Buying a pickup in my name - with finance & 30% deposit. Which brand allows this?

Im looking to buy a pickup truck and believe that either Ford or Toyota have be best and reliable options for me. However, I only want to pay 30% deposit and repay monthly over 5 years with my misus as guarantor. I have a work permit.

Obviously here in thailand its not the most logical place in the world to do business and depending on who you talk to at the dealership will determine different answers. At Chevrolet I was told last week no problem. Then yesterday someone else said that it would have to be in the wifes name.

I dont want to put it in the wifes name. I only want her as a guarantor.

If you have recently purchased a pickup on finance and its been in your name with your wife as guarantor can you share the information and logistics of all this.

many thanks

I bought an Isuzu pickup last year. It's financed for four years with a 25% down payment. They let my mother Co-sign which is normally a big no no, so like Transam said...talk to multiple dealerships. (BTW i am half thai, half american). You can definitely put it in your name with your wife as guarantor. It seems like one of their main concerns is that you can sell the vehicle and go back to your mother country. You will also get different interest rates/down payment percentages at each dealership. Good luck.

Also, the Ford design is new (1year old, new technology)...toyota design is old and should have a new design in the next year or two...if this matters to you. Isuzu is also an old design, but you seem to get a lot more features for similar cost. Check out Mazda trucks too. Shared technology with Ford.

Edited by HasipHasip5

Two years back, I was told by one Toyota dealer here in Chiang Mai that if I wanted to pursue a finance plan to buy a pickup I would need to have a Thai citizen sign as a guarantor that I would pay the remaining balance over the life of the loan. But like many things here and as stated by others above, you may get different responses from different dealers.

As for selection, I was looking at either a Toyota or a Isuzu at the time. I was leaning towards a Toyota as I had a Toyota pickup for 17 years back home but many Thais swear by Isuzu and claim that they are more durable and safer (if involved in an accident) than a Toyota.

PS. I ended up not buying a pickup and have just stuck with my motorbike for the time-being.

Edited by morpho

I bought an Isuzu pickup last year. It's financed for four years with a 25% down payment. They let my mother Co-sign which is normally a big no no, so like Transam said...talk to multiple dealerships. (BTW i am half thai, half american). You can definitely put it in your name with your wife as guarantor. It seems like one of their main concerns is that you can sell the vehicle and go back to your mother country. You will also get different interest rates/down payment percentages at each dealership. Good luck.

Also, the Ford design is new (1year old, new technology)...toyota design is old and should have a new design in the next year or two...if this matters to you. Isuzu is also an old design, but you seem to get a lot more features for similar cost. Check out Mazda trucks too. Shared technology with Ford.

How is the Isuzu an old design?

Launched same time as Ford, Chevy, Mazda.

Nissan just launched their new one.

Mitsubishi and Toyota to come - but when?

Isuzu in Pattaya offer 25% down payment, residue over 4 years. The "Prestige" model comes with big screen GPS, Bluetooth, rear camera, electric driver's seat etc. Total cost OTR, 901,000. However, their after sales are nowhere near as good as Nissan.

Several years ago I think Ford had a special "Farang" loan section, not sure on that but heard that. As far as the vehicle on longevity and cost to operate you will be ahead with a Ford or a Mazda. If you trade vehicles often Toyota or Isuzu is the best way due to resale value.

Isuzu let me finance a pickup using my house as a guarantee. No problem.

If you use your wife as guarantor she is only guaranteeing the loan. It won't be put into anyone's name until the loan is paid off. It will stay in the dealer's name. When the final payment is made the dealer will arrange transfer at the Land Transport office.

All deals / loan conditions are same for Thais and farangs. If you have a WP no problem to buy the car and get finance in your name with a Thai guarantor. Not sure about if you only have the yellow house reg. book (which I know allows you to buy a car in your name - not sure about the loan though as part of the loan consideration is your income).

If you have a WP and a Thai guarantor and the sales rep says "no can" - ask to speak with a supervisor or the branch manager as they might know better

Im looking to buy a pickup truck and believe that either Ford or Toyota have be best and reliable options for me. However, I only want to pay 30% deposit and repay monthly over 5 years with my misus as guarantor. I have a work permit.

Obviously here in thailand its not the most logical place in the world to do business and depending on who you talk to at the dealership will determine different answers. At Chevrolet I was told last week no problem. Then yesterday someone else said that it would have to be in the wifes name.

If you have recently purchased a pickup on finance and its been in your name with your wife as guarantor can you share the information and logistics of all this.

many thanks

Try Toyota. They offered me finance in my name if i put down 30% deposit.

My friend just bought a Ford pickup and the dealer financed it through Tesco. He put 15% down has a work permit, no guarantor and a very low interest rate.

Ford use Tisco for their financing. I paid 20% down, no guarantor and I told them my WP had just been canceled (which it had) but they still went ahead and financed me over 36 months.

My friend just bought a Ford pickup and the dealer financed it through Tesco. He put 15% down has a work permit, no guarantor and a very low interest rate.

You might think it is a low interest rate until you understand that that rate will be paid on the full amount of the loan for as long as you have the loan. Then it is not so low.

window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());

How is the Isuzu an old design?

Launched same time as Ford, Chevy, Mazda.

Nissan just launched their new one.

Mitsubishi and Toyota to come - but when

It was my understanding that Isuzu redisigned the body of the Dmax but essentially (minor modifcations) kept the same old engine. For me, that's an old design.

many thanks

Just spoke to a finance rep yesterday on this. I have a WP. They said I could finance with a 25% deposit @ 2.35% but I needed 12 months of payslips. I asked if 3 months was enough and they said that was also possible. So, read into that what you will. I think if you work for a well know company like a bank they are flexible.

OB

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand