Best gyms in Chiang Mai?

SS1

Had a look around a few last year and decided to join Hillside 4. It's got a pool, sauna and showers, but I prefer to shower at home as they are a little scuzzy. The main point is the gym, which has dumbells up to 100ib, power rack for heavy squats and d'lifts, enough machines, though could do with a couple more hammer style ones. Pretty quiet during the mornings and throughout the day but gets busy from 5pm til 8pm. It's open from 8.30 in the morning until 10pm at night. I go later, after 8.30pm, then it's pretty easy to get on most equipment. 3,500bt for 6 months, 5,900 for a year. Not bad.

go gym - 60 baht a session, 1 month 900 baht, 3 months 2000, 6 months 3500, 1 year 5900

its just a weights gym with some cardio machines so no pool or sauna,

the drawbacks - no air conditioning just fans, dumbells only go to 90lbs, the have a squat rack but not a power rack, octagonal plates which make deadlifting abit of a pain, i believe its very busy in the evening but during the day is fine

the do have decent 20 kilo barbells that wont bend when loaded with a decent amount of weight, ive heard the ones it fitness thailand are crappy 15kg barbells that bend easily

search - Go Gym chiangmai on facebook for a map

I don't know about after 4pm. But i've been in there from anywhere from 9am to 3pm and its always got atleast 15-25 people there. I don't know what you constitute as busy, but that's pretty busy for a gym that size. For the most part no one gets in the way though, there's rarely people playing with themselves on a machine for very long.

Orchid Hotel has adequte weights, good cardio machines, cold drinking water, 2 towels per visit, hot showers, sauna, and a big pool.

Last time I checked it was 900B PM, but that may have changed.

http://www.chiangmaiorchid.com/

http://www.chiangmaiorchid.com/location.html

Tel : 0-5322-2099, 0-5322-2091-3

Machines are getting well worn just like many of the clientele.

But it's a good place to hear about Chiang Mai since it's beginning. wink.png

go gym - 60 baht a session, 1 month 900 baht, 3 months 2000, 6 months 3500, 1 year 5900

its just a weights gym with some cardio machines so no pool or sauna,

the drawbacks - no air conditioning just fans, dumbells only go to 90lbs, the have a squat rack but not a power rack, octagonal plates which make deadlifting abit of a pain, i believe its very busy in the evening but during the day is fine

the do have decent 20 kilo barbells that wont bend when loaded with a decent amount of weight, ive heard the ones it fitness thailand are crappy 15kg barbells that bend easily

search - Go Gym chiangmai on facebook for a map

I don't know about after 4pm. But i've been in there from anywhere from 9am to 3pm and its always got atleast 15-25 people there. I don't know what you constitute as busy, but that's pretty busy for a gym that size. For the most part no one gets in the way though, there's rarely people playing with themselves on a machine for very long.

fair enough im usually there about 8am till abit after 9, one time i did go about 11am it wasnt overly busy, but pics on their facebook page showed it fairly busy in the evening

naboo, on 17 Jun 2014 - 00:39, said:

My advice:

Walk up to random women who look fit and healthy and ask, "gym yoo nai".

I'm sure you'll find a good gym.

If a foreign male walks up to a Thai woman and says "gym yoo nai" he might get slapped about the head and face! If you don't know why you better ask someone.

• Like 2

naboo, on 17 Jun 2014 - 00:39, said:

My advice:

Walk up to random women who look fit and healthy and ask, "gym yoo nai".

I'm sure you'll find a good gym.

If a foreign male walks up to a Thai woman and says "gym yoo nai" he might get slapped about the head and face! If you don't know why you better ask someone.

Took a while for someone to pick up on that one.

Shangrila Hotel has a great gym/sauna/pool for 20 - 25K per year. It really is an enjoyable experience with easy parking and a central location with the plebs filtered out by the relatively high annual fee.

Shangrila Hotel has a great gym/sauna/pool for 20 - 25K per year. It really is an enjoyable experience with easy parking and a central location with the plebs filtered out by the relatively high annual fee.

I reckon not only the plebs are filtered out but also anyone who knows the value of a baht, dollar, pound, sterling.........

Money not being considered. Is it a gym for a regular person to go work out in with out trying to build a body. Just keep the cardio up.

Some weights to work with a space for some floor exercises. Is there a trainer on hand to help with suggestions Is the equipment kept up?

Not interested in gyms for muscle heads. Had enough of that back home.

A 10 kilo dumbbell is enough to keep in shape with.

heya all I am new to Chiang Mai but I been visiting a number of gyms

been adding them to my little Thai blog I created. I have visited about 9 gyms now but I got 3 I have wrote about

I have got small reviews for Fitness Thailand, harris Fitness and Exclusive Thailand

but I will be adding more soon, hope this helps out some people

http://learnthaireviews.com/category/gyms-chiang-mai/

as for powerhouse i did go there, will write a review as well

for a 1 month membership it costs 3750 which is quite high, i see no benefits of that gym compared to others to justify the price

but perhaps they are trying to discourage short term members

there price drops quite a lot as u increase your time, 9000 for 6 months and they had a special for full day access for 13000 for a year

when you look at the long term prices drops nicely, but the 3 gyms i posted on my blog above I liked better then powerhouse

I was not blown away by powerhouse. think there is better value out there

Money not being considered. Is it a gym for a regular person to go work out in with out trying to build a body. Just keep the cardio up.

Some weights to work with a space for some floor exercises. Is there a trainer on hand to help with suggestions Is the equipment kept up?

Not interested in gyms for muscle heads. Had enough of that back home.

A 10 kilo dumbbell is enough to keep in shape with.

It's top-end equipment for the typical Shangrila Hotel guest. The dry and wet saunas always seem to be on but are rarely used so no asking a truculent gym assistant to turn on the sauna and no crowding. You also have access to the pool and the tennis courts. It's a very pleasant afternoon or morning.

They have a promotion starting near the end of August.

Togas are optional.

• Like 1

did another post on Power House Fitness Gym Center

Nice website! Now I slightly regret joining Power House, as Fitness Thailand looks a lot better and bigger (and a little cheaper too). Also just found out that a friend from work goes there.

I actually had making a website like that in my mind before, with like a directory of all the gyms in Thailand with reviews, but seems you've already done it!

did another post on Power House Fitness Gym Center

Nice website! Now I slightly regret joining Power House, as Fitness Thailand looks a lot better and bigger (and a little cheaper too). Also just found out that a friend from work goes there.

I actually had making a website like that in my mind before, with like a directory of all the gyms in Thailand with reviews, but seems you've already done it!

well i started it haha only got four gyms on there with more to come, but thanks:)

I reckon not only the plebs are filtered out but also anyone who knows the value of a baht, dollar, pound, sterling.........

I had Shangrila gym membership for a couple of years and it really is good value. It's an uncrowded gym with top end equipment plus the sauna/whirlpool etc are good quality - the showers and changing facilities are also excellent. And the swimming pool is also very good, one of the nicer ones in CM, going there for a workout and a swim plus a laze by the pool could easily be a half day/day affair, a nice change and a great way to relax also.

I think the best ones are touch fitness at Maya and tm muscle gym. Not cheap tho.

BTW i don't get it. People keep complaining about a million different things regarding every f.... thing, in this case gyms, particularly fitness Thailand. Me personally, i train five six days a week and have no issues. I go there, give myself an hour to train my ass off and i am out of there. That's about it. What these people do there i dunno. They go to gym just so they can moan about things.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by A1Str8
  • Like 1

I think the best ones are touch fitness at Maya and tm muscle gym. Not cheap tho.

BTW i don't get it. People keep complaining about a million different things regarding every f.... thing, in this case gyms, particularly fitness Thailand. Me personally, i train five six days a week and have no issues. I go there, give myself an hour to train my ass off and i am out of there. That's about it. What these people do there i dunno. They go to gym just so they can moan about things.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You've never noticed machines out of order, had to wait for someone playing with his phone to finish using equipment you wanted, or found the floor in the free weight area so cluttered with plates, barbells and dumbbells it was a trip hazard? What equipment do you use? Do you get there when they first open?

I had Shangrila gym membership for a couple of years and it really is good value. It's an uncrowded gym with top end equipment plus the sauna/whirlpool etc are good quality - the showers and changing facilities are also excellent. And the swimming pool is also very good, one of the nicer ones in CM, going there for a workout and a swim plus a laze by the pool could easily be a half day/day affair, a nice change and a great way to relax also.

I have run out of likes.

Thank you for your opinion. I know it is a bit pricey but I did not move to Thailand to cut corners. Also I just want a nice comfortable gym to keep my body in shape. I am not interested in looking like Charles Atlas and lifting weights that are not good for my knees. I am retired and have no need to speed through a work out and rush off to some other project. Went through that cycle when I first retired and was ready to get a job again so I could have some time for myself.wai.gif

I think everyone has a different routine and its about finding the right gym for that and also for extra things like pools, saunas and overall experience, some people need all the bells and whistle to feel like they have a good workout while others are happy working out with a few weights in their room

as for Maya, that isnt even open yet, I got a tour last week, they gave me a tour upstairs and there is no equipment or set up at all yet, just a bunch of workers smashing walls and so forth, they said they hoped to be open in late august, and yes it will be pricy about 4000 a month for a monthly membership they said but prices go down the longer you commit

I have run out of likes.

Thank you for your opinion. I know it is a bit pricey but I did not move to Thailand to cut corners. Also I just want a nice comfortable gym to keep my body in shape. I am not interested in looking like Charles Atlas and lifting weights that are not good for my knees. I am retired and have no need to speed through a work out and rush off to some other project. Went through that cycle when I first retired and was ready to get a job again so I could have some time for myself.wai.gif

Ah, but if you were, you would have to use 'Dynamic Tension'. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Chiang Mai the hub of Superior Physical bodies. A thread looking for gym's to work out with heavy weights and now I see another thread looking to buy protein. So far the one answer for here in Chiang Mai is where to buy whey.

Not going to be any room for Joe average who just wants to keep his body toned up. Not built up.

Chiang Mai the hub of Superior Physical bodies. A thread looking for gym's to work out with heavy weights and now I see another thread looking to buy protein. So far the one answer for here in Chiang Mai is where to buy whey.

Not going to be any room for Joe average who just wants to keep his body toned up. Not built up.

that was actually me, I wanted protein powder to use in a shake occasional if i miss a meal or miss getting half decent protein in the day, usually only take one scoop a day, not looking to get big, just heal :)

Women in general, and Thai women in particular, like big muscular guys. Just as respectful guys do not tell small busted women to get a boob job because they like big boobies, respectful women do not tell their 'Mr Average' to hit the gym.biggrin.png

As much as I wish this were true, the fascination of young women in general, and young Thai women in particular, for skinny, effeminate boy-band stars leads me to a different conclusion.

Regarding the other part, I'd rather caress small and natural than big and unnatural. I'm sure many other men agree.

Edited by heybruce

Women in general, and Thai women in particular, like big muscular guys. Just as respectful guys do not tell small busted women to get a boob job because they like big boobies, respectful women do not tell their 'Mr Average' to hit the gym.biggrin.png

You really think so? As a more muscular person than 'Mr Average' I seem to get most attention from Thai males and ladyboys :D . Some ladies too definitely, but not like in Europe. The hottest Thai girls I see always seem to have very skinny Thai boyfriends!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Go Gym chiang mai super highway.

If you come from maya shopping center, its on the left side, on the super highway around 1 kilometer down..

You can find them on facebookj.

Best gym in cm.

Training there myself, after i tried other gyms.

The heat in that gym would knock u out.Hillside 4 is better and has a pool