Model Sufficiency Community Will Be Set Up In Saraburi

Jai Dee

Model sufficiency community will be set up in Saraburi

Scientists are facing the challenge of turning an area in Saraburi Province, which has acid soil problem, into a sufficiency community model. The community thus can rely on itself through bio-diesel production.

Science and Technology Minister Prawit Rattanapian (ประวิช รัตนเพียร) said a bio-diesel demonstration plant will be set up under a pilot project to be implemented on 40,000 rai of land in Klong 13 of Saraburi’s Wihan Daeng (วิหารแดง) District.

Mr. Prawit said this area has faced acid soil problem so scientists have to find ways to develop the land for the growing of purging nuts and oil palm for bio-disel production. The ministry planned to prrduce 200 litres of bio-diesel per day for use in local communities..

Mr. Prawit said local participants will follow His Majesty the King’s sufficiency economy concept in making their living. He expected the project to help people depend on themselves in two years.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 22 June 2006

I seriously doubt that any community can be (self?) sufficient in this

day and age.

There is a lot more to self sufficiency than just producing Diesel fuel!!

Nevertheless a good idea, though the report is not well phrased.

I seriously doubt that any community can be (self?) sufficient in this

day and age.

There is a lot more to self sufficiency than just producing Diesel fuel!!

you cannot exactly eat diesel fuel.

my cynical side thinks this is just being used as a cover to create large palm oil plantations as seen in malaysia and indonesia - by the wealthy for the wealthy.

Permaculture ( Wikipedia.org ) is more my idea of a sufficient community - but diversification would create a more sustainable and sufficient community than a large palm nut plantation.