Ed visa rules ?

Hello folks,

I am considering starting an education visa and I am trying to figure out the rules.

I understand you can do it for up to 10 years, but you can only study a specific course for 3 years.

Can I do it for one year then stop and I still have 9 years I can go back to later ? Or once started do I have to finish the 3 year course in 3 years or else lose the rest of that 3 year allowance if I stop studying ? Or do you have to take the full 10 years in one go and if you change to any other visa you lose the rest ?

Essentially I would like to understand the rules regarding stopping and starting before I start so that I don't screw up and waste my allowance. I may find a job at some point and want to change visa or might leave Thailand for a while so the rules are very important to understand completely going into this...It is important to understand these things properly in advance.

Any advice greatfully received.

Thank you all.

Some of the courses are approved for 5 years. As long as you are registered in an a course approved by the MOE, are attending classes and have the paperwork and 1900 baht to get an extension of stay every 90 days you are okay. The courses don't have to be back to back.

You could actually stay 50+ years if you enrolled in all of the courses offered by a school. As a reference, and reference only not a recommendation, look at this website:

http://www.tlslanguageschool.com/

I don't don't know where the 10 year number comes from. As far as I know it does not truly exist.

The 3 year number is about the same. For some language school that is the longest you can study at their school because is when you reach the limit of advanced studies that can qualify for an extension of stay. Some schools can offer a course of study of up to 5 years.

You could enroll in a school for a one year course of study. Take a break for however long you wanted and then go back to school for another year if you wanted to.

If you are taking a university course you have to take a minimum number of credits.

As to using it for one year and then switching it will make the immigration people wonder what you are doing.

To the best of my knowledge as long as you are taking an authorized course you are ok.

If you are in Thailand i would talk to the immigration head. but if you are out of country i would contact the consulate or embassy.

had a friend that found out after going through all the crap that he did not need the ed visa just a 90 day visa to come here and study.

If you are looking at staying here long term after going to university then i would suggest taking a university course that will allow you to teach after 3 years.

that will allow you to qualify for a work permit and you can teach and not worry about the ed visa rules.

I don't don't know where the 10 year number comes from. As far as I know it does not truly exist.

The 3 year number is about the same. For some language school that is the longest you can study at their school because is when you reach the limit of advanced studies that can qualify for an extension of stay. Some schools can offer a course of study of up to 5 years.

You could enroll in a school for a one year course of study. Take a break for however long you wanted and then go back to school for another year if you wanted to.

I did this. I studied at a school for a year and then felt I wanted to take a break, although the amount required was only 4 hours per week I planned to be away in different parts of the country for weeks at a time so would have missed my 4 hours on quite a few occasions and didn't want to abuse the system so I got a tourist visa and had a private tutor for Thai on the times I was in Bangkok.

Now I'm pretty settled in Bangkok and content to spend my time here I have applied again and just got the documentation back from the MOE for a new ED visa.

So in effect I can go on studying for however many years I choose as long as I keep changing schools after each 3 year or however long course ( and provided of course I had the funds to sustain myself here ) ?

The 3 years generally applies to language schools because some cannot offer a course of study beyond that. Some can do 5 years.

You can change the language you are studying also to get more time also.

Hello,

just me ending my annual ED visa or 15 months. I went to school PLC. They told me that I can establish and continue the study for next year. I do, but I think that I changed school because I'm not satisfied. I'm also thinking that I could use a break and traveled. Can I do it and how? I do not want to lose my visa. Thank you for your help and sorry for my poor English

Hello,
just me ending my annual ED visa or 15 months. I went to school PLC. They told me that I can establish and continue the study for next year. I do, but I think that I changed school because I'm not satisfied. I'm also thinking that I could use a break and traveled. Can I do it and how? I do not want to lose my visa. Thank you for your help and sorry for my poor English

I think you have and extension of stay you obtained at immigration not a visa unless you have been leaving the country every 90 days to get a new entry.

The way you can stay without going out of the country to get a new visa would be to enroll in a new school or remain with the one you have now.

In order to change schools you will have get documents from the new school for another extension and get a letter from the old school stating the date you will finished with them and apply for a new extension on that date.

You can travel with an extension of stay if you get a re-entry permit from immigration.