Thai MOT set to use 141 billion baht from fiscal 2015 budget to improve rural roads

webfact

MOT set to use 141 billion baht from fiscal 2015 budget to improve rural roads

PNECO570618001000202_18062014_120805.jpg

BANGKOK, 18 June 2014 (NNT) – The Ministry of Transport has earmarked 141 billion baht from the fiscal 2015 budget for the development of rural area infrastructures, in order to heed the National Council for Peace and Order's strategy to accommodate agriculture and tourism.

According to Ministry permanent secretary Somchai Siriwatthanachok, roads leading to rural areas will be expanded, and rural roads will be improved.

In the meantime, a budget has been allocated for the study the NCPO's proposal for a road stretching along the bank of the Chao Phraya River; the project will not be part of the national infrastructure development strategy for years 2015-2021.

Mr. Somchai revealed further that a conclusion has yet to be drawn on the total budget for infrastructure investment, whether the total will stand at 3 trillion baht or 2.4 trillion baht.

Related agencies will deliberate this matter once again, before the upshot is submitted to the NCPO tomorrow.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-18 footer_n.gif

I hope it's something that's going to be worthwhile......but, I wonder how long have they've been thinking of this (I was going to say planning, but that word may be wishful thinking)....a week or something??

I hope it's something that's going to be worthwhile......but, I wonder how long have they've been thinking of this (I was going to say planning, but that word may be wishful thinking)....a week or something??

I thought it had already been done by the abhisit regime under their Dust Free Road project. The project that was entirely free of corruption, part of their 1.4 Trillion Baht Infrastructure Stimulus package. Maybe they've found some new roads or the roads that were "improved" need "re-improving"?

Edited by fab4

Good news ! We have about 10klms of road where the heavy sugar cane trucks go over it on their way to the mill, 24/7 for about six months. In the off season it develops crater size pot holes - every year, because no-one wants to fix it properly. Like many others I drive most of it on the wrong side of the road. Surprise surprise, there are many accidents, fortunately not me - yet. So this is great news, but I guess the money won't trickle down to our stretch

Good news ! We have about 10klms of road where the heavy sugar cane trucks go over it on their way to the mill, 24/7 for about six months. In the off season it develops crater size pot holes - every year, because no-one wants to fix it properly. Like many others I drive most of it on the wrong side of the road. Surprise surprise, there are many accidents, fortunately not me - yet. So this is great news, but I guess the money won't trickle down to our stretch

Sounds like you live near me then lol exactly the same. Sugar factory nearby. Country Roads full of potholes. Had muddy terrain tyres fitted on my pickup for this reason

I thought it had already been done by the abhisit regime under their Dust Free Road project. The project that was entirely free of corruption, part of their 1.4 Trillion Baht Infrastructure Stimulus package. Maybe they've found some new roads or the roads that were "improved" need "re-improving"?

Do not kid your self there are plenty of roads that need work, especially any that go thru mountains

But...but...but...Abhisit.coffee1.gif

Nothing to report from our Fab re roads and improvement over the last 3 years.

Even the main highways are not good. travel highway 2--304--331 Udon to Jomptien 630 kilometers, and report back Fab.

The small road in to our willage is terrible, there is potholes all over the road. Sometimes they come and put gravels in the holes, come next rain the holes is back.

Edited by Skywalker69

until thais start to actually do the roads the correct way they will continue to fall apart. Look at the pic, it isnt road base, its dirt then a very thin coat of bitumen. Maybe if they used road base and the correct thickness of bitumen the roads would last longer but then they would not be able to pocket as much money and they wouldnt have continuity of work every year.

Absolutely. I am the son of a civil engineer and it has got so bad that I don't think they even know how to lay a base for cement or tarseal properly now. Anywhere! This is a Thai construction epidemic. For reasons either of ignorance or outright corruption they have no idea of what constitutes a decent support layer to lay any surface on. At my place builders were wheeling decent broken concrete hard fill 120m to dump it and laying down soft clay & sand to pour concrete on. Right on top of my grass lawn!!!! Till I stopped them. Just yesterday we drove to Sri Racha and on the road in there was a new block of shop-houses being built. The driveways outside were all boxed up on top of the ground and sand poured in, obviously to lay concrete driveways & parking areas on top of. True! Our tank stand collapsed. It turned out to be a concrete 1m well round full of sand, concreted over. Water got in. Sand got out. A lady down the road had her roof replaced a year ago because the steel roof structure collapsed. It was replaced and has collapsed again. A water main broke under the floor base and the sand base to the whole house floor all turned to slurry and moved then the internal walls all started to collapse. Most roads are cracking after only a year or less. Just south of here there is several km of road laid over gently rolling hills (ie obviously not paddy fields) and it is cracked to 5cm crazypaving. It would have been dead easy to support that road correctly but NO!! I bet that not one road out of 20 anywhere in the kingdom has it's specified roadbase laid as per the contract details andwhat is paid for in the contract price. Does the Thai Army engineers know how to oversee road construction to suitable roadbase standards? Because i seriously doubt that private enterprise does now! If the general does have people watching TVF (as some perhaps optimistically suggest) then that is a good one they could save billions with.

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 2

From the main 117 highway to my village, about the first five Ks have not been fixed in the eight years I have lived here. Yes, it's in Phichit province which should not be a surprise to anyone.

Still waiting for MOT to fix the roads in Isaan that were damaged during the 2011 floods.

Speaking of which, they should ensure all Thai vehicles actually have an MOT, before investing heavily in decent roads. wink.png

There are weigh stations all over Thailand, do they get used? IMHO. it is 50 % overladen lorries, and 50% inferior road materials.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

until thais start to actually do the roads the correct way they will continue to fall apart. Look at the pic, it isnt road base, its dirt then a very thin coat of bitumen. Maybe if they used road base and the correct thickness of bitumen the roads would last longer but then they would not be able to pocket as much money and they wouldnt have continuity of work every year.

With a properly compacted subbase absent clay and organic materials, an inexpensive chip-seal surface (graduated 1/2" rock and bitumen) can sustain heavy commercial traffic for years. But inadequate drainage control will quickly destroy any type of road surfacing, especially in rural areas subject to flooding.

From the main 117 highway to my village, about the first five Ks have not been fixed in the eight years I have lived here. Yes, it's in Phichit province which should not be a surprise to anyone.

We are over the other side of Hwy 11, turn off at Wang Sai Phun and go Easterly. The first 10km are OK but after that it's not so good!

• Like 1

A few months ago a perfectly good road was dug up and then raised some 30Cm higher. This road is now a complete mess due in part to inferior materials being used and then heavy lorries using it as a cut thru to a building site. Why was a perfectly good road dug up in the first place? why were inferior materials used in construction? Why were the lorries allowed to use this road and why can the building company not be made responsible for the damage? Good questions which will never be answered by those responsible me thinks!

There was a maintainence gang working on a road I went down yesterday.

Saw the top of their ladder sticking out of one of the pot holes.

There was a maintenance man working the other day--I took his photo, it will become a collectors item soon.

Dust free roads was a Bumjaithai initiative. And almost every road in Thailand needs improving!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app