142,000 Cambodian workers return home from Thailand: official

webfact

142,000 Cambodian workers return home from Thailand: official

PHNOM PENH, June 16, 2014 (AFP) - More than 140,000 Cambodians had fled jobs in Thailand to return home as of Monday, fearing a crackdown on illegal migrants under junta rule, an official said.

The mass exodus of workers -- who play a key role in Thai industries such as seafood and agriculture but often lack official permits -- comes amid an army warning of arrest and deportation for illegal foreign workers.

"By the middle of last night the number of Cambodian migrants from Thailand reached 142,000," Kor Sam Saroeut, governor of Cambodia's northwestern province of Banteay Meanchey, said on Monday.

More than 2,000 workers arrived at the Poipet border crossing this morning alone and were waiting for government-organised transport to return home, he said.

The highway out of the border town was packed with military trucks ferrying men, women and children to their home provinces.

Seng Phoan, a 28-year-old construction worker who spent around two months in Thailand, was returning to the northwestern province of Battambang as part of the Cambodian army convoy.

"I decided to return because I feared arrest by the Thai army," she said during a pit stop.

"I was worried about my safety. If I can find work here I will not go back to Thailand," Seng added.

Thai army spokesman Winthai Suvaree said in a statement Monday that the NCPO (junta body) has no policy of cracking down on Cambodian workers.

The junta has dismissed "rumours" it was forcing Cambodian labourers out of the country after issuing a warning last week that it viewed illegal migrants as a "threat" who faced arrest and deportation.

Thailand is usually home to more than two million migrant workers, according to activists, with many manual labourers coming from neighbouring Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar.

On May 22 the Thai army seized control of the government in a coup following years of political divisions between a military-backed royalist establishment and the family of fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-06-16

Be good for Thailand to get rid of the slave labour and get some Thais in there working hard on the construction sites

its not slave labour we are talking about its a mix of underpaid, both legal and illegal workers leaving. 150K in a week is pretty serious.

Getting more and more reports of threats and rumours about what will happen if caught here after 23rd of this month. dosnt matter if the rumours are true or not the point is Cambodians cannot afford to take the chance given their recent history..

Some real immediate investigative journalism needed on this one so wont hold my breath.

If anyone thinks this is a good thing being so many so fast they are mistaken.

• Like 1

The article says that they fled from a threat of a crackdown on illegal workers. Not on all Cambodians. These illegal workers are taking jobs away from the legal workers in thailand and even replacing positions for thai workers. They are paid less so they are more desirable since they can not complain about working conditions and wages or of slave labor. Giving them jobs wihout documents is just another form of corruption. And what good is it for prayuth to only focus on the bigger problems. Prayuth should go after the officials who allowed or turned the other cheek to let this continue. Make those same officials work those jobs lost by fleeing cambodians so they can experience the suffering some had under their illegal workig conditions.

Clearly these illegal workers is not a small problem with so many fleeing

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As so many are fond of saying -- the Reds are uneducated poor people. Laborers who work in packing factories and build condos and highways work for...

that's right...the Yellows.

Duh, and get over it. Some of the corruption is being pursued much less rigorously than others.....

Hmmmmmmmmm.

May have only been a rumour....but whatever...it put the wind up 'em!

There must have been some kind of warning though.....142000 people don't just flee for nothing!

Plenty of history here to suggest that the Cambodians are more than logical to be better safe than sorry. They did deport a few, so why risk it. If they started rounding up long stayers in Nana, but the story was that they were all illegals, who would really take them at their word?

• Like 1

That went well then didn't it!

200K plus with those from Myanmar and Laos I guess.

Happyness for the Thais only?

And you live with the Kumars from 42 no doubt, and feed them from your hard earnt savings?

No idea what you are talking about. A personal thing perhaps?

I live in rural Kanchanaburi and my wife told me police were doing the rounds telling Cambodian employees (if they hire any) to get them out visa or no visa otherwise they will be arrested! Neighbour of ours was just about to start harvesting his casava. As you can imagine, this spread like wild fire.

This is nothing short of mass deportations, visa or not. Ethnic cleansing?

The worry is...are Farangs next on the list? sad.png

Edited by Boxclever

Be good for Thailand to get rid of the slave labour and get some Thais in there working hard on the construction sites

Well, yes. Once you remove the 'slaves', the local Thais will want double the money that was being paid to the slaves. :)

I certainly don't have a problem with removing the 'foreigners' and having Thais there, at double or triple the existing wages of the foreigners.

The story by Jonathon Head on the BBC made it sound as though they were fleeing Thailand in fear for their lives.

This reporter frequently "sticks the boot" into Thailand and the Junta and the BBC should pull him out of here before he destroys their credibility

If these people are here illegally, they should be sent packing as quickly as possible. They have no right to come here and take jobs from Thais. We Farang are not permitted to undercut Thais in the workforce, so why should these people be allowed to do so?

Good riddance to them and their "good friend" BBC Reporter, Richard J Head.

Edited by Torrens54

The story by Jonathon Head on the BBC made it sound as though they were fleeing Thailand in fear for their lives.

This reporter frequently "sticks the boot" into Thailand and the Junta and the BBC should pull him out of here before he destroys their credibility

If these people are here illegally, they should be sent packing as quickly as possible. They have no right to come here and take jobs from Thais. We Farang are not permitted to undercut Thais in the workforce, so why should these people be allowed to do so?

Good riddance to them and their "good friend" BBC Reporter, Richard J Head.

Your head is up your own arse and still in the western world.

These people have been the backbone of Thailand. Enabling Thailand to produce and manufacture at competitive rates.

You only have to see the reaction of the Junta today when seeing mass evacuation of their workforce.

Falang would not be filling the essential positions of manufacture, farming, building or services for few hundred baht a day.

When these people are gone so are you my friend as the prices will sky rocket.

Suggest you pick up some brochures on Cambodia etc if the Junta listens to you.

The Thai army junta is running them out of town.

... it was more the attack on a truck that created panic. In Chonburi people dressed as police shot the tires of a truck loaded with Cambodians. The truck turned over killing two ... arrests have been made ... lets see what the outcome of the investigation will be ...

There must have been some kind of warning though.....142000 people don't just flee for nothing!

Unfortunately rumours take on a life of their own and a little more is added each time they are repeated.

The other newspaper quotes the Hon. Pres. of Thai Condominium Association as saying 80% of property workers are migrants and he estimates 300,000 illegal workers in Bkk alone. I'm presuming he's only talking about the property and construction sectors so add in factory workers etc. !

Just who is going to replace that little lot ?

Unfortunately rumours take on a life of their own and a little more is added each time they are repeated.

The other newspaper quotes the Hon. Pres. of Thai Condominium Association as saying 80% of property workers are migrants and he estimates 300,000 illegal workers in Bkk alone. I'm presuming he's only talking about the property and construction sectors so add in factory workers etc. !

Just who is going to replace that little lot ?

Well, there might be enough Thais to fill in the vacancies IF they handed out 600 baht per day wages ! :)

And if there are still a fair number of jobs available AFTER offerring the Thais 600 baht, then, then they can start issuing a limited number of work permits for 'foreigners'.

• Like 1

The Thai army junta is running them out of town.

... it was more the attack on a truck that created panic. In Chonburi people dressed as police shot the tires of a truck loaded with Cambodians. The truck turned over killing two ... arrests have been made ... lets see what the outcome of the investigation will be ...

Has this 'attack' been verified or is it just another rumor?

its not slave labour we are talking about its a mix of underpaid, both legal and illegal workers leaving. 150K in a week is pretty serious.

Getting more and more reports of threats and rumours about what will happen if caught here after 23rd of this month. dosnt matter if the rumours are true or not the point is Cambodians cannot afford to take the chance given their recent history..

Some real immediate investigative journalism needed on this one so wont hold my breath.

If anyone thinks this is a good thing being so many so fast they are mistaken.

True both legal and illegal workers, saw a legal worker interviewed on ABC News (Aust) who had just fled back across the border. He apparently fled out of fear for his personal safety.