Grab this chance to reform education: Thai editorial

webfact

Being clever just isn't really part of the national psyche I'm afraid, being entrepreneurial and smiling among other things is, that's the way people of Thailand are. It's weak point they need to come to terms with a work on and no amount of money will fix it until the mindset changes and to do that you need a face-saving exit for the dinosaurs that set the example at the top.

It's in the military and amart's best interests to educate the next generation so they don't fall for Thaksin's nonsense and I think they ought to have figured that out by now. The approach to learning in this country is a farce and its driven by superficial expectations among the parents, simple as that.

• Like 1

It is not in the interest of the people who control this country that the education system change. That includes the military. They need people who are doing what they are told and not people who have the ability to think for themselves. That would endanger the status quo.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think the Army has pretty well endanger the status quo.

About time.

The big thing they have to do is start at the universities and get rid of the supposed professors who have been training the teachers for years in inefficient methods.

Not sure if there is a lot they can do with the ones on staff now. Maybe go to them and ask if they have any ideas. Guarantee them anonymity and they might have some ideas that will help. In fact they could offer a reward.

In the mean time we will have to wait for teachers to be graduated with real teaching ability.wai.gif

Please note I am not saying they are all useless there are many out there I am sure who are just being held back by the system.

To them I say. Hang in your day of triumph is coming.smile.png

If I see this again I am leaving Thailand ,(tomorrow) as this crops up about once a month , they have no intention of improving education and come to think of it, not much else will change either ,its Thailand ,therein lies the difference and the problem. coffee1.gif

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

They haven't been in for one month yet.

Thai Bashers just love to bash and never give them a chance. Every one knew the preceding governments were just talking.

We finally get one in that starts to do things and the bashers come running out. There motto is squash them with out giving them a chance.sad.png

To make Thai kid smarter, Free and compulsory schooling should increase from 12 years to 16 years.

In this way, ALL Thai kids will have a University degree when they come out to work, making it the highest in the world.

• Like 1

I remember speculation he wouldn't step in as he was so close to retirement. I never ever thought I'd approve of a military government but I agree with the article that now is an opportunity to get some good things done before putting the children back in charge.

Well, they're already reforming the education system to include more nationalistic content, more emphasis on respecting your elders & betters and that kind of thing: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/military-junta-revise-school-curricula-stimulate-greater-patriotism-love-establishment/#

And these new text books will be produced within a month or two, apparently, so certainly the military is getting things done quickly. Also going to be more emphasis on songs:

Oh Wong-Arthichart @oh_kub · Jun 15

min. of edu. prepare to give 35 nationalistic propaganda songs to play in every school during morning and lunch break.

The lack of national pride these kids today have is shocking. They need to be taught how they defeated the evil Burmese all those years ago and were never colonized. That's what education should be all about. And I'm as confident as you are the good general is taking brave steps in the right direction. And let's not forget the valiant effort the Thai military made in resisting the Japanese. Those battles should never be forgotten. Thai kids should know their forefathers died protecting their country. Victory Monument stands as testament to their brave sacrifice.

What a wonderful grasp of Thai history you have Emptyset. I love your insightful ideas about how to improve things.

• Like 2

Well, they're already reforming the education system to include more nationalistic content, more emphasis on respecting your elders & betters and that kind of thing: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/military-junta-revise-school-curricula-stimulate-greater-patriotism-love-establishment/#

And these new text books will be produced within a month or two, apparently, so certainly the military is getting things done quickly. Also going to be more emphasis on songs:

Oh Wong-Arthichart @oh_kub · Jun 15

min. of edu. prepare to give 35 nationalistic propaganda songs to play in every school during morning and lunch break.

The lack of national pride these kids today have is shocking. They need to be taught how they defeated the evil Burmese all those years ago and were never colonized. That's what education should be all about. And I'm as confident as you are the good general is taking brave steps in the right direction. And let's not forget the valiant effort the Thai military made in resisting the Japanese. Those battles should never be forgotten. Thai kids should know their forefathers died protecting their country. Victory Monument stands as testament to their brave sacrifice.

What a wonderful grasp of Thai history you have Emptyset. I love your insightful ideas about how to improve things.

I just think Gen Prayuth is the man to bring back the pride and passion. He'll grasp things by the scruff of the neck, drag people up if he has to, get people belting out their national anthem with passion for once and standing tall. We want to see 11 Thai tigers out there on the pitch, proud and erect, backs straight & roaring like lions, not squeaking in fear like little mice. Gen P will whip these lads into shape and no mistake. Believe. Always back the gaffer 100%. He'll get that talent out there performing, just as the Thai army performed during the glorious triumph of their World War II incursion into Cambodia. The French were crushed, browbeaten, fleeing in fear from the fearsome Thai warriors.

More of the same please, big Tu. Might still have a re-match against the red shirts to come. A tense encounter which could still go either way. I expect a close game initially but Dr T's lads will eventually be outgunned, put to the sword and the good General will have free hand to reshape things in his own image. The dark days of democracy will finally be forgotten, no more mobs of working class lads roaming around looking for a scrap... now we're talking 40 quid tickets, shiny new stands and prawn sandwiches. A brave new world.

(OK, I might be getting a bit carried away with the world cup... )