Americans hate airline fees

webfact

It's not just Americans that hate airline fees. The way the headline reads you'd think people from other countries must be happy with them. What about the Thailand/India/Turkey/Sweden ?

The one I hate is the Fuel Surcharge. Because fuel prices went up (and cut into their profits) they add a surcharge. But when fuel prices dropped, the surcharge stayed. Same for most of those other fees, they didn't actually drop ticket prices, they simply started charging extra for services that used to be a normal part of the ticket price.

Then they say "Oh well if you don't want to pay those extra fees, we'll have to raise the ticket prices" so you are screwed as they are going to get their money either way.

Air Canada absolutely sucks for that kind of stuff. Want to pick your seat when doing online booking - add $15 to ticket price (for each leg of the trip) ! Want to collect frequent flyer miles - add $3 to ticket price ! You have to pay to collect their frequent flyer miles !!!!

Don't have any checked baggage - deduct $3 from ticket price. <deleted> !!! If you have to handle and carry my 25kg suitcase, it's included in the price. If I travel light, I save $3, but if I want to pick my seat on the plane it's an extra $15 ?!??!?

Won't even bother with stuff like paying extra for booze, snacks, etc. Or the crappy service provided by the "can't be fired for any reason because we're unionized" flight crew.

Flying on Asian and Middle Eastern airlines a lot over the last few years has kind of spoiled me I guess. While some are expensive, the service and amenities usually make up for it. The worst is when you pay for a Cathay Pacific flight, expecting Cathay service, and find out it's an Air Canada code share flight, operated by Air Canada, with their usual substandard service. If I buy an Emirates ticket to Bangkok and find out it's an Thai Air code share, no big deal. You still get pretty good service and meals and a nice airplane.

(Western) Airlines seems to follow the (Western) government model. If you institute a tax (or increase an existing one) never give up that revenue, even if the original reason for it has long since disappeared ! When that additional revenue isn't enough to meet your earnings forecasts, simply increase the fees (or add new ones) !

Doesn't seem to affect you but try adding on the extortionate government taxes for flying in/out of a UK airport.

Hawaiian Airlines still serves free food on domestic long haul flights, have friendly staff, and I believe they hold the on time record for the last several years and rarely lose a bag if you look at the stats. However you must be going to or from Hawaii to take advantage of the service

Agreed!

There are still some good US carriers but they're all regional or boutique airlines.

Virgin America, Southwest Airlines an Hawaiian Airlines still offer great service.

Here is an example of how bad things have become in the US with their airline service. United Airlines had cancelled a flight from Newark to Barcelona, Spain THREE DAYS IN A ROW. This is how the customers were treated;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNF4nwVAs9w&feature=youtu.be

• 4 weeks later...
Well look at the positive side,
There are still 16% of Americans stupid enough to either LOVE airfare fees or,

are not aware of the decade old "fuel", "baggage", "seating", "administration",

"service","credit card" and "give me a smile" surcharges cheesy.gif

As the high IQ forum members would say; "If those 86% don't like it - then walk"

(Just to keep up with the most stupid comment ever made giggle.gif )

So the 102% makes it funny I hope.