One step, two step. Don't rush things but always move forward. You will love it and the hard work. I think you will enjoy your dream, but remember there are parts of a dream where you wake-up for awhile before going back to dream world.

You may at some point miss the city life and eventually get tired of the country/ farming and remoteness. I could be wrong because you are after-all 52, and in 10-15 years who knows? If I could say one more thing; if you're sharing your dream with someone else I hope that that special someone can either feel part of that same dream or feels enjoyment and fulfillment from knowing the happiness of you living your dream. I wish you the very best, enjoy life...

and I'm happy with that.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Easy answer....... do not do it.

Ignorant of farming

52 is too old to learn how to really work hard.

Oh, heck, if it were easy, millions of Thai would be already doing it. Instead, they do what they now do for a very good reason.

I say bs to all this negativity. If you have a very good relationship with your wife, and you are secure with her family then I see no problem whatsoever letting them help you and you helping them in return and honestly I live in Southern Arizona right now and so many ranchers have been able to make a real good living after years of economic hardship by turning to dude ranching, which is essentially what I'm advising you to do-just with kinds of local livestock and plants and that work with the local climate. Your in-laws, if they have any kind of background in the farming business will teach you everything you need to know.I see no reason you cannot make this work. The only big concern I have, and it is a big concern, is whether you get along with your in-laws or not. Because if you do, great. If you don't, everything changes.

Edited by bnquick74

I say bs to all this negativity. If you have a very good relationship with your wife, and you are secure with her family then I see no problem whatsoever letting them help you and you helping them in return and honestly I live in Southern Arizona right now and so many ranchers have been able to make a real good living after years of economic hardship by turning to dude ranching, which is essentially what I'm advising you to do-just with kinds of local livestock and plants and that work with the local climate. Your in-laws, if they have any kind of background in the farming business will teach you everything you need to know.I see no reason you cannot make this work. The only big concern I have, and it is a big concern, is whether you get along with your in-laws or not. Because if you do, great. If you don't, everything changes.

I'm so sorry to everyone, im trying to come back to everyone that is posting but im new to computing, please forgive me, I will say this that it has been really interesting, good and bad. I thank you all.

Your dream is most likely a naive fantasy. Actually making one's full livelihood from the land is extremely hard work and long hours. And if you aren't experienced at farm life you are most likely doomed to frustrating failure.

This is what most younger Thai's are trying to run away from. You know where the cute girls end up, and they will take you back to the farm they came from, but will not stay long. I spent quite a bit of time on the tourist trail.....finding myself drawn to that kind of excitement....and now am as far away as you can be. After a few years, I started to wonder if I really wanted to go Native.....as I was missing the nice varieties of food and nights out. My problem is, that I could easily wind up into a life of self indulgence and debauchery or one of isolation and boredom. I put my gal in the car yesterday...and as many important things as I could carry, and we are heading out of Isaan to Chiang Mai, Pai, Mae Hong Son (she has a resort there), The resort needs to be dealt with, so we are preparing that to be leased out. Her daughter is starting classes in Chiang Mai University. We may move nearby. I have no intention of going back to Isaan permanently, and she will fly back to pack up the rest of our things, once we found another location. Alternatively, we will tour further south...with the idea of moving during the rainy season to get a better lease agreement. Variety is the spice of life. Might just do furnished monthly Apartelle hopping and stay a month in each area. Good luck with the farming.....hope it works out....but after two years...leave your options open.

Your dream is most likely a naive fantasy. Actually making one's full livelihood from the land is extremely hard work and long hours. And if you aren't experienced at farm life you are most likely doomed to frustrating failure.

I have to agree

Maybe London Paul should ask to stay at his girl friends family home in the rural farm land on his next holiday here.

He could help work on the farm to (1) gain some genral farming experience (2) get some idea of the volume of hard work that is required (especially in the intence heat and humidity) and (3) hopefully gain some further insight as to whether the issaan farming lifestyle and villiage life will indeed be a lifestyle he will be suited to.

either way I think it is paramount to have a large chunk of savings and pension to fall back on before seriously considering putting any money into the pursuit of this "dream"

planning to retire to thailand and purely "live off the land" with no savings or pension or back up plan/safety net is not advisable, I feel under these circamstances "the dream" could soon become a nightmare.

Either way I wish him all the best....

tyler2208 ... you are giving some sage advice to the OP.

I try to be a very positive poster on this Forum, but your Dream needs planning, not more dreaming.

Listen to guys who have walked this road before, not the guys who dream and advise from their desktop.

Hello London Paul, My family has 500 years of farming, I was bought on "The Land" in NZ.

I moved to Thailand more than 20 years ago, bought 50 Rai of land about 50kms north of Chiang Mai. It was the pick of the land the best available in the area.

We went into farming "Thai Style" what a head ache and after all these years its still a head ache. To the point we have now got the farm on the market.

Happy to talk to you in detail if it helps you.

rgds

Gimbo

I say down with all the negativity too but lets put a few things in perspective, he is 52, not yet married, in a relationship with a bargirl ( a few red flags already) and if his mate that posted is to be believed has no money very little assets, no savings and has only ever come here as a tourist. Now you expect him to live here, expect that his not yet missus can give the "game" away to live on the farm with no money and live HIS dream of living on the land (who is taking care of her and her family financially then?). In a career that he has absolutely no experience in and the point of said project is not to earn but only to survive off the land. I hate to be cruel and I wish the OP well but the only thing I have seen is posters giving some reasonable advice that may save him a lot of hard work and heart ache down the road. wai.gif

• Like 2

Has the land any dwelling, any house?

If the OP has no money ... who and whos' money will build the home?

Buy the Farming implement?

Where si the cash flow to tide the Farmer through the good and bad years?

Soooooooo many questions, yet to read answers.

I'm still glass 1/2 full, but the road long and dusty.

YES. But it is not for everyone....most people can't do it, especially "spoiled" city people. They do not understand the enormous amount of work that it takes. But good luck to you if you give it a try. I love it, but I am one of those types of people that can do anything with my hands. I think of it...and I do it. I've run my own construction company for 30 years....so hard work is nothing new to me.

You need enough money so that this living off the land is just a hobby and not something you depend on to survive. If you don't have the money then forget it.

In one of your early posts you made a mention of something life-saving happening to you, and somehow concerned Thailand. So a bird entered your life when you were at a low point, right? That's not really enough reason to jack it in and pursue some fantasy. Fantasies require a lot of money to sustain. You can't go into this based on emotion.

Edited by NCFC

My three cents. I have a similar dream so ... :)) The big red flag for me, Paul, is where it seems to me that you may very well be running away from something. Judging from your initial post, that's my sense ... that you're running away from something. Hope I'm wrong. Regarding the dream ... I have a friend who once told me that you can go into bars in Pattaya almost any night and hear guys tell pitiful stories, while they drown in another beer.

Just remember, you can run away from most things, most situations, but one thing you will never escape and can never run from,,,is yourself.

Dont think that running away will fix it mate, it wont.

Have a dream, yes plan etc, but do it for the right reasons and you'll have more chance of success.

does anyone no if fish farming is a viable thing, my wife (thai) has inherited a couple of disused ponds, i dont no if its very labour intence or the return would be,

I'm not sure about it but we have more students that are studying fishery/fish farming than students studying animal husbandry in the college where I work (and rice is our speciality).

I would say that if you have the ponds then you can start farming as you don't need to hire a backhoe to dig ponds. But be aware that maybe 90% or more of the farms out there today are contract farmers that sell their produce to CP, Betagro or any other big company.

What ever you do you will need a proper business plan and not the Thai style of that!
I had my students making that on an easy thing like the Thai style omelette with minced pork and vegetables. Usually sold for 25Baht with rice.

One group calculated in traditional Thai way and ended up with a production cost of 17 Baht. The other group I forced to think about everything, they had to find out the cost for everything I had listed including rent, electricity, wear and tear, packing material and so on... 27 baht if you include that small amount of chilli or fish sauce on the side!!

I have been giving this dream some thought for some time, but not much more than that. I have no farming background, but I do enjoy hard work and like to keep busy. Sounds like i am in a similar position and time in life to OP, but I am in a position where I could stop work and if careful continue. This would be easier in Thailand, the idea of chickens, fish, ducks seems nice, is it possible ?

Not looking to make money, more have something to do and reduce costs

Anything is possible. Just watch that people do not steal your ducks, fish, rice etc. In March April May the temp is great in Issan. I started at sunrise and by ten I was in my pool. (a 2500 liter water tank on the rubber tree land) Just don't expect to find any good workers

You need enough money so that this living off the land is just a hobby and not something you depend on to survive. If you don't have the money then forget it.

In one of your early posts you made a mention of something life-saving happening to you, and somehow concerned Thailand. So a bird entered your life when you were at a low point, right? That's not really enough reason to jack it in and pursue some fantasy. Fantasies require a lot of money to sustain. You can't go into this based on emotion.

I paid for the Families 20 rai cleaned and planted rubber trees and fertilizer and labor for 3 yrs so far. We paid for a 50 meter well etc and I built an irrigation system. My father in law thought that it was stupid to irrigate the trees. Of course he gets money from the daughters.

does anyone no if fish farming is a viable thing, my wife (thai) has inherited a couple of disused ponds, i dont no if its very labour intence or the return would be,

I looked into this. It can make money, but work every day. It also depends on your experience.

I have been giving this dream some thought for some time, but not much more than that. I have no farming background, but I do enjoy hard work and like to keep busy. Sounds like i am in a similar position and time in life to OP, but I am in a position where I could stop work and if careful continue. This would be easier in Thailand, the idea of chickens, fish, ducks seems nice, is it possible ?

Not looking to make money, more have something to do and reduce costs

Not looking to make money hahaha. Don't worry, you won't make any LOL. BTW how about a work vissa??