Glass doors with air shocks repair

zippydedodah

We have 2 large glass doors that use pneumatic air shocks in the upper casing to ease the opening and closing of the doors.

Anyone know of a good repair person for this sort of door? It is not commonly found and we have had bad experiences with our last

two repair jobs.

TIA

Forgive me if I am on the wrong track. Is this American terminology for a pneumatic door closer?

What's your problem with it.

If its simple adjustment, either door closes too fast/slow then you can slow it down by screw adjustment clockwise and speed up turning anti clockwise.

As I recall you need to open the doors and remove the screws on the break arm air cylinder first but not a complicated task.

Most cheaper door closers are of course oil filled and I have seen plenty of people inadvertently releasing all the oil...hahaha.

Don't think it is American terminology, it had me wondering too.

Yes the closers can be adjusted, sometimes two adjustments, one for the speed of the first part of the close and a second for the last about 10 cm of close but.............

Heavy doors may be the problem. Closers are rated for door weight and the ones I have seen at Home Pro do not look very heavy duty. Be sure you have one rated to handle the door you have, otherwise you are playing with something that will never work properly long.

They also have to be installed and positioned properly, an issue here because they are not commonly used.

thanks for the input folks. In USA i installed and repaired many a pneumatic air door closer, but they were always on the outsides of heavy metal security/fire doors.

The ones i have here in our doors are overhead in the casing... i am well aware of the adjustments that need to be made, ratings for size/weight of doors etc... but since the homeowner asked for "professionals" to deal with it and we had gotten blatantly ripped off the first time (3 yrs ago), i was looking for different/better professionals.

Anyways... talked to a guy i had a good sense for, and he said given that they are Diamond brand doors, it indeed should just be an adjustment and unless the doors were locking up, no new parts are necessary... so i tweaked a screw or two and LO! they are fine... and the owner in none the wiser and we hope to get our full security deposit back (that was the driving force in all of this)... once again, thanks for your comments.