US Tax Transcripts

Not sure if this is the right section, but the great posters in this section have always seemed the most knowledgeable to me.

I need my US tax transcripts for immigration purposes. This process started around March when I sent in a 4506 T form a couple of weeks after sending in my 1040. I very naively waited for the transcripts for months (I REALLY REALLY NEED THEM BY THE WAY, as in this one piece of paper is holding me in Thailand), and I now assume that I sent that request too early and they did not have my 1040 processed yet?

A few weeks ago I got online and tried to print them at irs.gov. I could not login though. I have no idea why. I have since learned it is perhaps more difficult for first time users like myself to login from overseas? Have tried loging in every day for about a month now, and it always tells me I am entering my information incorrectly. Yet, I am staring right at the forms I sent and entering it directly from there.

I requested from irs.gov 3 weeks ago that the transcripts be mailed to me. Nothing. Maybe they will come in the next week or two, maybe not? There is no way to know, and I can't tell you how frustrating it is.

Anybody have any tips for login.... stories? same problems? Am I the only one? I am sure a big part of the problem for me is I had never used the online system before, and now my first time loging in I am overseas.

Thanks for any help.

When I tried, once again, to file my 1040 electronically this year I filled in a form to get the required PIN over and over and over again using the address etc just as I had written it on my previous 1040 and it kept informing me that it was incorrect. They gave a US IRS phone number for assistance 1-866-704-7388, but I figured I'd end up on hold for an hour running up a phone bill, so I gave up and, once again, printed my returns and mailed them in.

They seem to be super concerned about identity theft, so they have apparently doubled down on making it difficult to access personal info.

The embassy offers no assistance re the Internal Revenue Service.

I assume you reached this page: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

It indicates the page was updated on June 13 and there seem to be some links for assistance, but typically they're in unhelpful government-speak.

Good luck ... Maybe family or a friend in the US can sit on the IRS phone line and get some help for you.

post-145917-0-28242100-1403201724_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Another thought is to contact your Congressional Rep's office in the US. Part of your Rep's staff's job is to intercede in these type of matters.

Still another is to have your US accountant (if you have one) handle this.

I called the IRS in April and requested my transcripts for 2013, 2012 and 2011. It took six weeks to arrive.

Thanks. It has not been 6 weeks yet since my online request for them to be mailed. Maybe they are still on their way. I had given up hope. Thanks again for the info.

Were you on hold for a long time? I called them and waited about an hour until I ran out of credit.... very flustered and gave up on that option.

I also see somebody posted a number specifically for 4506 t issues. That may be promising.

I must say, this entire process has been terribly more difficult than it should ever be.

Edited by isawasnake

I'd like to suggest that you use Skype Out for your phone calls, especially international ones. I like to use Skype because I can just sit in front of the computer and talk. My Microsoft Lifecam 5000 has a very sensitive microphone and I can turn up the volume on my speakers as loud as I want. Skype Out only costs a few cents a minute and if you have to hold, you can do other things on your computer. I use Skype to call the USA from anywhere I am. Skype will automatically charge your credit card about $15 at a time whenever your minutes are nearly gone. All of my calls, including local ones, only cost me about $5 a month.

• Like 1

I called the IRS in April and requested my transcripts for 2013, 2012 and 2011. It took six weeks to arrive.

Thanks. It has not been 6 weeks yet since my online request for them to be mailed. Maybe they are still on their way. I had given up hope. Thanks again for the info.

Were you on hold for a long time? I called them and waited about an hour until I ran out of credit.... very flustered and gave up on that option.

I also see somebody posted a number specifically for 4506 t issues. That may be promising.

I must say, this entire process has been terribly more difficult than it should ever be.

I was on hold for only 2-3 minutes. It was about 10:30 at night when I called. Monday night April 21st. It was mailed here from Jamaica, New York 11431. The IRS rep told me she was in Philadelphia.

• Like 1

I got these yesterday. I requested 2012 and 2013. I only needed 2013 in actuality. I only received 2012. What is that law.... Murphy's? They are "processing" my return. I sent it in just before the deadline. Maybe I made a mistake on it?