Is visa required to keep WP?

A friend is in the following situation and I would like to ensure that my advice is accurate:

His situation:

WP issued April, 10 months remaining. Issued against non-o multi.

Non-o expired, currently on last 90 day entry finishes 15 August.

Needs to travel to UK in October.

My advice:

Initially I suggested extending based on marriage with proof of income and WP, and get a re-entry permit - early August.

After further consideration, I think the following could be better:

Apply for 60 day extension 15 August - 14 October, based on marriage.

Travel to UK October.

On return, get visa exempt 30 days.

Extend based upon marriage with proof of income and WP.

So, the question - is the WP invalidated if there is no visa? (Of course he has the option to get a visa in UK)

A non o/b is required to obtain the WP, but is it linked to the visa, as well as passport number?

I am guessing he could come back in on a visa-exempt, or tourist visa and then do the extension before the 30/60 days is up, as it is based upon marriage.

It may sound dodgy, but this is completely above board - I have known him a long time. The challenge here is to see just how little it costs, compared to legal advice - that he now has to get a non-b to be able to apply for an extension.

The same lawyer tried to force him to change non-o to non-b prior to WP application as well...

Thanks in advance for your input wai.gif

A valid visa is is not required only a valid permit to stay from a non immigrant visa entry. Most people on extensions of stay have not had a valid visa for years.

As long as his income is 40k baht or more he can do the extension based upon marriage with the entry he has now. This would be the best option.

He can also get the 60 day extension but if he does a visa exempt entry his work permit would technically be invalid because he would not have a non immigrant visa entry.

Also if he only got a visa exempt entry he would have to do a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry at Bangkok immigration before applying for the extension of stay.

If he cannot get the extension of stay then next best option would be to make a trip to the consulate in Savannakhet and get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

• Like 1