farang with thai nationality

kaobang

if a child,son of farang couple living in thailand,attends thai school,speak thai like thai people does,.lives all his/her life in thailand..is he/she eligible for thai nationality?

Edited by kaobang

no

Skin color of parents irrelevant, foreigners remain foreigners.

foreigners can become thai nationals

Not without a work permit and history of tax paid on that employment.

Skin color of person still not relevant.

ok so someone is born in thailand,goes to thai school,lives like a thai..and can not work without a work permit?

no

Skin color of parents irrelevant, foreigners remain foreigners.

foreigners can become thai nationals

Not without a work permit and history of tax paid on that employment.

Skin color of person still not relevant.

ok so someone is born in thailand,goes to thai school,lives like a thai..and can not work without a work permit?

Never mind the WP, what sort of visa would the person be on to be in the country legally?

Correct because they are not Thai. But getting a job and a work permit will be easier with fluency in Thai/English.

If both parents have PR then , I beleive, the child could get Thai nationality.

If the kid was born in Thailand and has a Thai birth certificate it should be automatic. Get the kid on a House Reg first then apply for a passport.

Totally wrong information here.

As already stated - if the Child has Thai parents, or parents with Permanent Residence status, then the child can claim Thai Citizenship.

Simply being born in Thailand has no bearing - in fact if you look at the Thai Birth Certificate arranged by the Hospital where the child was born you will almost certainly see a Notation "ไม่ได้สัญชาติไทย" - which translates as "no right to Thai Nationality".

Patrick

• Like 2

If the kid was born in Thailand and has a Thai birth certificate it should be automatic. Get the kid on a House Reg first then apply for a passport.

Totally wrong information here.

As already stated - if the Child has Thai parents, or parents with Permanent Residence status, then the child can claim Thai Citizenship.

Simply being born in Thailand has no bearing - in fact if you look at the Thai Birth Certificate arranged by the Hospital where the child was born you will almost certainly see a Notation "ไม่ได้สัญชาติไทย" - which translates as "no right to Thai Nationality".

Patrick

Good point guess the OP needs to check the BC.

My understanding of Thai citizenship for a falang is as follows, the rules may change somewhat for a child. You need a minimum of a 5 year extension of stay. After that you can apply but only 100 people are selected from every applying country each year and that application depends somewhat on your "value" to Thailand e.g successful business, or a respected teacher etc. After you go through that process you need fluency in reading, writing and speaking Thai and need to be able to sing the National Anthem (both the T.V. version and the official one) at the interview. UbonJoe maybe the one to ask as he is pretty up to speed with all things like this. In my understanding it is very difficult for a falang to become a Thai citizen. Permanent residency is achievable but again is a long and tedious process especially as neither parent is Thai. I don't know how it applies to children but this post http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/ maybe a good place to start. My apologies for any inaccuracies in my reply but good luck.

. There are around 400,000 stateless people in Thailand, most of whom speak Thai fluently and many speak no other language.

so many!!!!but stateless?

Edited by kaobang

Never mind the WP, what sort of visa would the person be on to be in the country legally?

If 2 farang parents are legally living in Thailand, for whatever reasons and have a child born in Thailand that child will not automatically become a Thai citizen. Once the child attends school the child is eligible to stay on a sort of student visa somehow attached to a parent providing the parents or a parent remains legally in the kingdom. If the parents or parent remains in Thailand and the child continues his/her education up to the age of 18 than no problem, but once the child turns 18 than he/she becomes imposed to apply for a visa of stay under the same terms as the rest of us peasants.

If the child speaks, reads and writes like a native Thai, it makes no difference to it`s status here and if wanting Thai citizenship, would have to go via the same processes as any other farangs living in Thailand.. It`s not so unreasonable when considering there are indigenous tribes having lived in Thailand for centuries and still not eligible for full Thai citizenship.

. There are around 400,000 stateless people in Thailand, most of whom speak Thai fluently and many speak no other language.

so many!!!!but stateless?

Yup. A Thai friend married an ethnic Thai (Thai Yai) girl who was born and raised in Thailand, but whose parents were refugees from Burma. She is stateless and they could not officially register their marriage. They have submitted the paperwork to get her naturalized, but have been told that it will take years to get processed... unless they pay 200k baht under the table.

I realize, that some Farangs must be getting really tired of annual visa-extensions and 90 day reportings.

If Farang-home country allowes for Dual-Citizenship, fine. If not the case, a Farang seeking Thai-Citizenship must have very, very good reasons to seek Thai-Citizenship. Possibly related to his former live in his home country.

General comment, slightly out of context with OP's query.

Cheers.

My understanding of Thai citizenship for a falang is as follows, the rules may change somewhat for a child. You need a minimum of a 5 year extension of stay. After that you can apply but only 100 people are selected from every applying country each year and that application depends somewhat on your "value" to Thailand e.g successful business, or a respected teacher etc. After you go through that process you need fluency in reading, writing and speaking Thai and need to be able to sing the National Anthem (both the T.V. version and the official one) at the interview. UbonJoe maybe the one to ask as he is pretty up to speed with all things like this. In my understanding it is very difficult for a falang to become a Thai citizen. Permanent residency is achievable but again is a long and tedious process especially as neither parent is Thai. I don't know how it applies to children but this post http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/ maybe a good place to start.

My apologies for any inaccuracies in my reply but good luck.

The quota of 100 per year applies to PR but in fact only applies to Chinese but no other nationality ever has over 100 apply.

3 years extensions to apply for PR and another 5 after that to apply for citizenship. But you can skip PR nowadays if you are married to a Thai and have 3 years extensions and also get exemption from the singing.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Will never be kon Thai,the best race on earth,no matter what paper work he/she has,notice how everyone else is falang,boxida,jeen or Yeppon,but only the Thai are Kon,or people,the rest of us may as well be zombies as far as the Kon Thai think,okay come on ,tell me to 'pack my bags'.

• Like 1

Will never be kon Thai,the best race on earth,no matter what paper work he/she has,notice how everyone else is falang,boxida,jeen or Yeppon,but only the Thai are Kon,or people,the rest of us may as well be zombies as far as the Kon Thai think,okay come on ,tell me to 'pack my bags'.

Rubbish.

Rubbish.

on paper he maybe could be thai, but in -real life- not really, a falang can't just switch DNA to thai haha..

I've seen it takes years to process despite 14 work history with tax paid during that time plus zilch bludging. In NZ it takes just a couple of years for permanent residency; they're so keen to get immigrants to keep their numbers up as so many able leave. After 10 years there's a heap of benefits like universal superannuation/medical etc...very shortsighted planning...many locals and immigrants never work yet get good weekly state payouts here along with accommodation/free medical etc.

But geez trying to stay in USA on a visa, even for a few mths, sounds really difficult...silicon valley intern scholarship winner (PhD completed) was turned down until academics took matter up and then visa was granted...guess so many people want to live there.

Most typical, Thailand doing what it does best, not giving an inch. I hope the people that made these laws have the worst kind of hassle whenever they travel anywhere.
  • Like 1

Most typical, Thailand doing what it does best, not giving an inch. I hope the people that made these laws have the worst kind of hassle whenever they travel anywhere.
What are you on about? Very few places in the world confer automatic citizenship to those born on their soil unless one parent is a permanent resident or citizen.

As for not giving an inch, go back and read the three revisions to the Thai nationality act since 1992. Especially the 1992 and 2008 revisions. More than a few inches given there.

But let me guess, you haven't even read it...

Edited by samran
  • Like 2

My understanding of Thai citizenship for a falang is as follows, the rules may change somewhat for a child. You need a minimum of a 5 year extension of stay. After that you can apply but only 100 people are selected from every applying country each year and that application depends somewhat on your "value" to Thailand e.g successful business, or a respected teacher etc. After you go through that process you need fluency in reading, writing and speaking Thai and need to be able to sing the National Anthem (both the T.V. version and the official one) at the interview. UbonJoe maybe the one to ask as he is pretty up to speed with all things like this. In my understanding it is very difficult for a falang to become a Thai citizen. Permanent residency is achievable but again is a long and tedious process especially as neither parent is Thai. I don't know how it applies to children but this post http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/ maybe a good place to start. My apologies for any inaccuracies in my reply but good luck.

So are you saying the requirements are different for blacks, indians, other asian countries etc?

Or is it the same for all "FOREIGN NATIONALS"???

Don't see why you and so many others are so obsessed with the word "farang"........., it just confuses your statement and takes away from any precision in language/understanding

Edited by Eliot Rosewater