Two million foreign workers illegally work in Thailand

webfact

Two million foreign workers illegally work in Thailand

%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AE%E0%B8%B4%E0%

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Employment revealed Wednesday latest statistics pertaining to foreign workers currently employed in Thailand. It said two million foreign workers are working illegally in the country.

It said the number of foreign nationals legally employed in the country under the terms of the Department of Employment total 2,304,700 persons and of these, 1,736,740 is from Myanmar followed by Cambodian workers.

The number of foreign workers who have had their nationalities validated however, amount to only 1,824,508 persons.

Foreign workers who are working in the country under inter-nation agreements or Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) total 373,880.

On top of these, there are 160,000 foreign workers awaiting validation papers from their parent countries following application by local employers.

It also stated that 12,624 illegal foreign workers who had been employed in the fishing industry throughout Thailand have been processed and are now legally employed after their employers put up their names for consideration.

This statistic, however, is only for the period between the middle of the previous year up to the month of May of this year.

The Labour Ministry estimates that there may be as many as two million foreign workers currently employed in the country and are not registered.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/two-million-foreign-workers-illegally-work-thailand/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-19

• Like 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many of these illegals are English teachers or on liners ?

Probably a huge amount. Also not just farang, many Japanese, Cambodians etc etc.

They need to rethink some of their work permit requirements that's for sure. For example, no work on an Education Visa for one year, not many can financially support that, surely like other countries they could add a no more than 20 hours a week working policy. Change the ridiculous and pointless degree requirement to a CELTA/TEFL plus teaching demonstration and teaching interview at MoE which would mean more quality teachers which will benefit the students too. For online workers it's time for the world as a whole to get with the times and think about doing a tax share policy across countries for people who work online abroad (this is not just aimed at Thailand, but all countries).

By doing this, they will have more legal workers and less illegal ones, which means more tax and benefit to the country.

Or like the traffic laws enforce the existing laws properly as a start

The number does not supprise me- all the building sites are staffed with foreign workers, at least for the unskilled manual labor. I've also noticed many of the staff in Thai style restaurants are not Thai.

Same in the USA, when I was a kid, I cut grass for spending money. Now people hire lawn maintenance firms, staffed by Mexicans. I would wager that not one single "American" picks fruit or vegetables in the USA...

I sincerely doubt they have a clue.

If they did, they'd be arresting people up as they carried out their duties illegally at the office or classroom instead of grilling people at the airport because the poor sods didn't have the foresight to carry THB20,000 on their person to prove they've got enough money to live without working.

Probably a huge amount. Also not just farang, many Japanese, Cambodians etc etc.

They need to rethink some of their work permit requirements that's for sure. For example, no work on an Education Visa for one year, not many can financially support that, surely like other countries they could add a no more than 20 hours a week working policy. Change the ridiculous and pointless degree requirement to a CELTA/TEFL plus teaching demonstration and teaching interview at MoE which would mean more quality teachers which will benefit the students too. For online workers it's time for the world as a whole to get with the times and think about doing a tax share policy across countries for people who work online abroad (this is not just aimed at Thailand, but all countries).

By doing this, they will have more legal workers and less illegal ones, which means more tax and benefit to the country.

Look again. We're talking about ditch diggers, construction, and fishing workers here. These people are NOT coming on education visas!

The farang work scofflaws are are tiny fraction of the numbers they talk about here.

• Like 2

Look again. We're talking about ditch diggers, construction, and fishing workers here. These people are NOT coming on education visas!

The farang work scofflaws are are tiny fraction of the numbers they talk about here.

Quite agree with you. I was just responding to the English teachers and online point.

More about the situation of "foreign workers" here:

Revealed: Asian slave labour producing prawns for supermarkets in US, UK
Thai "ghost ships" that enslave, brutalise and even kill workers are linked to global prawn supply chain, Guardian investigation discovers

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/series/modern-day-slavery-in-focus

Edited by pepi2005
  • Like 2

Work habits and practices change - largely due to idiot politicians attempting to manipulate a system, in response to prodding by vested interests. In Thailand, who knows for sure, but ostensibly to prohibit educated foreigners from competing for work cherished by Thais. Also provides hush money for corrupt police.

In the US, moronic laws block kids from earning money for their education and spending.... Can't cut lawns, can't delivery newspapers, tiny kids can't sell lemonade......... but this will not change. The more nit wits in public office looking for graft and corruption money, the worse it will get.

• Like 1

So where does the "2 million illegal" come from?

you can't extrapolate it from any on the numbers above........are they going to have a phone poll?

"Are you illegal?"

"Yes, I am"

"OK, Thanks"

I have to say I'm increasingly worried about the focus on immigrants by the current media which is largely run by the junta......... I do hope they aren't trying to find a scapegoat.

One needs to bear in mind that every foreign worker has an employer, and that employer directly or indirectly whether a company or person is THAI.
Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Let's get the story right for a change. 2 million plus 3rd country nationals forced to work illegally in Thailand by unscrupulous employers. Forced to live in squatters camps, without running water, trash/garbage disposal, human waste flowing under their tin huts, no medical services, no insurance, no pay, and in the end abandoned by their employers. If I missed anything please feel free to add your perception.

Nothing new here except Cambodians are heading for the immigration gates returning home in droves due to Military takeover of Thailand. They've been through one of these before and Pol Pot was not a very good leader according to the book and movie "the Killing Fields."

Pol Pot, 2nd biggest murder in Asian history only out performed by Mao Tse Tung.

• Like 2

that wouldn't be difficult to work out.

number of schools

Average number of foreign teachers per school

Guestimate number of illegal teachers per school

and then total........

there are about 40,000 schools. On average say 3 foreign teachers per school.

how about 5% are "illegal"?

so 5% of 120,000 = 6000.

how does that sound?

of course it depends what you mean by illegal.

Just offer up an amnesty with fast track registration centres positioned at all employment offices, then let the employment office act as the agent between employer and worker cutting out the need for traffickers.

All Cambodians carry ID cards... that should be used for validation which can be made instant upon registration...

By the time these Cambodians return, I can see that they may find work is harder to find in Thailand..

Also, just before we enter ASEAN 2015 where there could be a huge influx of people from all over the region, the Cambodians may well just realize their error.