What Internet speeds do you get in Pattaya?

2008bangkok

Currently using. BTV for Internet when I do a speed test to Bangkok I'm getting about 10-12mb but anything outside is anywhere from 1-4mb which causes my streaming video to buffer.

Just wondering what others get in comparison if speed test to Bangkok and then outside of Bangkok like UK or USA

Thanks

This is normal (for Thailand).

Within Thailand you can expect to get the bandwidth you pay for. Connections to outside of Thailand will often be throttled to a much lower speed, depending on the time of day etc.

The only way around this is to pay more for a "premium" connection that should suffer less from throttling. Even then your speed outside of Thailand will probably not be as good as it is within Thailand, particularly to some destinations, as the Thai ISPs simply don't want to spend money on buying good international bandwidth. Connections to the US are generally better than to the UK though.

True Online in Pattaya (darkside), 12 Mbit contract, 16 Mbit delivered, works perfect ...

You get 16mb both in Thailand as outside??

The latency is higher ofcourse but, for example, torrents runs at full speed ...

Btw, using the true online proxy will improve the latency very much.

proxy: proxy.trueinternet.co.th port: 8080

True Online in Pattaya (darkside), 12 Mbit contract, 16 Mbit delivered, works perfect ...

You get 16mb both in Thailand as outside??

The latency is higher ofcourse but, for example, torrents runs at full speed ...

Btw, using the true online proxy will improve the latency very much.

proxy: proxy.trueinternet.co.th port: 8080

He is the think torrent files seems to be ok and download at 1.2mb max which is the full 12mb bandwidth but tryin to watch tv on either xbmc or via DNS changer to the BBC websites or iplayer seems to buffer and speed year show between 1-4 mb

Hi. I have 3BB with the 13 Mbs/ 900 baht contract.

I usually get 15+ Mbs from Thailand and 12-14 from Europe.

Morning is always good (I download two 50 MB files from Europe at full speed (15 Mbs) every morning).

Evening can be lower at 8-10 Mbs for international download.

I use µTorrent (P2P) and it's very near to my bandwidth limit for most movies.

Rather happy with 3BB smile.png

Thailand:

3572577438.png

Europe:

3572579450.png

All over the place in East Pattaya w/10mb deal I pay BTV Bht32k/annum. Most of the time DL speed between 10-20mb but can slow right down to 2mb sometimes.

Edited by jmccarty

A ping of 26ms to Europe?

Nice to see that 3BB can abrogate universal constants like the speed of light for just 900B/month.

No need to make this useless remark every time sad.png .

We all know here that the Ping on SpeedTest.net (and on many popular speed test sites) is meaningless.

Kind of a cache for them at most providers. rolleyes.gif

The discussion was about the bandwidth we get, and these pics were here to illustrate Thailand/International cases.

Thanks

A ping of 26ms to Europe?

Nice to see that 3BB can abrogate universal constants like the speed of light for just 900B/month.

No need to make this useless remark every time sad.png .

We all know here that the Ping on SpeedTest.net (and on many popular speed test sites) is meaningless.

Kind of a cache for them at most providers. rolleyes.gif

The discussion was about the bandwidth we get, and these pics were here to illustrate Thailand/International cases.

Thanks

Apparently there is indeed a need to repeat my very sensible comment every time as it seems that some have not yet understood.

A ping of 26ms to Europe is only possible if your data is being cached. If your data is being cached your speedtest is meaningless.

Do a proper uncached test and you will find that your ping to Europe is much higher and your bandwidth is much lower than from the same speedtest to Bangkok. And that should tell you everything you need to know.

A ping of 26ms to Europe is only possible if your data is being cached.

If your data is being cached your speedtest is meaningless.

No. There is no direct correlation between the Ping and the Download Speed.

Clearly 3BB (and others) caches the Ping but the Download test seems to be done correctly.

Do a proper uncached test and you will find that your ping to Europe is much higher

and your bandwidth is much lower than from the same speedtest to Bangkok.

Read again what I wrote: I download every days files of 50 MB at 15 Mb.

It's a more realistic test that SpeedTest but it give the same result. So...?

A ping of 26ms to Europe is only possible if your data is being cached.

If your data is being cached your speedtest is meaningless.

No. There is no direct correlation between the Ping and the Download Speed.

Clearly 3BB (and others) caches the Ping but the Download test seems to be done correctly.

Sorry, but that's just nonsense. I suggest you study the matter a bit more.

Read again what I wrote: I download every days files of 50 MB at 15 Mb.

It's a more realistic test that SpeedTest but it give the same result. So...?

It is indeed a much more realistic test and is good if true.

According to a friend who seems to know the subject well, all international bandwidth of all providers is capped round 3 MB out of Thailand. The account I am on right now is a 3-BB 50/5 MB / Fiber Optic and this is what my testmy.net / speed-test shows. Pretty shocking......

He tells me all the regular speed-tests, also the ones showing foreign servers, are "fake". Would be nice if a pro could explain for us all to understand. THX. MS>

arrow-down-doubleM.png Download :: 2.2 Mbps 275 kB/s arrow-up-doubleM.png Upload :: 1.4 Mbps 175 kB/s

Speed in Mbps6% slower than the TH Average 2.3 Mbps30% slower than your City Average 3.1 Mbps5% slower your Host Average 2.3 MbpsComparable to Your Average 2.2 MbpsYour Download Speed 2.2 Mbps01234567891011
Edited by moonseeker

According to a friend who seems to know the subject well,

all international bandwidth of all providers is capped round 3 MB out of Thailand.

3MB or 3 Mb ? Input or Output ? ...

I have no way to test for 3MB/s but 24 Mb/s would be very nice already smile.png

~ $ rsync -av 91.121.140.198:/data/SQL/Wiki/WikiUsdkf.sql.gz /home/TmpBig/speedtest
receiving incremental file list
WikiUsdkf.sql.gz

sent 30 bytes  received 58761571 bytes  1951940.89 bytes/sec
total size is 58754309  speedup is 1.00

~ $ ls -l /home/TmpBig/speedtest
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 58754309 Jun 20 02:27 /home/TmpBig/speedtest

~ $ echo 1951940*8/2^20 | bc -l  # Mb/s

~ $ whois 91.121.140.198 | grep country
14.9 Mbit/s on a download from France smile.png , with the 13 Mb package from 3BB at 900 baht

I have just got these results

Thailand server

Last Result:

Download Speed: 14233 kbps (1779.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 1032 kbps (129 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 46 ms

20 June 2014 08:29:23

Singapore

Last Result:

Download Speed: 17503 kbps (2187.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 1012 kbps (126.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 91 ms

20 June 2014 08:30:20

What I consider more important, as I really have no idea on the accuracy of these adsl speedtests, is the length of time it takes to download a movie or whether streaming video works well. I use 3BB, pay for 16 gown, 1 up.

3BB does not always cache. this is a measurement a minute ago to a server in Paris.

Do you have a "premium" package with them?

no, just the 12mb for some 9xx Baht. but i want to point out that when i measured yesterday for some hours i had top speed. it varies a lot depending what time of the day.

here's another test a minute ago.

3574409913.png

...but i want to point out that when i measured yesterday for some hours i had top speed. it varies a lot depending what time of the day.

There's no arguing with that.

My bandwidth to Europe also varies wildly via CAT/Sophon. I find that bandwidth to the US is generally more consistent though it still varies.

According to a friend who seems to know the subject well, all international bandwidth of all providers is capped round 3 MB out of Thailand. The account I am on right now is a 3-BB 50/5 MB / Fiber Optic and this is what my testmy.net / speed-test shows. Pretty shocking......

He tells me all the regular speed-tests, also the ones showing foreign servers, are "fake". Would be nice if a pro could explain for us all to understand. THX. MS>

arrow-down-doubleM.png Download :: 2.2 Mbps 275 kB/s arrow-up-doubleM.png Upload :: 1.4 Mbps 175 kB/s

Speed in Mbps6% slower than the TH Average 2.3 Mbps30% slower than your City Average 3.1 Mbps5% slower your Host Average 2.3 MbpsComparable to Your Average 2.2 MbpsYour Download Speed 2.2 Mbps01234567891011

The reason why you're getting the measly 2.2 mbit's download is that the server you're using for your test might be overloaded, on a network with bad connectivity to thailand, or several other reasons. How are you connected to your fiber optic router? through a wifi (signal ok? good speeds between wireless clients?).

Try downloading a file from this server, it's a 100 MB file full of random 1's and 0's. These are not compressable and that datacenter gets good speeds to thai's true internet network last time I checked. You're on 3BB but it might be OK too even though they're using different international gateways.

I got a server running openVPN in Germany, 3BB 13mbit gives around 2mbits international bandwidth per tcp connection. Torrents run multiple connections at the same time and may have peers in Thailand, but 3bb seems to throttle heavily, to under 6mbit during the days. Also looks like there's a monthly cap after which they throttle even more, the first few days are faster.

So I'm paying for 13mbit and get about 2-6 mbit to outside Thailand. Good enough for skype video, etc.

• Like 1

Would be nice if a pro could explain for us all to understand. THX. MS>

You do not need a pro to explain anything as it is all contained in the info above. The internet speed is simply due to the lack of bandwidth on the Thai International Internet Gateway (IIG). Testmy, which you have used is giving correct results but I think, not sure about this, that they are using 4 threads for the download speed. I use:-

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

and if you post results from the above speed test link you will see two download speeds, a single thread and x6. The single thread is what is available if you are streaming video and the x6 is what you would get from a torrent. I don't know if this helps but there are lots of posts about this on TV including quite a few from myself.