will being married to me affect my wifes ability to buy property,land or businesses.

nakhonfalung

Hi,I've been married to my thai wife for 10 years now living in the uk,we are moving to resettle in Thailand shortly,we will have to register our marriage so I am able to get my marriage visa,now my wife is worried that if she is married to a foreigner it will affect her ability by law to buy property,land or business,does anyone know if this is correct,we appreciate any advice..

There might be some slight hurdle at the land office.

Maybe you and she have to sign a document stating all the money needed for buying property was in the Thai nationa's possession BEFORE the marriage.

Maybe you and she have to sign a document stating all the money needed for buying property was in the Thai nationa's possession BEFORE the marriage.

exactly....and also a document who says that the husband renounce to his rights on the property.

coffee1.gif

exactly....and also a document who says that the husband renounce to his rights on the property.

coffee1.gif

Nope this was entirely the developers stance. Did not care If she had the money before marriage or not. And did not care about the declaration. They just flat out did not want to sell the land. Only wanted to do 30 year lease hold and figured they could get away with it unless both husband and wife were thai.

One golf resort in Hua Hin refused to sell their freehold units to thai spouses, only allowing them to buy the 30 year lease option.

I had heard this one also ... not sure the same elite resort .... a case of discrimination because one has a Thai spouse!!!

Of course TiT so what is OK in one area may not be in another.

My wife recently bought land and it was straight forward at the land office.

The marriage made no difference as far as I could tell except that they were provided with copies of the marriage cert and change name cert.

I was not asked to sign anything but my Missus thinks that I am a co-owner with her.....

At the end of this month, the final signing will take place at the land office (after the initial sale, it takes about 3 months for all the paperwork to be checked and finalised prior to completing the sale and land transfer.).

I shall pay more attention and try to see if my name is included.....

I thought foreigners may only own condo's, not land.

• Like 1

My point to the OP is that in theory your wife should not give up any of her Thai rights to owning land. You may have to sign some papers and produce some documents. But in some (likely isolated) instances she may be subject to discrimination, for which you have no recourse.

In the example I referred to, perhaps they saw mixed marriage deals as too risky or troublesome as a way to justify their stance. It was not a case of financing (would have been full cash payment) or lack of willingness to sign the papers. Just a very strict policy to try to force purchase of the land as lease hold.

Thanks for all the advice,the problem might be getting the credit to buy a car or condo etc,lenders might be wary of giving credit to people married to foreigners.

If you are American, then she will find increased limits placed on her ability to open bank/investment accounts if she is married to you. Citi has told my wife that she can only have time deposits and they expect more thai banks to follow suit in the next few years - and she isn't even a green card holder!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The marriage made no difference as far as I could tell except that they were provided with copies of the marriage cert and change name cert.

I was not asked to sign anything but my Missus thinks that I am a co-owner with her.....

At the end of this month, the final signing will take place at the land office (after the initial sale, it takes about 3 months for all the paperwork to be checked and finalised prior to completing the sale and land transfer.).

Confirm that there is no problem for spouse buying land I had to sign to say that it was her money, which much of it was anyway, I don't understand the 3 months for paperwork bit, we agreed the purchase and completed the sale the next day.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Confirm that there is no problem for spouse buying land I had to sign to say that it was her money, which much of it was anyway, I don't understand the 3 months for paperwork bit, we agreed the purchase and completed the sale the next day.

The 3 months was to allow the land office to check and measure the actual plot.

I will post when it's all done

Edited by laislica

Yes, Thai wife married to a foreigner can buy a land or house but the foreign husband must sign a paper that he waives all and any rights to the property and that the property is being bought using her money only.

If I remember well, in the past the Thai wives having foreign husbands were not allowed to buy any land in Thailand but later on the law was adapted so that they could buy the land, too, but it was necessary to make sure that the farang does not get any rights whatsoever to such property purchased with his wife so this "I waive all my rights" document signed at the Land office was introduced.

I should have the answer next week but my wife said it could have been done the same day for an increased fee. The waiting time saves Big Money LOL I'll let you know