NCPO advises lottery office to consider lottery price

webfact

A misleading headline, to a different context.

As I advised before, learn how to read a story during the time(s) of censorship.

The truth is in there. If you don't see it, that's your fault. The words of the colonel are reported accurately. The truth of this whole story is ALSO written accurately.

The article talks about the difference in the lottery office ticket price and then what vendors resell them for.

Vendors resell them for around 100 to 110 baht. Anyway know what the vendor pays the lottery office per ticket?

We are friendly with a lottery Lady. She pays at the lottery office 95 Baht for the tickets she buys from them. I guess she buys about 150K worth of tickets for each draw.

I guess 15 Baht go into someone pocket.

The fair thing to do would be:

1) make it illegal to sell tickets for more than their face value (Baht 80)

2) Pay independant lottery sellers a commission on their sales.

3) make them pay regular income tax....

Our lottery lady also gets 3% of the winnings if you cash the ticket with her. On a 1,000 baht, that is 30 Baht.

I am not sure how much of the total revenue is used for prize money, but one could easily make the math, looking at the back of the ticket, as the prizes per set are listed.

LOTTERY
No order given to adjust lottery price : junta

BANGKOK: -- The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) on Monday denied ordering the Government Lottery Office (GLO) to adjust price of lottery tickets.

NCPO deputy spokesman Col Winthai Suvari said the NCPO had not issued any order to reduce the highprices of lottery tickets sold in the market to a more reasonable level as had been reported.

Col Winthai said no special instructions had been issued on the matter though he was aware of the public's dissatisfaction at the wide gap between the original price set by the office and the prices at which the tickets were sold by brokers and vendors.

He said the junta had merely asked the lottery office to consider the issue, but no conclusions had yet been reached.

As such, reports about a conclusion being reached was untrue and intended to lead the public into misunderstanding the military junta, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-16

Can we compare with the UK ???

UK 1 pound 55baht.

Thai 100baht

Population same, numbers of tickets sold unknown to me.

Prize money UK 4 million pound = 220 million baht.

Prize money Thai 4 mill baht

Is there something wrong here ????

I'm sure there's plenty wrong......how many tickets are sole for each lottery....thousands likely....somewhere there's gotta be a lot of excess cash!!

In Thailand there are many multiples of the same number sold. I am not sure how many but for example you can buy 10 tickets with the same number so can win 40 million. During the 1992 uprising the GLO was burned down because it was widely known that certain people were benefiting from the winning numbers because of cheating.

Why not just allow the lottery system to go electronic like they were discussing years ago? Prices would be universal across the board. What's that you say? Certain political figures haven't been able to invest in LOXLEY/LOXINFO shares yet? Now i understand.

I think for around 4 years two different governments (Democrats and PTP) have proposed this but the howls of ticket sellers such as the handicapped and the many people who make their living from selling the tickets gets the proposal shut down...put back in the box for a few years. I will have to admit a LOT of folks sell the tickets in the sois, in the markets, riding bikes, etc.,....it's their self-employment.

In Canada I pay 145 bahts for a Friday night lotto ticket. My daughter buys me one each week. Unlike Thailand there is no tax on the winnings. The prize starts at 5 million dollars 145 million bahts and climbs by 5 million dollars each week if not won till it hits 50 million dollars 1 billion 500 million bahts. I also get 3 numbers for my 145 bahts. That compared to 4 million bahts minus taxes. No thanks.

• Like 1

i thought gambling was illegal in thailand double standards again

Illegal in much of the U.S. except in Atlantic City, Las Vegsa, oh wait a minute, state lotteries, Indian reservations, bingo, etc. Thailand is not the only place with double standards. Depends on.....

• Like 1

i thought gambling was illegal in thailand double standards again

Illegal in much of the U.S. except in Atlantic City, Las Vegsa, oh wait a minute, state lotteries, Indian reservations, bingo, etc. Thailand is not the only place with double standards. Depends on.....

I hope you weren't going to say 'your religion'....... not with all those gambling part time Muslims and Buddhists around the world, smile.png

• Like 1

i think it is better for a government to have controll on games than to prohibit everything and then the games are all made with the exclusiv controll of some mafias or clever ones.....but people will continue anyway to gamble.....i see it every day.....!coffee1.gif

Keep in mind, you must be a Thai National to collect any winning from the Lottery Office. The back of the ticket states: Government ID required.

That is correct... You must be a Thai National to collect any winnings.. So buy all the tickets you want, but your going to have to split it with a Thai because as a farang, you are not going to be able to collect the money. coffee1.gif

As of today 6/16/2014, The Powerball in the US is paying $50,000,000.00 for a $2 ticket. In Thai that's 60 baht for 300,000,000.00 baht. Of course your odds of winning is about 1 in 275,000,000. Good Luck... wai.gif

p.s. your also going to have to pay about 50% of that in taxes.. and your only going to be able to claim approx. 30 million in cash, but what the hey, that still leaves about 15 million in your pocket. Chock Di.. thumbsup.gif

Edited by khaowong1

Mega Millions USA is 1 USD or 32.28 baht. Powerball USA is 2 USD or 65 baht. Prize is from 15 million to all most 1 billion USD.facepalm.gif

And then the IRS takes 50% of it.

Still, you're rich and pooping on your boss' desk.

• Like 1

UK 1 pound 55baht.

Thai 100baht

I believe the UK lottery has or is about to increase a massive 100% - 2 pounds, whereas Thailand are looking at reducing their price for ticket sellers, is there something wrong here

how much is taken back as income tax ?

Keep in mind, you must be a Thai National to collect any winning from the Lottery Office. The back of the ticket states: Government ID required.

That is correct... You must be a Thai National to collect any winnings.. So buy all the tickets you want, but your going to have to split it with a Thai because as a farang, you are not going to be able to collect the money. coffee1.gif

Outrageous if true. Can any informed person confirm it and provide a link?

New South Wales (Australia) POWER ball lottery on Saturday 28th June. 22 million dollars (about 650 million Baht) for a 100 Baht ticket. From what I see with my Thai staff they are only interested in the last three numbers as they all play the black market Mafia lottery, not the government one

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

UK 1 pound 55baht.

Thai 100baht

Yes.

If you would like to know how the Thai lottery system exactly works read this -->

http://www.samuitimes.com/thai-state-lottery/

All 6-digit tickets of one series are sold to the agents starting with number 000000 until 999999, these are then 1 million tickets. For each draw (2 times monthly) many series are sold. Not any ticket will remain in the hands of the GLO. What the last agent cannot sell will stay in his hands. If he is lucky maybe there is a winning ticket among the unsold tickets.

excerpt of the website mentioned before

The proceeds received by the Government Lottery Office from the sale of lottery tickets will be allocated as follows:

1. 60 percent as prizes. *)

2. not less than 28 percent as state revenue

3. not exceeding 12 percent as expenditure on administration inclusive of the expense in respect of the sale of government lottery tickets -9 percent for sales discount and 3 percent for administrative costs

*) The share of the 60% for the winners is reduced to 57,5% when the first prize is 2.000.000 Baht as normal in our area. But it doesn't contain the rare "jackpot prize" of 20 re. 30 million Baht.

My excel table

post-144423-0-23394000-1402938091_thumb.

• Like 1

UK 1 pound 55baht.

Thai 100baht

The odds of winning the jackpot in the UK is about 1:14.5m, what are the odds here??? anyone?

The UK is done in a pure percentage basis : In the year ending 31 March 2013, 28% of total National Lottery revenue was returned to the Good Causes, while over 50% of total revenue was paid to players in prizes. Over the same period, 12% of total revenue was paid to the Government in Lottery Duty and around 5% was paid to retailers in commission. In line with the incentivised model introduced for the current licence period, Camelot's profit after tax is dependent on its performance, and was less than 1% of total revenue for the year.

Good cause breakdown:

• Health, Education, Environment, and charitable causes – 40%
  • Sports – 20%
  • Arts – 20%
  • Heritage – 20%.

Thailand (from 2010 paper): Return (prize fund) 60%. Some info and notices here http://www.lotteryinsider.com/lottery/thailand.htm

UK 1 pound 55baht.

Thai 100baht

I believe the UK lottery has or is about to increase a massive 100% - 2 pounds, whereas Thailand are looking at reducing their price for ticket sellers, is there something wrong here

how much is taken back as income tax ?

Nothing is taken in the UK - it is tax free. Duty is collected on the whole prize fund before the draw and not on the individual winnings. What you win is what you get, and none of this American idea of drip feeding the winnings - you win 30 million quid, you can take the lot tax free. Tickets must be bought in the UK (even online) to be valid though!

Increase in ticket price was to lift the prize fund which has been lagging in recent years (mostly due to splitting the once a week draw into two and then introducing other games, and the EuroLottery too - all of which splits the money). When it started weekly jackpot (14.5m to 1) was 30,000,000 give or take - now it is barely 10% of that on the main Saturday draw. UK Lotto is fixed percentage prize fund - raising the ticket prices does indeed raise the prize fund and charitable donations too. It is also not run by the state, but under contract (Camelot) with taxes paid (special Lotto Duty) from the ticket collection (not individual prizes which are tax free).

• Like 1

UK 1 pound 55baht.

Thai 100baht

The only important numbers is: Money taken in & Money Paid out. Nothing else.

The Thai lottery format is ideal for those running the black market lotteries, which allegedly make much more money for the organisers and pay out better prizes than the Government one.

The Government/junta could blow the underground lotteries off the streets if they were to copy a UK/US/European electronic type system and at the same time make more money for the national coffers and provide a much more exciting prize. The only other losers would be the sellers, mostly poorer people working a few days a month.

Most Governments would probably be reluctant to change the system as many "influential people" are involved in running the underground lotteries, so now is the time to do it.

• Like 1

Outrageous if true. Can any informed person confirm it and provide a link?

Not true saakura-My friend came for holiday, bought a ticket and won 4000

THB. Went to office filled in forms with a valid government issued form of id(in his case a UK passpprt) and collected his money. I have done so several times myself.

The lottery is NOT for Thai nationals only. Maybe some people are just unlucky and have untrustworthy Thai friends etc. that see an opportunity to feed them B.S and they fall for itm

There are quite a few people getting their share,by doing not much more

than passing them on to next seller,thats why they are never sold at the

price printed on the tickets, and why i never buy them, much better for

me to buy Premium bonds, you never loose your stake but could win a

million quid (not yet for me,but live in hope),had lots of 25 pounds wins,

so its better than putting the money in the bank.

From what i see,the Thais just seem interested in the last 2 or 3 numbers,

so they are betting a 100bht in hope of winning 1000 bht.

Regards Worgeordie

The people who are interested in only the last 2 or 3 numbers don't buy the official tickets, they buy from the underground lottery which pays out at 70 to 1 for 2 digits. Up to them how much they want to bet, the underground will accept as little as 10 baht a bet which makes it more affordable.