Bank

SDM0712

I have a business that maintains a Trading account and a separate Client bank account. The trouble I had explaining the Client account was hilarious. "Why don't you must put client money in your personal account, no one will know "? Which was actual advice I was given by one bank that I won't mention (K)

Anyway, on Friday I had a chappy making a final payment on a deposit of around 18,000 baht. He went to my home branch, filled in the slip, paid the money and the amount was credited to my account. All is good, the final money has been paid, it's not raining, the world is alive with birdsong.

Today one of my native staff gets a call from the bank, can we do them a favour. Apparently they are 2000 baht short on that day. They think that my man paid in 16,000 although 18,000 was on the slip which they stamped, and 18,000 added to the account. They wanted the gentleman's telephone number so they could call him, I told my staff to just say we can't give numbers out without authority, which we can't or won't. I was just pondering what they might even say to him since clearly he thinks he paid in the correct amount and has a receipt to show for it.

Also I'm pretty sure that when people make deposits in the branch they have to put their number on the slip anyway.

I wonder what kind of qualification might be required to work in a bank here, I would have thought at least an ability to correctly count to 18.

SDM

• Like 1

I suppose it's an easy mistake to make, counting to 18. Maybe the money counter needed calibrating that day. Could happen to anyone.

A few years ago I had a client who worked for Airbus Industries over in Germany and I received an email from him listing his tenants arrears for me to meet with with tenant and sort out. It went something like " Keisha * was £400 short last month and £200 the month before. I make that a total of £800 she needs to pay to bring everything up to date"

My response to him " I will call you after I have met the tenant, but out of interest what is you do at Airbus". It turns out he worked on one of the design teams for the A380. So I think I can forgive the bank, and next time I'm in will suggest they go into aircraft design, it pays better.

S

Never had any problems with Bangkok Bank.

Actually me either, until today.

S

Actually, I can't understand what your problem is.

Because you got a telephone call from the Bank asking your clients number?

Was it such a big inconvenience to you, as to make a hole thread ranting about Banks and Thai employees?

You have lost no money, only 3 minutes of your precious time.

I can only see it as another attempt to bash Thais and Thai institutions.

Actually, I can't understand what your problem is.

Because you got a telephone call from the Bank asking your clients number?

Was it such a big inconvenience to you, as to make a hole thread ranting about Banks and Thai employees?

You have lost no money, only 3 minutes of your precious time.

I can only see it as another attempt to bash Thais and Thai institutions.

I don't really have a problem, I thought it was amusing and hardly a rant. Also since the event is true and not over sensationalized in my post I can't see how I am attempting to " bash Thais and Thai institutions". If the event were untrue or exaggerated then I might agree with you. Also it really isn't the fact that they made a mistake that bothers me, it is what they would say to my client. How do you say to someone we think that you short changed the bank, definitely in error we are sure, but can you bring another 2000 baht to us? I cannot imagine how that 'phone call would go.

A question to you, in your opinion if anyone talks or writes about a genuine incident, is that an "attempt to bash Thais and Thai institutions" ? The point is do you believe that if a positive situation occurs that is ok to talk about, but if it's negative better to say nothing ?

Like all posts here, you do not have to read them and if you find a poster offensive it is a very simple thing to block their future posts.

To put the record straight I don't "bash" anyone, whatever that even means.

SDM

PS As an afterthought it occurs to me that I recounted am amusing tale regarding an Airbus employee. Why haven't you accused me of attempt to bash a European institution ?

Edited by SDM0712